Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok, so did some more research and figured out that the CAI from MST also comes with a CNCed MAFH, which is 3" and comes with everything I need, I have the K&N Typhoon atm, but it didn't come with a MAFH, it uses the stock OEM 1 from Ford, which isn't made for filters that use clamps.... >.>. An now that I think about it I kind of wished I didn't get the K&N, sure there nice, but there spendy for what you get o_O.

Mostly what I want from this is the MAFH, filter and inlet hose, still debating on getting the RS air box or just keep the K&N setup, as the MAFH from MST will actually bolt right up to the K&N lol.

So the 3.25"/83mm MAFH from MRP is unlikely to be in my new CAI setup as you can't bolt it up to anything without fabricating something to do that lol.

Also Jburks, I can get everything for the throttle body at sunrise, with free shipping, so I will be getting that shortly, if not this week, early next month, along with the MST CAI. [:D] Funny thing about this new setup with MST and the new throttle body....it'll cost about the same if not less then what I paid for the K&N [ohcrap]. lol

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Is the piping 3" as well or 2.5" if 3" you will need a tune to adjust, even the 3" MAF may need one too.

Wow, it's really unfortunate that Tasca jacked the price of the throttle bodies up so much, they used to be like $23! lmao

·
Registered
617 Posts
Is the piping 3" as well or 2.5" if 3" you will need a tune to adjust, even the 3" MAF may need one too.

Wow, it's really unfortunate that Tasca jacked the price of the throttle bodies up so much, they used to be like $23! lmao
They prolly have algorithms that monitor buying trends and adjust prices accordingly. [idea][drummer]

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)

Everything should be 3" ID until the MST TB end of the inlet tube, regardless however I will have a tune in place before any of the new parts are put in place.

I wont know for certain what the inlet hose IDs are till Red Devil Customs e-mails me back with that info lol. Wished they'd post that info on there site though [scratch].

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
They prolly have algorithms that monitor buying trends and adjust prices accordingly. [idea][drummer]
Well, I knew when the word spread and the demand for it spiked so would the price, just didn't figure it would almost triple

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Has anyone looked into the 170 thermostats ? [scratch]
There are 180deg thermostats that work well, need tuning to take advantage of though

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
For the engine to stay efficient it needs to be in the 185-195 range , 170 would be to cool

Tom
Good to know! I'll just stick with the 180 then, will probably be one of the last lil changes I make to the engine it's self.

There are 180deg thermostats that work well, need tuning to take advantage of though
Yup! found a few I'm bookmarking for later reference [:D]

So to sum it up so far with all my research etc etc.

*In order I plan in purchasing etc.

~I've got my new intake setup pretty much sorted out with the MST setup and new throttle body, gasket and bolts as well as the inlet, also from MST.

~New laptop *Yup I don't have 1 atm [ohcrap] lol* not getting a super cheapo from walmart, so I decided to get a Acer Predator, something I can also use when I travel, play some games on, do photo's and video etc.

~Toms Tune, along with the SCT X4 Tuner, hard to pass up on lifetime updates and have heard nothing but good things so that's a major plus to me [thumb].

~Have also decided to go with the OBX header and FSWerks 2.5" stealth exhaust, on the header, if its not coated in ceramic I'll go down and have that done, shouldn't be too bad to have that done.

Am also changing out the suspension, rims, tires, brakes, hood and spoiler.

But I think I may put all that into a different thread just to keep this one engine performance based and the new thread more around the suspension etc.

Also, forgot to mention, but I won't be getting any of this till probably after June~July [ohcrap] lol. Working atm to build up a new mountain bike from the frame up, got half of it done atm, just waiting on the custom rims and front fork to get in and the drivechain etc lol. Bike might be featured in a magazine, so its taking most of my time atm [xx(]. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Definitely following this thread as a throttle body and header are what I'm planning for the summer! I checked on tascas and me being from Canada would cost me 93$ with everything but I will call my dealer and see what they can do! Would anyone have the part # for the 180 thermostat by any chance?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Small update, I did some more research on headers and decided not to go with the OBX header, mostly because they don't come with a catalytic converter, and modding 1 to fit one is a pain in the arse, for me anyway lolz.

So I decided to have a custom 2.5" header + a cat fabricated by Fuse Fabrications.

An idea of what my header will look like, quality wise *but for a Fucus [:D]* and there will be a cat attached too, thinking about making it a 2 piece that way its easier to install.

They do some Awesome work, which does come at a price, but I think with how Ford is abandoning nearly all car sales in the US with in the next few years or less, I think the investment is worth it.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Small update, I did some more research on headers and decided not to go with the OBX header, mostly because they don't come with a catalytic converter, and modding 1 to fit one is a pain in the arse, for me anyway lolz.

So I decided to have a custom 2.5" header + a cat fabricated by Fuse Fabrications.

An idea of what my header will look like, quality wise *but for a Fucus [:D]* and there will be a cat attached too, thinking about making it a 2 piece that way its easier to install.

They do some Awesome work, which does come at a price, but I think with how Ford is abandoning nearly all car sales in the US with in the next few years or less, I think the investment is worth it.
Yikes, that will cost a ton for a decent but rather modest gain... if you do get one, try and model it after the MK2 fs werks race header, which I have on my Mk3 and it seems to make more torque compared to others (167ft lbs so far). MST hose wont fit over the larger throttle body, donèt waste your money on it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Buy the obx , buy a universal CAT , have a local muffler shop weld it in once you install the header , MUCH less money

Tom
I'll keep that in mind, I'll look around with different shops and get a quote on what it would cost to take the OBX+Cat and make a 2 piece header with it, for easier installation etc. I think I briefly looked up a universal cat from magnaflow awhile back, just can remember the cost [scratch] lol.

I know the OBX header is roughly $400+ atm, least on amazon [:0].

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll keep that in mind, I'll look around with different shops and get a quote on what it would cost to take the OBX+Cat and make a 2 piece header with it, for easier installation etc. I think I briefly looked up a universal cat from magnaflow awhile back, just can remember the cost [scratch] lol.

if youre interested, im in your area and have decent welding skills. if you buy header and cat, and bring it to me ill do it for free in the name of gaining experience for mine as i wanna do something similar. i have done some welding work for Armadillo Mining on some gold dredges in Grants Pass. And for my baja bug i just sold sadly. PM me if you interested[cheers]

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

You don't want a two-piece header trust me..it's a pain in the ass to install due to locations of mid-nuts and bolts, plus they tend to loosen up frequently without motor mounts (double nutting helps prevent this)..once the OEM manicat is out (which is difficult), a header is very easy to get in a and out

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Buy the obx , buy a universal CAT , have a local muffler shop weld it in once you install the header , MUCH less money

Tom
Was looking into a custom header + cat from a local shop and this is one of the messages I got in an email not long ago, any thoughts on this ?

*Converters aren't universal anymore. The inside material is different for different cars, fuels and states. Plus we would be moving it further from the engine and repositioning the o2 sensors. They are timed in the ecu. Like I said it might work. But not likely. Plus, the cost is high to make a custom header. Many hours. Plus, it will kill engine torque at lower rpms were you drive your car 95% of the time. Larger exhaust should be combined with matching cams and programming.*

I asked in a previous email about a custom 2.5" header + a universal cat.

if youre interested, im in your area and have decent welding skills. if you buy header and cat, and bring it to me ill do it for free in the name of gaining experience for mine as i wanna do something similar. i have done some welding work for Armadillo Mining on some gold dredges in Grants Pass. And for my baja bug i just sold sadly. PM me if you interested[cheers]
I'll keep this in mind once I actually have the parts for the build, atm I am how ever upgrading my suspension + wheels/tires 1st, then moving to other parts.

You don't want a two-piece header trust me..it's a pain in the ass to install due to locations of mid-nuts and bolts, plus they tend to loosen up frequently without motor mounts (double nutting helps prevent this)..once the OEM manicat is out (which is difficult), a header is very easy to get in a and out
I was wondering about that as well, so with that said, I guess I wont make it a 2 piece [:D]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorileus86; I'll keep this in mind once I actually have the parts for the build said:
Go to cnc tires off of the 62. hes a buddy of mine and has a great selection of wheels and tires at a low price. just got foci wheels and hankooks to wrap them in for a grand. plus hes local and just a nice guy. cost me less to do tires there than at discount tire or les schwab.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts