Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a shakedown last fall where we ran in just a few races, this year we are doing the full season in our local club and also attending neighboring events in Medford.

Siskyou Sports Car Club hosted their Spring Enduro up in Medford in March. Track was damp for most of the weekend but we were hooked up solid, posting a win in H-Street and a 4th best PAX time out of 55 timed entries http://www.ssccmedford.org/documents/results/2017-Spring-Enduro-results.pdf This was with stock suspension, pretty worn brakes, and brand new 300tw MPSS tires.

Ready for Tech!

On the track

We raced in 3 pre-season events with our local club ( Trinity Touring Club), with a best finish of 1st in H Street and 2nd in PAX for the January race, when my nemesis in the Fiesta ST didn't make it out. Otherwise he has taken the H-Street win and PAX in every event we've competed at this year.

Our season started in April, but I missed that race due to travel. The club runs a best of 8 out of 9 races for season points. The May race was last weekend, and we managed a 2nd in H-Street behind the Fiesta St, and an 8th in PAX out of 45 entries.

Shasta AutoX Challenge Series Race #2 Pics

Plans for the car - brakes, wheels/tires, dampers

Brakes: Parts car has a great set of stock rotors and EBC Red pads that I'm going to swap onto the race car after our next two day race in June.

Wheels/Tires: I have a set of 16" Motegi Traklites from the parts car that I plan to get repaired this summer so I can run a set of dedicated 200tw tires on a lighter wheel - hope to have this done by end of July.

Dampers: I'm shopping right now for Koni Yellows to replace the stock dampers - if anyone knows of a great place to get them, lemme know!

Registered
Cheapest Koni Yellow rears I could find a few weeks back was Summit Racing - delayed shipping, but on the way now. Can't help on fronts, sourced unused locally from a fellow enthusiast.

Thread title references STF - be cautious progressing in that direction.....reclassifification of the SVT FOR 2018 is coming.

FUBARCUS
Cheapest Koni Yellow rears I could find a few weeks back was Summit Racing - delayed shipping, but on the way now. Can't help on fronts, sourced unused locally from a fellow enthusiast.

Thread title references STF - be cautious progressing in that direction.....reclassifification of the SVT FOR 2018 is coming.
I'm definitely nervous for next year in terms of classes. I'm currently STF and while there are currently no cars local that really compete I don't know how much I like the rumored change.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
No worries - thread title just meant SVTF = Focus, didn't mean to confuse things. Our club hasn't really had much interest in STF. Most of the fwd cars that come out are turbo and have basic mods - I think they race in STX. I'm kinda clueless about car classes and need to learn more about them.

I'm curious what is planned for next year and will check that link.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Also just figured out that the Traklites are not going to be legal for H-Street. They are 16 x 6.5, a 1/2 inch too narrow. I don't know if anyone would protest at my local club since it would seem the performance advantage would be minimal (lighter weight I guess), but I could see it being an issue when I race with neighboring clubs.

Registered
ya, konis come on sale %20 off every few months.

not many good sizes of the Bridgestones in 16". although the 205/45R16 is interesting. its only 23" tall, so you would improve your gearing a fair bit.

FUBARCUS
Also just figured out that the Traklites are not going to be legal for H-Street. They are 16 x 6.5, a 1/2 inch too narrow. I don't know if anyone would protest at my local club since it would seem the performance advantage would be minimal (lighter weight I guess), but I could see it being an issue when I race with neighboring clubs.
I don't think most people will notice or complain. Just don't give out the specs. If you start constantly winning then people may nitpick.

At least that is how my region I run is.

Old Phart
Confused by the half inch too NARROW comment.

6" wide would be stock... 6.5" is a half inch wider. 17" wheels for SVT came in 7" wide.

Specific allowance for 7" wheels only??

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
In street class, the allowance is 1" diameter +/- stock but no allowance for a change in width. The SVT came with 7" width and I believe I have to run that to be legit. If I have that wrong I'd love to know.

This may turn into a 2018 plan because it looks like one of the wheels I have isn't repairable, and finding another one has been difficult so far. They would be a great set of dedicated race wheels tho, so I'll keep at it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
2017 Season Update

It was an absolute blast racing the SVT this year. I competed in a total of 11 events with my local club here in Nor Cal, plus 2 enduros up in Medford, over 100 race runs all together for the year. It was a tortoise and hare season - every time I finished 2nd, it was to a Fiesta ST, but those guys didn't make it to enough events to challenge me for the season win. My season results were 2 wins, 6 2nd place finishes, H Street Class Champ, and a PAX rank of 4th.

The car has ran flawlessly all year and nothing broke. I did a complete overhaul of the brakes in June (Motorcraft OEM rotors, EBC Red Stuff pads, rebuilt calipers, fluid flush - details and pics in my Build thread) which it really needed.

Here are a few pics from the season:

And a few videos, starting with the mistakes - I hope these encourage anyone who would like to try autocross but is worried about screwing up and embarrassing themselves that it is okay to blow it - just shake it off, and try again!

DNF at the Start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpMRbx8qtk&feature=youtu.be

At the start, I was supposed to turn in to the lane PAST the double cones, but instead went up nearest lane, and then was totally confused when the track wasn't where I expected it (the lane I was supposed to be in is on my right up until my ungracefully left turn and exit of the course). Red flagged! I did better the next time.

12 Seconds to Spin Out - SSCC Fall Enduro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmwgTg7XpTg&feature=youtu.be

Previous day, afternoon practice, I kept coming into that sweeper with more and more speed, and the car was just planted. Next morning, this is still in my head - "I can carry more speed into that sweeper!" - but it is 9:30 in the morning, 20 degrees cooler, I was just starting my first practice laps so cold tires, and I was not at all prepared when the back end said 'nope' and around I went. Truly an embarrassing move as it also required a clean up of the track. I had dirt everywhere in the car - door pockets, vents, you name it - to remind for a couple weeks about what a dumb move that was. I treated that corner with a lot more respect after this.

Final Lap @ Speed - SSCC Fall Enduro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k92WUCGjFW8&feature=youtu.be

Fast, fun track, loooong and fast straight into that sweeper, and it is awesome when you do it right ... this is the last lap of 5. Finished a distant 56th out of 64 cars, 32nd in PAX, and ran 2nd in H Street to a '93 Accord Coupe on new RE-71Rs. Still had a blast and will be heading back up there for the Spring enduro in April.

Final Run - TTC Shasta AutoX Challenge Series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oBaRYB4uY&feature=youtu.be

Final race of the year at my home club. Crazy cone course, it had a Chicago Box, it had chicanes, it had circles, it was nuts. This was the day I beat one of the Fiesta St's on raw time / no penalties for the very first time, and this was my fastest run of the day.

I hope you guys enjoyed the videos and the update. If any of you peeps are in the North State, check out our club www.trinitytouringclub or www.facebook.com/trinitytouringclub and come race with us! We have people join us from all over and everyone is welcome. Our preseason starts January 21st and I can't wait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts