Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2017 Ford Focus RS is the best hot hatch for the money. It eclipses all that has come before it through a masterful balance of performance and everyday liveability. It is, in many ways, the benchmark of what a performance hatch should be, but it’s not without its flaws.
2017 Ford Focus RS Review | CarAdvice

9.5 out of 10, or 9/10 if more airbags is your thing.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Rs has the sport hatchback market down. I wish Subaru would make a sti hatch so we could get a hatch war going. Si, rs, and sti, each have there pros and their cons, it would be fun to see

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Rs has the sport hatchback market down. I wish Subaru would make a sti hatch so we could get a hatch war going. Si, rs, and sti, each have there pros and their cons, it would be fun to see
The sedan body is stiffer then a hatch= thanx to not having a big opening in the rear.

·
Rebecca
18,759 Posts
Personally, I always said, if you get a WRX get a hatch because they look cool, if you get an STI, get the sedan so you get the ridiculous spoiler and stand out. The STI hatches didn't really stand out that much from the WRX versions imo

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do people think? of this opinion?

I found in my dad's Focus S (S for sport) that the ride felt a bit stiff, but maybe it's just because I'm used to a sedan? Can't imagine what it would be like in an RS.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Personally, I always said, if you get a WRX get a hatch because they look cool, if you get an STI, get the sedan so you get the ridiculous spoiler and stand out. The STI hatches didn't really stand out that much from the WRX versions imo

I bought the hatch because of the utility/versatility and not really a fan of the wing and still overall the hatch of the previous gen looks better than the sedan by far.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The sedan body is stiffer then a hatch= thanx to not having a big opening in the rear.
With the MK3 that's not strictly true there felix.
Consider yourself free to ignore the slightly frumpy sedan. “Well, strangely, it’s the sedan that achieves a 0.297 coefficient of drag,” Callum points out, although he counts it as a pyrrhic victory. Ford’s engineers confessed that the hatchback is torsionally stiffer than the sedan, a trait they claim lends it “sharper handling, with a slightly clearer sense of straight ahead.”  We thought so, too.
2012 Ford Focus Drive: Ford Focus Review - Car and Driver

The hatch was stiffer than the sedan, though not quantified in the reported discussion with the engineers.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Subie had trouble with the Hatch versions for Rally racing, not balanced well enough over jumps. Tended to land on their nose.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting comment about the clutch... my 240Z has a real heavy clutch. What I like about my RS over my previous ST is driving in the rain. The ST would shudder as wheels slipped and then the traction control took over. I usually turned it off in the rain. The RS awd doesn't do that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would have preferred a sedan for a lockable trunk. I've removed the rear cover in my RS since someone broke my "vent" window to look under it to see if I had anything of value. (I didn't). and this happened twice to my wife's Volt. So we removed the covers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts