Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm curious to know if this has happened to any mk3.5 Focus owner. Twice now within the last week, my Focus ST has decided to open the hatch on its own, without me doing anything while driving. First first time it occurred was just after I had exited the freeway, and an alert popped up on the message center, notifying me that the hatch was ajar. The second time happened earlier today when I was doing some canyon driving with a few friends. Both times now I have pulled over, corrected the problem and had no further issues driving.

I know there is a recall out for the 2012-2015 Focus regarding side door latches, and I'm obviously going to take it in for warranty service ASAP, however with my Focus being a 2016 it should not be affected by the recall. Mine is a kind of early build (Dec. 2015), but I wonder if left over parts might have been used.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Hi all, I'm curious to know if this has happened to any mk3.5 Focus owner. Twice now within the last week, my Focus ST has decided to open the hatch on its own, without me doing anything while driving. First first time it occurred was just after I had exited the freeway, and an alert popped up on the message center, notifying me that the hatch was ajar. The second time happened earlier today when I was doing some canyon driving with a few friends. Both times now I have pulled over, corrected the problem and had no further issues driving.

I know there is a recall out for the 2012-2015 Focus regarding side door latches, and I'm obviously going to take it in for warranty service ASAP, however with my Focus being a 2016 it should not be affected by the recall. Mine is a kind of early build (Dec. 2015), but I wonder if left over parts might have been used.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Possible you kept the transponder in your pockets and hit the hatch release ?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Still shouldn't open. Don't know if this applies but I have a sedan and the trunk will not open if I hit the button on the dash or on the key fob no matter what until I put the car in park.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Still shouldn't open. Don't know if this applies but I have a sedan and the trunk will not open if I hit the button on the dash or on the key fob no matter what until I put the car in park.

Sent from my 2PS64 using FF Mobile
Ditto: The trunk in my 2011 or hatch on 2014 would'nt open at all if in gear and moving. Even if I hit the hatch/trunk release.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I could point to this as a possible issue, but in both instances the key fob was not in my pocket. My apologies for not being able to reply back yesterday, but it happened once again today while driving (coincidently on the same road as the first time). I've already got a service appt. with my dealer. I just hope it doesn't happen while I'm on the freeway!

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Why would it be so awful if it happened on the freeway?

You'd get an annoying light on the dash to ignore for a few minutes until you can pull over, and even then that is defeatable by the OK button on the wheel IIRC.

Why are people so scared that their metal cage has a vulnerability in its armor? It's not like because the hatch pops, the warning light comes on then wheels will fall off and put you into a wall, flipping the car over and demolishing itself and killing all passengers.

It's a latch. It popped for some reason, could be as simple as the mechanism being misaligned. Yes, by all means get it looked at and fixed.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I can't look at mine at the moment, but if there are bump stops it could be as simple as they're out just a little too far not allowing the hatch to fully latch.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
^^^ Prob. most likely cause, and first thing to check.
I checked this morning once I thought of it and there are no round adjustable bump stops. Whether or not there is some other adjustment that can be made to the positioning I'm not sure. My thinking now is it's either the latch or an electrical issue somewhere.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I checked this morning once I thought of it and there are no round adjustable bump stops. Whether or not there is some other adjustment that can be made to the positioning
On my SE Hatch, you can pop off the plastic escutcheon (cover) shown. There is a Torx screw behind it. Loosen the screw and move the bump stop one notch at a time until you get proper alignment. Repeat on the opposite side until you fine tune the alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking For a Cause

2015 Focus SE rear hatch is randomly opening while the car is running and in gear. Nothing on the remote or dash is being touched. It does it with both keys. The hatch closes securely and does not have excess play, but seems like an actuator or something may be acting up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Useless Answer

Slo86GT Why would it be so awful if it happened on the freeway?

You'd get an annoying light on the dash to ignore for a few minutes until you can pull over, and even then that is defeatable by the OK button on the wheel IIRC.

Why are people so scared that their metal cage has a vulnerability in its armor? It's not like because the hatch pops, the warning light comes on then wheels will fall off and put you into a wall, flipping the car over and demolishing itself and killing all passengers.

It's a latch. It popped for some reason, could be as simple as the mechanism being misaligned. Yes, by all means get it looked at and fixed.

This is about an absolutely useless answer. People are coming here trying to find solutions, not some holier than thou attitude. Clearly we/they understand the need to have it looked at/fixed or they wouldn't be here to start with.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Slo86GT said:
Why would it be so awful if it happened on the freeway?

This is about an absolutely useless answer. People are coming here trying to find solutions, not some holier than thou attitude. Clearly we/they understand the need to have it looked at/fixed or they wouldn't be here to start with.
If you are concerned, yes go get it looked at and fixed. If you read this far, you know you can check the bump stops. If it is not that and your hatch is properly closed, then give Ford a call.

There was also a recall related to the hatch but it only pertains to actually pressing the button on the dash:
https://www.cars.com/research/ford-focus/recalls/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts