Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I'm looking to buying a new set of 205-40-17's real soon and I'm trying to get ideas on what you guys think is the overall best under $300, I'm currently running nexen n3000's but i dont want summer tires anymore i never race but i drive ALOT cuz of school and work so basically looking for an all-season performace

I'm heavily leaning close to falken 912's since i've read those are about the best tires for my needs, also heard good things about nitto neo gens and not so good things about the kumho's cuz they have bad treadwear, nexen n7000's is another choice

appreciate the input!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
neogen....I love mine......

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
they ride quiet, stick like flies on pooh, and I never hydroplaned.....I will never buy any other tire than neogen

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
nice tires. too low of a profile for pot hole land here. i just had to get rid of my 205/40's and get 225/45's

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
and they come with the protective lip.....all though if the hole is big enough it will bite your rim regardles...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Falkens = BAD. on my SVT I had a set and then an alignment, 4900 miles later another new set, 4500 miles after that smooth as drag slicks. on my 17's I have Wanli's and on my stock wheels some blizzaks

·
Registered
401 Posts
i have also had really bad luck with the 912's. Went through two sets in less than 10,000 miles. I highly recommend staying away from them. Check out the Toyo Proxes TPT i have them on now and they are doing great so far!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
My son has a set of 912's on his Subaru and they've been great. Grassroots Motorsports picked them as there favorite performance all-season tire after comparisons to several other tires. Here's some other very good all-season tires.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Yokohama Avid H4's or V4's
General Altimax HP

Tirerack's testing gave all of these good reviews.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm running the Neogen's as well, they're camber resistant, and I love them, they've had almost triple the life that my old cheap Conti's and Kuhmo's were living, i'll probably not buy any other model tire unless they can outperform the Nitto's....

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
40s will ride rough. my last tires were 215/40/17. it was rough. of course, birmingham has bad roads. worried me that i'd bend a rim. now i've got 215/45/17, still looks good, fills out that slight bit extra in the wheel well, less worry about bent rims, and probably notice a slightly better ride.

i had 2 the the 912's in my last set of tires. the other 2 were azenis that were close to new when i got the rims from a guy. the tires didn't last. i probably drove it a little hard, but not beating it. the alignment was indeed bad for a while, so i'll concede to that fact and that definitely was the cause of the uneven wear pattern. even so, i definitely didn't get 25,000 miles out of those tires. actually, the 912's were nearly race slicks by the time i replaced all 4. the 2 azenis, which the guy had estimated had 5-8,000 miles on them when he sold me the rims, they had more tread left. tires had been rotated a few times. again, bad alignment caused uneven wear...but still, those 2 tires were SLICK. though before going bad, they were great. loved them.

anyways, just a few months back i had to replace all 4, on a budget, so i actually ordered the nankang ns-1 from discounttire.com for about $65 each. older model tire, chinese company, and cheap. though being an older model is part of the price being THAT low. even so, i won't claim they're amazing, but i've been a bit shocked by them. they're outperforming the price tag and i've got 5,000+ miles. if you're tight on cash, think about.

with all that said, next time i'm up for tires, i'll likely consider the falkens again. i do believe falken guanantees the 912 them for 40,000 miles, so check on that and find out what you have to do to make sure they get replaced if they don't last. with that guarantee, i'd buy them again.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
dont look at getting the lower model dunlop tires. i had some mid range model dunlop tires and i had to get rid of them since they were dry rotting.

and do you have problems with rubbing? honestly 40 is a bit low for 17" wheels(unless your car i dumped). have you tired looking at getting 45's? here is a pic of my car with 205/45/17 17x7s:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n57/DeadlyDean/02 Ford Focus ZX5/DSC01366.jpg

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have fuzion HRi's right now. They arent to bad. I have heard good and bad things about them.
You buy them already?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts