Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Lots of happy people with the sound from the stealth. I eventually want to go with it.

Most prefer a header that has a 2.5 collector which is what obx is. I currently have a super cheap header that is 2.25 bit that's just because it was $130 bucks vs 350
Yah, I'm looking more into the FSWerks exhaust, sounds pretty good too [:D], still looking around for headers though, but there aren't too many options [scratch]

The intake manifold flows incredible and trying to use aftermarket intake manifolds showed a 20hp loss, the head also flows great...aftermarket intake makes a nice difference depending on how you drive...intake, header, exhaust and custom tune remove most of the obvious bottlenecks...instead of a aftermarket intake, getting the RS intake box system is very affordable and better then stock option
If I wanted to go extreme, what would you think of a carbon manifold copy of the original *lol* I know carbons good for keeping heat out, and I have seen intakes made with carbon, but never seen the manifold made with carbon. [idea]

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Yeah, wasn't suggesting going to a new intake manifold. I remember being excited about the ttr till they got us some real numbers.
Well I still have my TTR manifold because they would only give me 50% back and I'd have to pay return shipping from Canada so I would have maybe a 100 bucks if that...but I have some buddies in racing and performance and they said the design of it would be really good under boost, thats what it's designed for, under vacuum from a NA engine it falls on it's face...so if I ever go FI, I might just swap out the stock one after getting dynoed and see if performs worse or the same, or better..I don't buy the argument if it has a 20hp loss on NA engine, it will also on a FI one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I would be interested to see if it performs well with Tom's turbo set up. You're already a step ahead of us if you wanna be a test dummy

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
To the OP, i'd definitely get a tune if you plan on doing exhaust mods like a cat back and header. Rear motor mount is a great upgrade too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
To the OP, i'd definitely get a tune if you plan on doing exhaust mods like a cat back and header. Rear motor mount is a great upgrade too.
Yup, that's the idea, even it I get other parts I wont put them on till I get a tune in place 1st, don't need to run rich etc lolz [:D], I do plan on tweaking my intake a bit though, but I think I'll hold off on that till I get the new throttle body.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^ running lean is more likely the problem, from factory this engine runs on lean side as it's very efficient and tuned for fuel economy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
^^^ running lean is more likely the problem, from factory this engine runs on lean side as it's very efficient and tuned for fuel economy
Would that explain the chugging/stuttering I get at random ? I don't get that almost at all running premium through it now though :O lolz. I also had the TCM checked/reset at about 7-8k miles and then drove it like I usually would, which also helped, as these cars seem to adapt somewhat to how you drive after 1500ish miles lolz. [:D]
With all that said I could probably tweak the intake/throttle body and not worry for a lil bit about the tune I'd assume as well ? As I have another project that's taking some $$ to get done lolz [xx(]

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^is the stuttering transmission related? Shouldnt get that otherwise...although car does run smoother on 89 or 91 compared to 87

·
FF Affiliate
30,382 Posts
Would that explain the chugging/stuttering I get at random ? I don't get that almost at all running premium through it now though :O lolz. I also had the TCM checked/reset at about 7-8k miles and then drove it like I usually would, which also helped, as these cars seem to adapt somewhat to how you drive after 1500ish miles lolz. [:D]
With all that said I could probably tweak the intake/throttle body and not worry for a lil bit about the tune I'd assume as well ? As I have another project that's taking some $$ to get done lolz [xx(]
Tune should be your first mod , its by far the best bang for the buck and with Custom Tuning from me you get free NA Tune updates as you add more mods , I can also deal with that shudder you have

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Anyone have a link to the 63mm mustang ecoboost throttle body ? Making a list of parts to get and having everything in 1 place helps alot lol. [:D]

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Anyone have a link to the 63mm mustang ecoboost throttle body ? Making a list of parts to get and having everything in 1 place helps alot lol. [:D]
The Rebel Devil Customs install and review of the larger 63 MM Mustang Ecoboost Throttle body getting installed on an NA Focus

Parts Required:
Ford Throttle Body Part # GB8Z*9E926*A
Ford Throttle Body Gasket Part #9L8Z*9E936*A
Ford TB Mounting Bolts 4 each Part #W716585*S437
1- Larger Clamp for TB side ~ 2.75" (we used one from an ST boot)

Tools needed
7mm Nut driver
8mm Nut Driver
Flat tip Screwdriver
1/4 Drive Rachet, short extension and 8mm Socket
Small Pick tool to remove the gasket.

Having followed the ST side of things for a few years, there was some talk of a direct fit larger TB for the ST. Supposedly a 63mm, so I spoke to a source and he verified the fitment and install of the TB on a few ST's. He said it was a plug n play part and it didn't yield much gains in HP or TQ, but had a definite increase in throttle response. So I figured it was worth a shot to try it on an NA, since being around them, I already knew the NA and ST shared the same TB.

I order the TB from Ford and picked it up yesterday. Today I got to go through with testing, I did some measuring for OD of the inlet for a manufacturer to make a direct fit boot/snorkel for this upgrade, then proceeded with the install.

1. Once ya got the hood open, remove the connectors and hoses from the air box and inlet tube, then remove the box and tube.
2. Disconnect the TB plug and proceed to remove the 8mm bolts, then use the pick remove and discard the rubber O-ring gasket.
3. Wipe down the intake and install the new Gasket.
4. install the new TB with the black cover facing the front of the car, re-route the connector along the top and plug into TB.
5. Since we had no choice but to reuse the original inlet boot, use some oil on the inside and slowly start to install, you may need a screwdriver to coerce it on.
6. Then reinstall the air box, and reconnect everything as it was removed.

Upon initial startup, fire over just fine, had one initial rev hang (probably to sync the new TB in) then was fine. Revved it a few time, and seemed to work great. Now was time for the road test. There definitely felt like it had increased the throttle response on the pavement, but once we hit the gravel, it broke loose a lot quicker. Whether there are an HP gains, that's still to be determined, $85 for 3 pulls to test a part that costs less didn't seem logical. Our test vehicle only has an OE ST catback and drop-in Green Filter.. But from my point of view, its definitely good bang for the buck, and think it will be a nice addition to work with coming NA upgrades

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Thanks FFhb13! That'll help ALOT lol, I found a site that has a TB kit for like $107, but there shipping/tracking takes forever from what I read on there reviews [xx(], So I think I'll stay away from there [:D]

Also, not sure if I mentioned this but I do have a K&N intake setup atm, I have a feeling I'll want to change the main down pipe that the MAFH hooks up to, to something a bit wider, I think its like 70mm ID atm.....wait nvm [ohcrap] lol just remembered the TBs a 63mm so I should be good haha, how ever my new MAFH I'm getting to replace my stock unit is like 3.25" OD [idea], is that going to adversely effect the TB in anyway ? I wouldn't think it should.

Current Intake setup ~

New MAFH ~ https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-25-OD-Slot-Style-MAF-Mass-Air-Flow-Housing-Air-Straightener-for-Ford-GMC-Chevy-/263279343815

·
Registered
133 Posts
You would need to tune if you're going to change the diameter of the maf housing tube. I had the kn with the 63mm tb and just kept the stock maf housing.

Also, if you go to tasca's website, they have the tb for around 60 bucks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You would need to tune if you're going to change the diameter of the maf housing tube. I had the kn with the 63mm tb and just kept the stock maf housing.

Yup, that's where I am getting all the parts for the TB etc atm, easiest place to find the parts I need so far and the prices are Really hard to beat.

Yes 100% , If you change the MAF size you must do a Tune

Tom
Yup that's the idea, I wont be installing any of the new parts till I am ready to get the tune, so no worries there [:D]

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

Shop around various online parts places...the price may have gone up from Tasca due to sudden high demand but last spring the TB was only about 23 bucks, the bolts and gaskets a buck each

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Shop around various online parts places...the price may have gone up from Tasca due to sudden high demand but last spring the TB was only about 23 bucks, the bolts and gaskets a buck each
The TB at Tasca is like $57 atm so with the TB, Gasket and bolts + shipping its like $80 total. Will look around a bit to see if I can get the TB lower lolz.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So, looked around a bit more, and it seems that Tasca is, atm the lowest price for the TB + parts etc, so I'll just get it from there here shortly.

For the intake inlet hose I'm going with one from MST

I am also looking into an RS Air Box, or the MST Air Box. Ganna look into them both a bit more. Also am thinking of a new filter, will need one regardless with the new OD on the MAFH which is 3.25" or 83mm.

Once I get the custom intake all pieced together I'll be getting a custom tune from Tom, along with the SCT X4 flasher etc.

Now after that I want to change the header and exhaust, atm I think I'm pretty set on the FSWerks stealth exhaust, but I am not sure on a header really atm, I know both FSWerks and OBX put out a 2.5" header, but are there any other options ?

Will also be putting a 180 thermostat in as well [:D]

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
So, looked around a bit more, and it seems that Tasca is, atm the lowest price for the TB + parts etc, so I'll just get it from there here shortly.

For the intake inlet hose I'm going with one from MST

I am also looking into an RS Air Box, or the MST Air Box. Ganna look into them both a bit more. Also am thinking of a new filter, will need one regardless with the new OD on the MAFH which is 3.25" or 83mm.

Once I get the custom intake all pieced together I'll be getting a custom tune from Tom, along with the SCT X4 flasher etc.

Now after that I want to change the header and exhaust, atm I think I'm pretty set on the FSWerks stealth exhaust, but I am not sure on a header really atm, I know both FSWerks and OBX put out a 2.5" header, but are there any other options ?

Will also be putting a 180 thermostat in as well [:D]
I remember Tasca charging an arm and a leg for shipping though. checkout sunrise ford parts.

https://www.sunrisefordparts.com/

i had better luck with them with shipping costs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I remember Tasca charging an arm and a leg for shipping though. checkout sunrise ford parts.

https://www.sunrisefordparts.com/

i had better luck with them with shipping costs.
Sweet! free shipping [:D] didn't find these guys looking around, when I get home from work I'll look for the rest of the TB parts I'll need there too, *bolts, gasket*. Thanks for the link lol.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts