Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
205/40/17 tires... (new questions)

Ok, so I just got my new wheels from wheels next, and they've packaged them with 205/40/17 tires.

I know that 205/45 is reccomended; am I going to have any problems with the lower 40% sidewall? Aside from making my drop less impressive, that is...

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the same tires, haven't ahd any problems really, once I bent a rim somehow and needed it replaced and the tire as well since I drove on it for a week without knowing it was bent & leaking air ... I have ASA JS6 rims & Fuzion HRi & ZRi tires

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
as long as you don't hit any pot holes, you shouldn't have any problems. YOur ride quality will probably suck too. What is your sidewall about 3.5 inches? As long as you don't have the 5 spoke svt wheels, your rims will hopefully not bend in a worst case scenario. ALso depending on your stoc wheel/tire size, your spedo might be slightly off.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Its a difference of roughly 1cm of sidewall...the bottom line is, if you hit a pothole that's big enough to damage the tire or wheel that extra centimeter isn't going to do anything for you in saving the sidewall or preventing your wheel from bending. That said, you should still dodge potholes and other road obstacles/debris whenever possible when running a low-profile tire.

·
Registered
461 Posts
word, and don't drive in places like MD where potholes are abound, and speeding is not punishable by law!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need more advice...

Thanx for the info, folks.

Two more things that hopefully someone will chime in on- the wheels and tires in question were purchased from wheelsnext.com, and the included tires were Autogard brand.

Has anyone heard of these tires? Any opinions?

Secondly, while the tires aren't directional ( no rotation arrow on sidewalls), and all 4 had the side marked outside facing out, the tires on the passenger side have the tread sweeping toward the back of the car while the ones on the driver side have the tread sweeping forward. Is this normal? The car's riding pretty crappy since I put these on, and I think that tread issue may be to blame...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
describe crappy and what size was on it before. I had stock rims and put 214 45 17 on mine and yit had allot rougher ride and yours will too

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
elliottcarlose said:
describe crappy and what size was on it before. I had stock rims and put 214 45 17 on mine and yit had allot rougher ride and yours will too
Actually, I was running 215/35/18's on different wheels before these, and while those were smooth, wanted to go down in wheel size and gain some sidewall b/c of all the potholes around here.

By crappy, the best way I can describe it is that it feels like the wheels are wobbling back and forth... the car just feels like it's getting pushed side to side.

·
Registered
461 Posts
that's probably due to the treads then ... can you have them rotated so thetreads are facing one way? I know when I bought my wheels, Firestone put the new tires i bought on them, and said they otherwise charged bout $30 to switch a tire to another rim for you, maybe an option?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pLaYa2284 said:
that's probably due to the treads then ... can you have them rotated so thetreads are facing one way? I know when I bought my wheels, Firestone put the new tires i bought on them, and said they otherwise charged bout $30 to switch a tire to another rim for you, maybe an option?
That might be an option, but then some of the tires would have the mfr. recommended "outside" verbiage facing in. And that just depresses me. Really, if the tires I have are from a company that doesn't know how their tires are supposed to be mounted, I'm not sure I want those tires on my car.

I have to admit, as I read more about tires and everything tonight, I think I might just buy something better than the Autogards that came w/ the wheels and be done with it.

Anyone else have any opions on the Autogards?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts