Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm looking at moving from a 2014 Focus w/Powershift drama (5 tranmission issues/fixes in 77k miles) to a 2018 with 7500 miles and Ford Certified warranty.

I keep seeing that the transmission was improved but I am somewhat a little leery.

Was the 18 MY tranny improved? Still has issues but not as bad? A complete fluster cuck?

Thoughts?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I'd pass on any thoughts of a buying a '12-'18 automatic foci.....Wish full thinking that ford is going to put any big $ towards doing anything. They might of tweaked it but thats it. You can try to justify it all day, but its still no good.....A great handling car w/ a total messed up trans. Get a stick if you want a foci or step up to a st.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
IDK what to tell you but I find some vehicles are that way.....Quite a few different vehicles are awesome in one or a few area's, but plagued w/ some mechanical deficiencies.......

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hello,
I'm looking at moving from a 2014 Focus w/Powershift drama (5 tranmission issues/fixes in 77k miles) to a 2018 with 7500 miles and Ford Certified warranty.

I keep seeing that the transmission was improved but I am somewhat a little leery.

Was the 18 MY tranny improved? Still has issues but not as bad? A complete fluster cuck?

Thoughts?
Is the 2018 a 2.0 4 cyl or a 1.0 3 cyl ecoboost?

The 1.0 3 cyl ecoboost models have a conventional automatic and are not plagued by issues like that junkbox dsp the 4 cyl models have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the 2.0.

Hello,

Thoughts?
Is the 2018 a 2.0 4 cyl or a 1.0 3 cyl ecoboost?

The 1.0 3 cyl ecoboost models have a conventional automatic and are not plagued by issues like that junkbox dsp the 4 cyl models have.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Just get a 1.0. Better engine, much better automatic transmission.
The auto trans for sure, but a 1 liter in a lighter car such as the fiesta makes more sense vs pushing the weight of the foci....I wouldn't say the 3 pot is better then a 4 pot......

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just go with a stick-shift or a 1.0L Automatic.

Or go for any other manufacturer with a competent automatic transmission other then a Ford Focus. Even the 2018s autos have issues.

I'm surprised this question is even asked. Go take a read at the literally thousands of DCT comments and judge for yourself.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The auto trans for sure, but a 1 liter in a lighter car such as the fiesta makes more sense vs pushing the weight of the foci....I wouldn't say the 3 pot is better then a 4 pot......
The only real drawback to the 1.0 cars is content.
They are all basically base models everywhere i see them.
Id kill for a sunroof on my focus.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
The only real drawback to the 1.0 cars is content.
They are all basically base models everywhere i see them.
Id kill for a sunroof on my focus.
Yea that'd be great.....It'd add more weight as you know. The main purpose to buy a 3 pot is mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Thoughts?
The old issues were fixed from what I have read. I have an 18 auto as well. I know many people conplain about issues with these online, but I havent met one person that has had any issues.. 2 guys at my work have 2014 and 2015s and they are both over 100k with no issues. I think a partial issue is that the dct is is an "automatic manual" so it must be driven like a manual in terms of driving habits. Also just like a manual I expect stop and go traffic/driving will kill clutches faster than expected. I wouldnt worry much until if you get issues.

But if it was me I wouldnt chance it with the dct.

·
Registered
150 Posts
my aunt has a 2017 Titanium with 91,000 and she has never had the car in for any transmission issues and my friend has a 2018 SEL with 35,763 and no problems. Just thought id chime in with there cars. My aunt had a front wheel bearing go bad, 2 batteries, brakes, 2 sets of tires and oil changes every 3,000 miles that's about it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 17 SEL, 0 DCT issues at 60,000 miles. My wife's 14 Titanium had the trans rebuilt at 52000 miles and now has 140,000 with no DCT issues. The fix is a one day in the shop and I would have no problem buying an 18 Focus with the DCT. With 200,000 combined miles, it just has not been a big deal to us.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello,

Thoughts?
I traded my 2017 for a 2018 and the tranny has been fine. I, too, had numerous 'fixes' performed on my 2017 and got a nice check from Ford. Don't hesitate on the 2018.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

Thoughts?
Not improved. Replaced. Starting with 2017 Ford Focus automatics were not supplied with the dual clutch automatics that were so problematic. 2017-2018 Focuses have conventional automatic transmissions. I'm not a fan of automatics (I have a Focus six speed manual) but the transmission in your 2018 should be fine.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27438193/ford-powershift-transmission-problems/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts