Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having mad trouble finding led conversion kits that include low and high beams. High beam leds are especially difficult to find. Looking at converting all my exterior lights. I would like to make sure the high and low beam leds are manufactured by the same brand to prevent any differences. I am pulling my hair out trying to find any quality LEDs. Diode Dynamics has a good kit for low beams but nothing for high beams ( as far as I know).

Thank you! Any help would be appreciated!

Trying to make my focus more modern and safer for my wife when she gets it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
This may or may not be helpful.
Over on the Fiesta ST site I'm on we have someone that is obsessed with LEDs probably over 1,000 LED post.
For the low beam the most recommended bulb that people have been happy with is the techmax mini. Most people don't upgrade the high beam to LED because it's not really necessary. Some people do and I know for the h1 you have to get some type of bulb holder clip to hold it in.
On the site someone teamed up with the guy that owns BulbFacts | Compare the best headlight bulbs all in one place!

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much brighter is a led lowbeam than the high beam? Thank you for the information, it really helps.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'll post some links to the crazy LED discussions they have on a different site.

A high beam is not necessarily brighter than the low beam it's just at a different placement in the headlight assembly. The low beam is also shielded by a reflector on your car, and the high beam is not shielded by anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info. Just bought a pair of aukee hi beams and low beams to give a try. I cant wait to see what an led conversion will do. I have learned a TON about leds and other types of lighting in the last few days. Glad there are good recourses to go to for advice such as yourself out there.:)💡🚗

·
Registered
788 Posts
One thing I will recommend is after you install them you may need to adjust your headlights, so you don't blind people it just depends. Sometimes you need to sometimes you don't.
Also when you install the LED make sure the chips face 3 and 9 a clock. Some people make the mistake of installing 12 and 6.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When installing should I drill holes in the dust caps for ventilation of the fan from the LED? I'm afraid of putting a lot of load on the fan and no where to push the hot air. Thanks

·
Registered
788 Posts
Some guys don't put anything on the back I don't know if that's the best idea. Some make cuts in it, and some actually buy larger dust cap covers. I believe they are fairly cheap on Amazon and such.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I cant wait to install the leds this weekend! I'm supposed to get them tommarow. The leds I got are neat because the beam pattern is adjustable. I think you can move the leds around and lock it in screw it place for the correct focus. Should I adjust the headlight or leave it with the same position as the hologens? hope they last. I bought some resistors in case of error showing up on dash. I live in the countryside so they should be a big help. Hopefully they dont make my car fail inspection. Not sure how the dealership would react with a conversion like that. I'm new to the leds. I'm going to get led reverse and break lights too in a month or two when I get more $

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I dont forget I'll post pictures of the new headlights. Looking forward to my first real project with my car lol

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just make sure the LEDs are facing at 3 and 9. If they are not then adjust. You also may need to adjust your headlight housing so you're not blinding people. Lots of videos on YouTube can explain this much better. It's really the driver side you need to worry about, it's normal to have it a couple inches lower than the passenger side. I like LED license plate lights, and LED reverse lights. I don't mess with the turn signals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made a bad mistake and got a pair of Au-kee headlamps. Only one worked and the high beams didn't fit even with clips. I was so frustrated since I made a nice set up for it. Mounted resistors with zip ties and everything. Made nice cutouts on the rubber dust caps to run the cables to the resistors. It looked nice. It was a disappointment to have the one led not work or even function. The high beams didn't fit even with clips. I learned a valuable lesson to be careful what parts I buy. I will buy the top rated leds that bulb facts recomend. As for high beams I will do more homework on. I might just let those alone too as those are pretty bright alright. It is a learning experience though for a newbie like myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should I buy a error decoder/resistor for the led lights? Not sure If it is necessary for the focus. That should be the last of my questions lol
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Not quite sure I know for the fiesta it is definitely not needed for the headlights.
Normally most Vehicles need it for the turn signals so they don't hyper flash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts