Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Special version for the RWD, gotta add that on.

Rear end is where the action takes place, with the three wet clutches computer controlled. Can't remember for sure who Ford ended up partnering with for that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I can't find specific information on what transmission is in the RS. Ford lists both a B6 as well as an MMT6. The DPS6 is a "Getrag" transmission, so I'd put my money on Getrag for the MMT6 as well since they share a similar internal design. After the day I had, I'm too lazy to do any more research than that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have reason to pull a trans in the next two weeks, I'll take some pictures if anyone is interested. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Why it could be Insanity I guess

Why are you doing this.
I decided to buy a salvage car, I understand all the downside, but when you buy the whole car for less than a new long block, and you want to take it apart and inspect the intake and bores, and put studs in the head and block just because you can, is that a bad thing?

I was told there is a crack in the trans case, I'd imagine the previous owner tried to 'plow in' a big rock while in drift mode, but who knows?

I already feel like a pioneer, I was hoping there were plenty of others that would blaze the trail on the trans. It will be interesting to see if I can buy just the case IF it can't be repaired.

One of the things I'm interested in looking at is the coking at the intake, this car is a 23017 with 29,000 miles. I have yet to research, but if the EcoBoost 2.3 was set up to idle on one injector near the throttle body, could it help to keep this all in check? Of course, that should be another thread, but I mention it because I expect this car to be a bit of a test bed, and who would use a $40K plus car just to experiment with? I guess the answer would be a lot of people, but I'll likely have mine apart as much as together, that's been the story of my Elise.

Here's what Ford calls it: TRANS-AXLE - FORD (G1FZ-7002-A)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After pulling the engine and trans, I found a sticker with a barcode on the assembly, it is G1FR7002RCA. There is also a code on the main case of the transmission = AISi9Cu3<. Looking this up, it gives us the type of alloy they used to make the casting.

I wasn't able to find good pictures of how everything bolts together, but the transfer case and front diff are a bolt on to the transmission, I was happy to see it wasn't some kind of unitized case thing.

I did look at the six-speed used in the ST, I was curious if they might use the same case on the passenger side? I don't think so.

I have the turbo removed, and this gives me a better view, a little more cleaning, and I'll take a series of pictures. There may be pictures out there of how this all bolts up, but I didn't find them.

Sad to say my turbo is broken, and I have only discovered the option of buying a new and complete assembly :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts