Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you go out and open the hood you can hear it missing. The RPM gauge does not drop. I swapped the coils out one by one with a new coil, and it still did it.

Car has 80k. I was trying to change the motor mount and my brother of course was insistent that wasn't a problem. He and a friend heard the engine acting funny and brought it to my attention. I have no way to know, because there's not a check engine light. Or RPM changes.

Kinda ridiculous but I wonder if it's not an injector problem. Too early for this issue but what do you know. It gets worse with the AC on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Normal behavior. My 2013 did it from day one through 105k miles, and my 2018 does it too. It does it more when warm. I'm fairly convinced it's a fuel saving measure during idle by the ECM.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normal behavior. My 2013 did it from day one through 105k miles, and my 2018 does it too. It does it more when warm. I'm fairly convinced it's a fuel saving measure during idle by the ECM.
I really don't get it. I've talked to a couple people who say theirs either doesn't do it or someone they know has one that doesn't do it.

I got your reply as soon as I left the dealer and payed $112 for a diagnostic, only to be told it definitely isn't a misfire. So some do it and some don't? Weird.

I'm definitely not interested in spending more money on diagnostics for something that might not even be an issue.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've never heard anything like a miss on mine. Maybe ask to listen to some other MK3's idling at the dealer's used lot to see if it's a "normal" sound you're hearing?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never heard anything like a miss on mine. Maybe ask to listen to some other MK3's idling at the dealer's used lot to see if it's a "normal" sound you're hearing?
Well it looks like I might have to head to the dealer maybe on Saturday and get the keys to another Focus.

It's not showing up as a misfire on their scanner. The tech said it could be the purge valve, but I don't see how it could be an issue with the purge seeing as how I literally just changed it like a month ago.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to the dealer today. The lady and I ran a 2016 Focus with 21,000 miles. It did it as well, and same conditions too, after the car has reached operating temp.

I think I have an exhaust leak though. A few weeks ago the car started to run like it was lacking power and there is vibration in the gas pedal that comes and goes. I need to try changing the motor mount too.

Ugh...cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to check the spark plugs to make sure they're good and tight. It's free, easy, and will only take a few minutes.

I had a car with a slightly loose plug and it would do weird things.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It wouldn't hurt to check the spark plugs to make sure they're good and tight. It's free, easy, and will only take a few minutes.

I had a car with a slightly loose plug and it would do weird things.
I've tightened mine at real close to spec with a torque wrench. I only have a lb ft wrench though, not an inch pound. So instead of being 11.08 lb ft, it's 11.5 lb ft. So, good and tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts