Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a nice deal, nice rims with those 205/40/17 tires.. has anyone tried those? or too low for these roads with eibach pros?

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
I've been running them....haven't had any problems with mine. You'll "feel" the road a bit more if their are alot of pot holes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same here. I'm running the same setup and I have had no problems. The road is a lil more bumpy but thats what you get when you go with lower stiffer springs and a thinner tire. I personally like to feel the road underneath me.[thumb]

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol im kinda scared for 40, bumps and stuff, so what is the worst thing if i go in a big pothole? blow the tire? bend the rim?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
depends ont he rim... some rims are better quality. I run 215/40's and i'v hit some holes. i live on some shit ass roads and i'm fine. I might bump dowo to 205/40's next just to see the diff in ride height

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wait, maybe im wrong, but thats what i always thought, isnt 215 is the width of the tire, and 40 is the height? so im saying that ud stay with the same height of tire and just change the width?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
first number is the height. That's why the 205 is a much lower profile than say a 225/40.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
depends ont he rim... some rims are better quality. I run 215/40's and i'v hit some holes. i live on some shit ass roads and i'm fine. I might bump dowo to 205/40's next just to see the diff in ride height
ok im confused now.. so ur saying by getting 205s car is gonna be lower i know, but distance between the tire and the fender is gonna decrease also?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
you should have "more" room in your fender with the lower profile tire. It's a shorter tire. Not by much but it's shorter. So it won't be filling the gap so much. The svt uses a 225/45/17 i believe stock. Don't quote me. But when they lower their cars a good bit... that tire is too tall and wide for some drops so it could rub. I have a 1.5 inch drop and some with 215/40/17 with 40offset wheel and have not rubbed yet

·
Registered
159 Posts
first number is the height. That's why the 205 is a much lower profile than say a 225/40.
R U sure about that, I always thought first # was width, second number was height.[wrenchin]

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
205 width in mm

40 is 40% of 205 that makes up the height

and 17 is of course the rim size

so if you want to upsize a tire you do +10 -5

so on the svt the stock size is 215/45/17

to go wider +10=225 and -5=40 will give you the same rolling diamater of the tire within a few mm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts