Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shudders really bad moving from a dead stop and after shifting into 2nd. Seems to be even worse after coming to a stop after moving at highway speeds. A couple times were so rough it seemed like it was going to stall.

Anyone else having issues like this on a 2016? I have read there were problems on some of the earlier years but haven't found anything on a 16. Plan on taking it to the dealer but just wanted a little insight before that.

FYI its got 38k miles

thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Less common but not unheard of on a 2016. Get it checked out at a dealer, you are still well within your powertrain warranty so you should be covered. There is no major difference between all model year MK3 Foci in the Transmission or control system aside from revised clutch parts and new programming as they come out so it would follow that there will still be some issues to be ironed out.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Shudders really bad moving from a dead stop and after shifting into 2nd. Seems to be even worse after coming to a stop after moving at highway speeds. A couple times were so rough it seemed like it was going to stall.

Anyone else having issues like this on a 2016? I have read there were problems on some of the earlier years but haven't found anything on a 16. Plan on taking it to the dealer but just wanted a little insight before that.

FYI its got 38k miles

thanks
Most likely an early build 2016MY. It's under warranty go have them replace it. Clutch pack was improved in late November/early December 2015. Very few later build 2016's or 2017's with issues compared to previous versions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone ever thought about changing the transmission to a Mazda 3 automatic? I wonder if it could be hooked up and work with the Ford electronics? I don't feel like they are that much different from each other. I wonder how big of a project this would be?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Has anyone ever thought about changing the transmission to a Mazda 3 automatic? I wonder if it could be hooked up and work with the Ford electronics? I don't feel like they are that much different from each other. I wonder how big of a project this would be?
You would need a programming and engineering degree most likely. The electronics may not be different to the naked eye but the programming is probably light years different. The Mazda computer that could handle running the transmission has no idea how to run the Duratech Ford motor, and the Ford computer has no idea how to run the Mazda Transmission. Heck we don't even know if the respective computers speak the same language! Not to mention neither computer has the nessiccary inputs and outputs to run the purposed engine/trans combo. The Most cost effective solution would be to swap over the entire drivetrain and wiring harness from a Mazda but then the resulting car wouldn't be a Focus, would it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The reason I thought this was due to having a Mazda 6 and it being mostly Ford under the hood. I also had a ZX2 and it was identical to a Mazda 323

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ford and Mazda had close relationship for many years but not anymore.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have 2016 Ford focus S. It had the same problem. Took it to the the dealership and they fixed it. Had 15,000 when I took it in. Now it has 20,750. So far so good. You're not alone with this issue. There are some 2017's with this issue as well

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The reason I thought this was due to having a Mazda 6 and it being mostly Ford under the hood. I also had a ZX2 and it was identical to a Mazda 323
Ford and Mazda divorced after the '13 MY... Mazda even took design and production all the way back to Japan, otherwise you're right, they were very closely tied previously...

For the rest of you: I've been away for a while and I might try for an ST still but are '17 and '18 DCT quite a bit better? I'll probably go with Tom's tune, I like the DCT when it's working right, snapping off shifts, and don't mind the "driving it like a stick" at low speeds...

·
Registered
10 Posts

FYI its got 38k miles

thanks
2016. 40k miles.

"Shudders really bad moving from a dead stop" - YES
"Seems to be even worse after coming to a stop after moving at highway speeds." - YES

Do you hear any grinding on yours?

·
Registered
422 Posts

FYI its got 38k miles

thanks
2016. 40k miles.

"Shudders really bad moving from a dead stop" - YES
"Seems to be even worse after coming to a stop after moving at highway speeds." - YES

Do you hear any grinding on yours?
I'm starting to hear grinding noises in my car. It doesn't shudder though. So I'm not sure if it's the transmission or something else.

As stated before, it was fixed at 15,000. Before it would make grinding noises and shudder. It stopped after it was"fixed"

·
Registered
422 Posts
As stated before, it was fixed at 15,000. Before it would make grinding noises and shudder. It stopped after it was"fixed"
I see you're in Cypress. Which dealer did you go to? Ford Glendale is charging me $560 just to diagnose it. Galpin is $185.
How many miles do you have on the car? Also what year is your car?

I went to where I bought it at. It's a little bit far at Puente Hills Ford in the City of Industry

·
Registered
422 Posts
How many miles do you have on the car? Also what year is your car?

I went to where I bought it at. It's a little bit far at Puente Hills Ford in the City of Industry
Bought it pre-owned. 40k miles. 2016. Did they charge you a diagnostic fee?
You should have warranty. I think you have up to 60,000 mile warranty. Mine was free of charge because it's still under warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts