Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to swap the stock steering wheel from my 2016 SE with a steering wheel from the ST, or RS? Are they compatible? I know the heated function will not work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Is it possible to swap the stock steering wheel from my 2016 SE with a steering wheel from the ST, or RS? Are they compatible? I know the heated function will not work.

Thanks!
I know the swap works on the 12-14 SE/ST so I would suspect it works. What are you trying to gain by swapping?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got my car and I am not a fan of the stock/plastic wheel. I would much prefer a leather wrapped wheel. I would be happy with the leather wheel from the Titanium, but the look of the wheel from the RS/ST appeals to me.

The steering wheel covers from Redline goods look nice, but still appear to be quite a bit of work to install correctly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would just see what comes up on eBay. I got a leather wheel for my '12 for $75 on the forum and it's such a big improvement over the plastic one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
The answer is yes. It went on pretty painlessly, and the difference is quite noticeable. I'm really happy with it, and definitely worth $165.00
I'm gonna be honest man I was kind of talking shot in my head earlier this week about you wanting to do this but I guess I'm a hypocrite bc I also now want to do this. Good idea, it looks nice!

At least a 50 HP gain hahaha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahah. 50hp and more women than I know what to do with.

It does feel a little weird having the RS logo in my SE, but having the leather wheel..... worth it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
All Mark 3 Focus steering wheels will swap to any other Mark 3 Focus and same for the Mark 3.5 steering wheels.

I just swapped my 2014 SE plastic wheel for that from a Titanium. I ended up damaging the clockspring and steering wheel sensor in the process but managed to replace them at a reasonable price. Only thing is make sure you don't rotate the clockspring (thing with two prongs) when you take it off and make sure the arrows line up.

I wanted to experiment with putting a MK 3.5 steering wheel in my MK 3 but I couldn't find one without the airbag deployed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would love to add a 2015+ heated steering wheel to my 2012. Anyone know if it can be done and still be able to have the heated steering wheel work?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I rented a Challenger with all the bells and whistles on vacation a few weeks ago, and I can honestly say, the leather wrapped wheel makes a huge difference. It feels so much nicer in the hands and makes the car feel like a higher class. Would totally be worth spending the money.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow, I love that RS wheel. I'm still learning about all the ST/RS trims... looks like the RS came out in 2015-current?

Just love the flat bottom look.

I also wonder if that would be able to swap into the '12 and the buttons be able to function properly.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wow, I love that RS wheel. I'm still learning about all the ST/RS trims... looks like the RS came out in 2015-current?

Just love the flat bottom look.

I also wonder if that would be able to swap into the '12 and the buttons be able to function properly.
ST after 2015 also has a flat bottom look.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess you need to be careful and unplug the battery before doing a steering wheel swap? Would you have a trouble with the airbag module otherwise (light say on)?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You should always disconnect the battery for almost anything. Most shops that is the 1st they do when working on the car. I have had seen Ford do it to my car for a oil change. Better to be safer then sorry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should always disconnect the battery for almost anything. Most shops that is the 1st they do when working on the car. I have had seen Ford do it to my car for a oil change. Better to be safer then sorry.
That's right! Can effectively be dangerous but can create coding you don't want to deal with (need to go to the dealer for airbags I think).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts