Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 zx3, just got a good deal on a set of 205 55r16 tires to go on stock rims. Got them and after some inspection the front tires look like they have very little clearance to the strut tower. I'm afraid that it could bottom out against the tire. Has anyone ran this setup? How big of a difference between 50's and 55's? Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is your car lowered? If its stock height than iam 80% sure that u will be fine.. Im running 195/60/15's and i dropped mine 3 inches and havent had any problems.. It will fit, but it might be real bulky looking ( the tire will hang out more than the rim) but it will only be a little. Hope that helps [dunno]

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
dude 55 is way too meaty I think it may rub insanely or just be loud and your gonna get alot of that weird bouncing feeling on the freeway...it could possibly work on stock suspension

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
yeah its stock height. What I am worried about is the height of the sidewall, is it too tall?
You should not have any problems on the stock suspension.

Yes, the sidewall/tire is a little taller, but not enough to cause any rubbing. Many have the 205 55 16's as there are more to choose from plus they "soften" up the ride a little due to the taller sidewall.

Enjoy your new tires[thumb] .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow is there that much of a difference between the 50's and 55's? I'm pretty sure it came stock with the 205 50 16's

·
Registered
187 Posts
I run 205/55/R16s on my '05 ST with no issues; and it is lower than your ZX3. I live in Michigan with a lot of bumps and potholes. I've never had them rub.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
You won't get any rub unless your suspension is on it's last legs.

Here's a pic off my first ZX3 with stock suspension and Tein S-Tech lowering springs. Those tires were 55 series and I never had any rub issues. Only for this one day tho...lol

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
theres not much difference. they look a little taller, but you will have no problem rubbing.
i use 205/55R16 on stock 16" alloys and i dont rub even with a 3" drop

1 - 15 of 15 Posts