Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Focus SE Hatchback, I currently have a K&N intake and plan on getting an exhaust kit from Magnaflow.

I'm fairly new to modifying cars etc but willing to learn, hence why I am here lol [:D].

What I plan to gain is better throttle response, HP and TQ. Also when or should I get a tune done when modifying the engine etc ? I know eventually I'll need one if I take the modding far enough lol.

Later I also plan to do exterior mods, like new springs, sway bars, and rims/tires. Along with a new hood, spoiler and trunk lid, and window tinting.

Any idea's/opinions are appreciated, along with links etc to parts you might think I may benefit from.

Thanks! [headbang]

My car for reference how ever much that will do [wrenchin]lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Next mod should be a rear motor mount (fswerks insert if you'd like a similar to stock feel, Cobb if you'd like to feel the engine a bit more).

Then you should go with Tom's tune.. he does lifetime naturally aspirated tune revisions with added bolt-ons. This will definitely help with a little added hp/tq while you're sitting with that intake and will also greatly improve other mods you plan on doing.

For throttle response, the 63mm mustang ecoboost throttle body will help a lot. Tune isn't unnecessarily necessary for this because its plug and play, but a tune will definitely make sure everything works as smoothly as possible.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
It all costs a lot of money, appearance and performance...I prefer performance, snorkel delete is free mod, an Intake, header, 2.5" free flow exhaust and custom tune will add about 35 to 45whp and cost about $2000 or less if you buy some items used...rear motor mount of course, 63mm TB is good and fairly cheap, about $50us for the TB, bolts and gasket.. needs some tuning to fully utilise... handling wise, a must-have is a larger rear sway bar, I have a steeda, only cost $150 shipped on sale...made a big difference in turns and roundabouts, car stays much more stable..without it, on some sharp turns I could only take them at about 80kph, after the steeda I could do 120+ and still felt safe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You shouldn't need the rmm like suggested above because the 15 and up have the better motor mount already. When you installed you have now opened yourself up for heat soak. I had the kn and it was great when engine was cool but my iat would go up about 20 degrees after driving. But since you already have it, I suggest insulating it as best you can.
Definitely get a tune. I suggest the an exhaust that is 2.5 diameter, I think the magnaflow is 2.25.
Another real good mod is a header to go with your catback. Make sure you get a tune first tho or else you will run lean which is bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next mod should be a rear motor mount (fswerks insert if you'd like a similar to stock feel, Cobb if you'd like to feel the engine a bit more).

Then you should go with Tom's tune.. he does lifetime naturally aspirated tune revisions with added bolt-ons. This will definitely help with a little added hp/tq while you're sitting with that intake and will also greatly improve other mods you plan on doing.

For throttle response, the 63mm mustang ecoboost throttle body will help a lot. Tune isn't unnecessarily necessary for this because its plug and play, but a tune will definitely make sure everything works as smoothly as possible.

Sent from my SM-G892A using FF Mobile
I'll look into the new TB and tune from Tom. Thanks

It all costs a lot of money, appearance and performance...I prefer performance, snorkel delete is free mod, an Intake, header, 2.5" free flow exhaust and custom tune will add about 35 to 45whp and cost about $2000 or less if you buy some items used...rear motor mount of course, 63mm TB is good and fairly cheap, about $50us for the TB, bolts and gasket.. needs some tuning to fully utilise... handling wise, a must-have is a larger rear sway bar, I have a steeda, only cost $150 shipped on sale...made a big difference in turns and roundabouts, car stays much more stable..without it, on some sharp turns I could only take them at about 80kph, after the steeda I could do 120+ and still felt safe.
Thanks for the info, looking into everything and looking around the forums for more info etc. [:D]

At the moment I am mostly doing my research on parts etc, as this is going to be a long project as I am doing both performance and appearance mods and I have another project currently in the works lol. [:)]

The more I know the better lol.

You shouldn't need the rmm like suggested above because the 15 and up have the better motor mount already. When you installed you have now opened yourself up for heat soak. I had the kn and it was great when engine was cool but my iat would go up about 20 degrees after driving. But since you already have it, I suggest insulating it as best you can.
Definitely get a tune. I suggest the an exhaust that is 2.5 diameter, I think the magnaflow is 2.25.
Another real good mod is a header to go with your catback. Make sure you get a tune first tho or else you will run lean which is bad.
Ya, I'll be sure to look into a tune, I'm assuming I'll want to do that before I mod much else if anything ? I'm also already looking into modifying the intake just for that reason with the temp increases etc, am also replacing the stock MAFH with a MRP MAFH, and a larger filter.

An yes I do believe the Magnaflow is a 2.25", which 2.5" kits do you know of that actually fit my make/year ? I'll look around myself in the mean time, thanks [:D].

·
FF Affiliate
30,660 Posts
Hands down do the Tune , enjoy what it adds stock and with tuning from me you get free unlimited NA tune updates as you add more NA mods and get new tunes to enjoy each mod

Me , I feel 2.5 Exh or bigger 3 inch

Tom

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also the 180° thermostat is an overlooked mod that's really cheap and takes 10 minutes to install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hands down do the Tune , enjoy what it adds stock and with tuning from me you get free unlimited NA tune updates as you add more NA mods and get new tunes to enjoy each mod

Me , I feel 2.5 Exh or bigger 3 inch

Tom
Looking into a 2.5" exhaust, and possibly a header, just don't know of any headers that would actually work at the moment. Am also thinking of doing a ceramic coating on the header when I get it if it doesn't already have it, or a wrap on the headers, similar to what I did to my father's scout bobber lol.

Also the 180° thermostat is an overlooked mod that's really cheap and takes 10 minutes to install.

I've heard about this lil mod just have no idea what it actually does lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
180° thermostat drops engine temps approximately 20 degrees and drops intake temps. Lower intake and engine temps equals better performance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
180° thermostat drops engine temps approximately 20 degrees and drops intake temps. Lower intake and engine temps equals better performance.

lol ok that makes sense [:)] lol can't even eat dinner before you guys post [:D]

·
Registered
120 Posts
lol ok that makes sense [:)] lol can't even eat dinner before you guys post [:D]
Haha have fun with your upcoming mods! I have full bolt-ons, have Tom's tune and have recently added coilovers. Let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy your dinner

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just looked up that snorkel delete, found a video showing how simple that mod is, damn simple lol. Not sure the intention is other then maybe better airflow to the engine ?

Also looked up that 180* thermastat, just not sure which 1 to get when I want to lol. Lower temps is always a good thing [:D].

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
10 minute install is pretty doubtful unless you are a mechanic..its very difficult without removing intake manifold as the lower bolt ishard to get to..if you do it without removing definitly need swivels and extenstions, 180 is a good mod too

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
10 minute install is pretty doubtful unless you are a mechanic..its very difficult without removing intake manifold as the lower bolt ishard to get to..if you do it without removing definitly need swivels and extenstions, 180 is a good mod too
I actually was a mechanic for about 3 years. Didn't take my intake manifold off or use swivels. Did end up taking the passenger headlight out which gave me easier access to that lower bolt. Just make sure to cover the alternator before you let the thermostat leak coolant. Will also need about a gallon or two (if I'm remembering correctly) of coolant to refill the amount that comes out after install.

Reactions: FFhb13

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd suggest the fswerks stealth exhaust. That's 2.5". As for header, if go with either the obx from eBay, around 350, or I believe you can modify one of the older engine headers but it can clang around a bit.
I do not believe there is any need to increase the filter size since I believe our filter size should be good up to 350 hp (I read that somewhere but not sure the validity)
Our engines breath pretty well, I believe the true bottleneck is deeper in the engine past the throttle body.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the part for the thermostat it's off a Mazda 3, but for same duratec engine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FI72E8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! That helps a lot to have links to parts that work [:)]

I found these last night while I was searching about lol, are they compatible ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mof-rt1193/overview/year/2016/make/ford/model/focus
This is a 190*, I'm going to assume that, that's the temp that they open up at ? So with that assumption the 180 regardless would be the better pick, [:)]

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-902-682/applications/year/2016/make/ford/model/focus?prefilter=1

I actually was a mechanic for about 3 years. Didn't take my intake manifold off or use swivels. Did end up taking the passenger headlight out which gave me easier access to that lower bolt. Just make sure to cover the alternator before you let the thermostat leak coolant. Will also need about a gallon or two (if I'm remembering correctly) of coolant to refill the amount that comes out after install.

Good to know! taking a headlight out is easier than the manifold lolz.

I'd suggest the fswerks stealth exhaust. That's 2.5". As for header, if go with either the obx from eBay, around 350, or I believe you can modify one of the older engine headers but it can clang around a bit.
I do not believe there is any need to increase the filter size since I believe our filter size should be good up to 350 hp (I read that somewhere but not sure the validity)
Our engines breath pretty well, I believe the true bottleneck is deeper in the engine past the throttle body.
I was thinking the same thing on the exhaust.
https://www.fswerks.com/collections/exhaust/products/fswerks-stealth-exhaust-system-ford-focus-tivct-2-0l-2012-2015-hatchback

I just don't want that Raspy, crackle sound, personally I prefer a deep tone with a deep rumble lolz.

As for the header whats the min/max pipe width your want to go ? And when I do find/get the header I plan on getting a ceramic coat on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lots of happy people with the sound from the stealth. I eventually want to go with it.

Most prefer a header that has a 2.5 collector which is what obx is. I currently have a super cheap header that is 2.25 bit that's just because it was $130 bucks vs 350

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
The intake manifold flows incredible and trying to use aftermarket intake manifolds showed a 20hp loss, the head also flows great...aftermarket intake makes a nice difference depending on how you drive...intake, header, exhaust and custom tune remove most of the obvious bottlenecks...instead of a aftermarket intake, getting the RS intake box system is very affordable and better then stock option

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, wasn't suggesting going to a new intake manifold. I remember being excited about the ttr till they got us some real numbers.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts