Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this has been done before?
Is it possible?
Can I swap a awd system into the focus?
Us it financially worth it

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. Financially worth it? God no. You'd lower the car's value while pouring thousands into it. If you want AWD, sell your car and get what you want.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The RS awd drivetrain isnt purely a mechanical setup so that would likely be an electrical nightmare as well as everything else. A regular 2.0 would likely be a huge dog hauling around all that extra weight plus the added power losses from drivetrain. Like the other poster said...I'd sooner buy a used Subaru Impreza if I wanted AWD that bad. A friend just picked a nice 5 speed one up from original owner for $4500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah how deep are your pockets?
If my pockets where that deep I wouldn't have gotten a fwd and try to make it awd. Just wondering if its something worth investing. I got nothing but time to tinker with this lmaoo

·
Registered
91 Posts
A regular 2.0 would likely be a huge dog hauling around all that extra weight plus the added power losses from drivetrain.
^^This^^
The NA Focus isn't very powerful begin with. Even with upgrades and a good tune, it's not really fast by any measure. Just more..."peppy". Even if you managed the AWD conversion, bogging the engine down with extra weight and parasitic drivetrain loss would probably kill any real-world driveability or fun.

Go find a Subaru Brat or something similar on CL for $1k or so and tinker with that. It'll be time/money better spent.

Reactions: CanadianFocused

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Man, you seem to be bound to make that as hard and expensively wasteful as you possibly can.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is a rwd swap a better option?
LOL now THAT, I think would be fun to see and drive. A mid-engine rear drive focus.:cool:
I say go for it. Pull the back seats, cut the floor out, drop the engine and drivetrain in the rear, move gas tank under the hood, job done. Let us know how it goes!(y)

·
Registered
343 Posts
So not realistic.

But, not gonna lie. I always thought it would be a hell of a cool project to attempt to swap the escape stuff under mk1 focus. Just be the one to do it. Clearly not to be a RS, just to have an awd gen 1 focus

1 - 13 of 13 Posts