Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Not improved. Replaced. Starting with 2017 Ford Focus automatics were not supplied with the dual clutch automatics that were so problematic. 2017-2018 Focuses have conventional automatic transmissions. I'm not a fan of automatics (I have a Focus six speed manual) but the transmission in your 2018 should be fine.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27438193/ford-powershift-transmission-problems/
Not true. There is a version with a 1.0 3 cylinder and conventional transmission. But the 2.0 4 cylinder version still comes with the dual clutch, though it is much improved with the mid 2017 MY. If the article you linked is your source, you need to read it a bit closer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I'm looking at moving from a 2014 Focus w/Powershift drama (5 tranmission issues/fixes in 77k miles) to a 2018 with 7500 miles and Ford Certified warranty.

I keep seeing that the transmission was improved but I am somewhat a little leery.

Was the 18 MY tranny improved? Still has issues but not as bad? A complete fluster cuck?

Thoughts?
Not improved. Replaced. Starting with 2017 Ford Focus automatics were not supplied with the dual clutch automatics that were so problematic. 2017-2018 Focuses have conventional automatic transmissions. I'm not a fan of automatics (I have a Focus six speed manual) but the transmission in your 2018 should be fine.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27438193/ford-powershift-transmission-problems/
My window sticker is for the Poweshift on my 18 2.0. Its a dct still lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I'm looking at moving from a 2014 Focus w/Powershift drama (5 tranmission issues/fixes in 77k miles) to a 2018 with 7500 miles and Ford Certified warranty.

I keep seeing that the transmission was improved but I am somewhat a little leery.

Was the 18 MY tranny improved? Still has issues but not as bad? A complete fluster cuck?

Thoughts?
I think I'm done with Ford. I've had 2 rangers, 1 sporttrac, 2 foci (2005 and 2013), 1 F150 and 1 Escape. I bought the 2013 Focus to give to my daughter and now she's stuck with complete piece of crap. I just can't think of an excuse for that car's transmission and Ford's complete lack of caring about it. I read other comments about all cars having some issues and YES that is 100% right but these problems outweigh any I've ever seen before.

So now I own a car that has almost no resale value, can't be truly fixed and may leave my daughter on the side of the road at any moment. That's just not the Ford I've known in the past. I guess things always change though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2018 dct. Its been good for a year. Started getting weird shifts and noises. Found running premium gas clears up a lot of shift issues and those funky noises.
Makes car very smooth (as a dct can be). Totally different car running premium. Liking it a lot now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 dct. Its been good for a year. Started getting weird shifts and noises. Found running premium gas clears up a lot of shift issues and those funky noises.
Makes car very smooth (as a dct can be). Totally different car running premium. Liking it a lot now.
Do you have a flex fuel?

·
Registered
62 Posts
No. But after reading manual again, which says for best results use premium, I would give it a try. I really think this engine was designed (by Mazda) for premium and Ford made it work with 87.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We bought a brand new 2018 back in March to complement our 2014.

We had few qualms about the transmission, although we purchased the 8 yr 100k Ford extended warranty for $1100; you should be able to get it on yours as it is still under warranty. Go to flood ford's site for a quote; our dealer beat their price...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I think I'm done with Ford. I've had 2 rangers, 1 sporttrac, 2 foci (2005 and 2013), 1 F150 and 1 Escape. I bought the 2013 Focus to give to my daughter and now she's stuck with complete piece of crap. I just can't think of an excuse for that car's transmission and Ford's complete lack of caring about it. I read other comments about all cars having some issues and YES that is 100% right but these problems outweigh any I've ever seen before.

So now I own a car that has almost no resale value, can't be truly fixed and may leave my daughter on the side of the road at any moment. That's just not the Ford I've known in the past. I guess things always change though.
Bummer to hear you bought a mk3 foci for your daughter. Like all vehicle manufacturers, Ford doesn't make all good vehicles threw out they're whole line up. I cherry pick the size/class of vehicle from all the manufactures, not just one only. They all make great products depending on what category your looking for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bummer to hear you bought a mk3 foci for your daughter. Like all vehicle manufacturers, Ford doesn't make all good vehicles threw out they're whole line up. I cherry pick the size/class of vehicle from all the manufactures, not just one only. They all make great products depending on what category your looking for.
There's still a lot of good compact car manufacturers (look at all those Japanese imports). The Focus with the non-DCT is as well. Everyone just needs to read up a lot more about each vehicle's defects and faults before purchasing one.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hm. The idea of premium gas might be good to try. I have a 2013 se sedan. I like the car, but honestly, don't buy a new one if they are still the dct. I checked, and with 101,000 miles, my trade in is only 2000ish dollars. They probably won't be worth much on trade since Ford is phasing then out. If you want a small American car, we've also got a 2016 Chevy Sonic. It's ok, but I'm kind of looking stuff from Hyundai. Haven't really looked into all their stuff, but the Elantra and their SUVs look nice.

My wife wants an SUV at some point. I'm thinking we may look at a used Honda or Toyota SUV, maybe a used Hyundai.

·
Registered
159 Posts
...They probably won't be worth much on trade since Ford is phasing then out. ...
But now they are a "Rare Find!", lol.

...My wife wants an SUV at some point. I'm thinking we may look at a used Honda or Toyota SUV, maybe a used Hyundai. ...
I've heard good things about the Nissan Rogue, buddy of mine's company uses them as fleet vehicles. They used to use Ford Escape's... but were having alot of minor issues with them, enough to push them to the Nissan's.

·
Registered
918 Posts
They probably won't be worth much on trade since Ford is phasing then out.
The MK3's resale value was bad before they phased them out. The DCT gave it poor reliability ratings.

I've heard good things about the Nissan Rogue, buddy of mine's company uses them as fleet vehicles. They used to use Ford Escape's... but were having alot of minor issues with them, enough to push them to the Nissan's.
Unless Nissan had some major shift in the past few years, they are generally poorly rated for reliability. I wouldn't jump from a Ford to Nissan for better quality.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know I read that, kind of questioned. If you ever watch an older mechanic named Scotty Kilmer on youtube, he has lots of videos, but he does not like the newer Nissans for reliability. They make some nice looking cars, but I don't know that I'd buy one.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts