Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I live in MTL QC and there is a new law that winter tires have to be used from Nov to April.

I have been online for hours trying to find a student deal or something on winter tires. The best I found is Michelin Alpine for $105 US each that ships only to US for about $12 per tire.
My wheels are factory ones 205/50/16.

In addition to tires one of my rims is extremely dented and needs to be replaced.

The rims are those that come on ZX5 SES 2005.
I only wanna find used one thats now dented but its not easy.

Now here is the story. My current 5-months-old tires lost the perfect circular shape from crappy MTL roads and my whole car shakes/vibrates on highway like crazy. One of the mechanics told me that reason tires got bad so fast is because my shocks are gone and don't absorb enough anymore and that if I put new tires on they will go bad in few months. Car has 100,000 km on it mostly highways from MTL to TO and Ottawa couple of times per month. Other mechanics say nothing about shocks. What would you do if you were in my position?

Thanks in advance.

Pedja

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi,

I have a set of winter tires 15" on Ford factory steel rims (Came stock with my 05 ZX3 SE the rims that is) You will pay big money for 16" winter tires. We put 15" on my wife's 05 ZX5. I am looking for $400 plus shipping. If interested let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey

thanks for the reply
I do realize that its more expensive because of 16" rims but is it ok to switch to 15 inch?
Doesn't the computer get messed up? Assuming I install 15 inch rims instead what tires I have to put not to affect anything? For example right now its 205/50/16. With 15 rims what would have to be? 205/??/15?

You asking $400 for rims with tires on it right?
which tires are they?
how many kms have you driven on them?

thanks a lot
Pedja

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi,

They are called Snowkings and they have about 10000km's on them, with tonnes of tread left on them. Honestly they look like they are brand new. And no, they won't mess with your computer, as the rim and tire size are the same as your 16's as the 16 has a low profile tire on it. Oh and ya $400 for the tires and rims plus shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool
you can email me to [email protected] and tell me where you live cause in case you are in ottawa or TO area i can come and pick up wheels to save cash on shipping.

i am waiting for your email

thanks a lot
Pedja

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha!
just saw ur profile so i know where u from now :D

tell me what would be estimated cost for shipping wheels to Ottawa or Montreal or Toronto which ever of the 3 options is cheaper its fine with me

thanks
pedja

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i used miata tire calculator online to find out when i downsize to 15 inch rims I need 195/60/15 tires. Yours are those?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Get an alignment first off. If you have had a couple good hits in some pot holes and such this may be part of the problem, seeing that you have a bad rim. Without seeing the car you would have to be the judge if it needs shocks and struts. But if you don't think it does start with an alignment. IMHO the P6's aren't a great tire and they are over priced.

Also, If you really search you can find great deals on tires. At a local tire shop in Toronto I found a set of tires for $89ea. Just get on the phone and call around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have changed both rims with tires and there is no shaking now.
My tires completely lost the original shape (I saw it myself at the shop) from worn off shocks. Now I will replace shocks to protect new wheels. I have read somewhere how focus always makes tones of noise at rear when going over bumps and it is so true...

After new shocks are installed I will do alignment ...

·
Registered
403 Posts
My car is 6 years old and I don't have any noise at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its possible cause in less than 3 years I covered 115 000 km mostly highway and worst canadian roads=Montreal. Roads are unpredictable in depth and size of pot holes. Words cant explain. I found this high quality shocks with life time warranty. Might spend extra few bucks on them. You dont have front springs problem? 2000-2002 focus was well known for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts