Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Focus at the end of 2017 brand new with only 5 miles on it...I have had no problems whatsoever. Then, last week I was driving in to work, and all of the sudden, my oil pressure light comes on and the engine starts knocking/clacking like it has no oil. I immediately exited at the next off-ramp, and then the brakes stiffened up so much that I had to use the emergency brake to stop. Long story short, I had the car towed to my Ford dealership, and they found that the vacuum pump broke apart, and sent metal shards into the engine, also causing the oil pump to fail. Fortunately, I was still covered by the powertrain warranty, and I'm getting a new engine, courtesy of Ford.

My question is, have any of you heard of this before, and should I feel comfortable driving this car again when I get it back?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow. File under 'epic fail.'

That particular failure is probably going to be quite rare. Those vacuum pumps are typically quite robust units, as they're intended for long service life. There have been units like that for pretty much as long as there have been forced induction engines, since there are many systems that depend on vacuum. They're inexpensive and generally reliable, but of course as with anything, there are exceptions.

I think that I'd be fine with the car with its shiny new engine. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealership gave me a 2019 Fusion as a loaner to drive while they order and install the engine in the Focus. Gonna be hard giving up that new car / new leather smell

·
Registered
473 Posts
They gave me a Escape for my warranty work :/.

But shit, brand new long block with all the bells and whistles for free @ 40K? You basically just got a new car again lol.

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL. If we're talking about dealership loaners, I got a 2019 Escape with a plate that had been reported lost/stolen. Nothing like spending a couple hours handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser after being pulled out of the car at gunpoint to improve your favourable impression of a dealership. (The dealership had reported the plate lost/stolen about 3 months before, and had neglected to report it found again.)

That was for the vacuum switch/fuel tank recall.

For subsequent work, I've had them pay for a rental from Budget. I have to put a deposit on my credit card for those, but somehow, I don't want to trust their loaners anymore...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They gave me a Escape for my warranty work :/.

But shit, brand new long block with all the bells and whistles for free @ 40K? You basically just got a new car again lol.
You guys are helping me feel better about all this...I appreciate it! Not ready to give up on the Focus just yet - I was just beginning to get everything the way I like it

·
Registered
494 Posts
LOL. If we're talking about dealership loaners, I got a 2019 Escape with a plate that had been reported lost/stolen. Nothing like spending a couple hours handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser after being pulled out of the car at gunpoint to improve your favourable impression of a dealership. (The dealership had reported the plate lost/stolen about 3 months before, and had neglected to report it found again.)

That was for the vacuum switch/fuel tank recall.

For subsequent work, I've had them pay for a rental from Budget. I have to put a deposit on my credit card for those, but somehow, I don't want to trust their loaners anymore...
Damn. I hope you got a free car wash out of that deal.

Seriously though, that's a major F-up that someone could have sued them for so I hope they made things right somehow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My 2008 MINI Cooper S had a similar failure. Vacuum pump seized, which stopped the exhaust cam, which sheared the cam sprocket bolt, which messed up engine timing. A piston lightly hit the two exhaust valves in one cylinder.

Makes me think I should preventative replace the vacuum pump on my 1.0 EcoBoost...

·
Registered
473 Posts
My 2008 MINI Cooper S had a similar failure. Vacuum pump seized, which stopped the exhaust cam, which sheared the cam sprocket bolt, which messed up engine timing. A piston lightly hit the two exhaust valves in one cylinder.
In all fairness, it was a Mini lol. Those things came into the bmw/mini dealer I used to work at with all sorts of the weirdest issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts