Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 17's for the summer, i live in Wisconsin, and i need to run at least 2 winter tires in the front for grip for snowstorms and where i work (a ski hill, parking lots get crusted with snow when they make snow).

but my question is, would a 205 size tire fit on the stock 15's? if so what sidewall would u guy recomend? i was thinking like a 205/55/15?

PS. im only gonna be putting winter tires on the 2 front rims, because only 2 tires need to get replaced for winter. the rears are fine, but the fronts are low from having tooo much fun when i first got the car...haha [:D]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Replace them all.

Replace them all or else the butt of your focus will squirrel around all over the place in the snow and ice. What good is being able to get grip on the front tires when you end up going sideways?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/winterTireInstallation.dos

And you want a narrower tire in the snow. Wide tires distribute too much of their weight over the surface and won't "dig in" very well. I'd go with a 185/60 they'll be cheaper too.

Oh, and running those winter tires will save your custom rims from salt, sludge, potholes, and other winter nasties. I ran my 17's in the winter ONCE, and will never do it again. I have 15" black steelies waiting to go on in november.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
PS. im only gonna be putting winter tires on the 2 front rims, because only 2 tires need to get replaced for winter.
the rears are fine

NO...The rears are NOT fine. (unless you like ending up in the ditch)

Black&Tan is right on the money with his suggestions. [;)]
Get all 4, or don't get any at all.

·
Registered
365 Posts
hey stolle isn't the stock size for the 15's 195 60 15. One of my friends put Blizzaks on his gti and they worked great tire rack has them for the size i mentioned for $78.00 each. I've been using Conti extreme contacts which are all season tire for winter on my stock 17's i think them work really good i was in the upper michigan to snowboard with them on and i had no trouble. but since you have the 15's get some good winter tires

nic

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wouldnt go narrower of a tire, i drove a corrola thru winter and it sucked in snow because the tires were too thin to get any good grip.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
i run a 185/65/15 on steelies in the winter. they work amazing. i ran on the stock firehawks the first year and almost killed myself. now that i've got Pirelli Winter Carving (Tirerack) on it works out well. granted its nothing like the summer rubber, but i wouldn't expect it to be either.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
i run a 185/65/15 on steelies in the winter. they work amazing. i ran on the stock firehawks the first year and almost killed myself. now that i've got Pirelli Winter Carving (Tirerack) on it works out well. granted its nothing like the summer rubber, but i wouldn't expect it to be either.
Yeah... if you're used to low profile summer tires no doubt. I anticipate a MUCH different handling car when I go to 15's with a big sidewall.

Ah well, if it means I can't take ramps at 60 mph for four months, but save my custom rims and my ass at the same time, i'm all for it.

Which brings up yet another point. Running 17 low profiles on the rear and 15 larger sidewall tires on the front... would make for some interesting handling charateristics.

Not to mention that those summer tires grip just about as well in snow as my naked butt. I ran summer's once in a michigan winter. I was AFRAID FOR MY LIFE when it snowed... even a light snow. What happens when you have great gripping tires on the front and absolutely no grip on the back?

DEATH.

Buy four tires, man... don't cheap out. Get some used off the forum. I got a set of 15's WITH blizzak's mounted for $100.00 off of the forum. Now's the time to buy'em.

If you do cheap out and end up wrecking your car, just make sure you don't spin into anyone else and take them with you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Stolle said:
i wouldnt go narrower of a tire, i drove a corrola thru winter and it sucked in snow because the tires were too thin to get any good grip.
I'll bet that the reason that your corrola sucked in the winter was not because of the narrowness of the tire, it was because they were crappy tires. Narrow tires work because they focus the entire weight of the car onto a smaller area thus getting a better bite into the snow, ice and whatever else. Still, if there is no tread, or a poorly designed tread it won't work. Look at some of the WRX cars when they are setup for winter weather, they use some pretty narrow tires, on the same cars that they use wide low profile tires for the pavement.

Example:

Ice

VS.

Snow

VS.

Dirt

VS.

Pavement

I know it's not the same angle, and they might not even be the same wheel width, but you can see how the dirt tire kind of hangs over the edges of the rim and the snow tire narrows as it gets further away from the wheel.

When I go Ice Racing I use a 175/65 or a 185/65 14 on my neon. In the summer I have 205/55 15's. Just an idea.

If the pro rally guys are using a tall narrow snow/ice tire, you should too.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I run 205/55s (/55 because Tire Rack was out of /50 profile) in the winter and I haven't had a problem with them maintaining grip with the road. Given Ohio's crazy winter weather that flips between near whiteout conditions one day and 40's and sunny the next, running narrow tires (<195) is counterproductive because on average you're driving on pavement more than snow-covered road.

Although last year I was driving on the interstate in the heart of the snowbelt during an intense storm that the DOT couldn't keep up with, and I was blowing past 4x4 trucks and SUVs with ease on heavy snow-covered roads. Of course, I also have a LSD which goes a long way in keeping my car on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts