Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They’ve been replaced once and here we are again. 750 miles left of 3/36 is this going to be a common occurrence or should I go get em to replace them one more time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
68k on my 2016 with no peeling, but I don't live in Florida. If you have them replaced again, maybe think about having protection film installed to protect from UV rays.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
That final layer of clear paint IS the 'protection film installed to protect from UV rays'.

Here in Texas that coating peels pretty fast too, sunlight does it.

The Ford stuff usually lasts but if the replacements were cheap Chinese (they can look eyepopping good when new) like TYC or Depo, those tend to lose the top coat really fast.

Some Ford dealerships use aftermarket parts that save whopping amounts of money but let the customers think they are official Ford parts when they are not. I saw plenty of that, we had Ford dealer clients that did it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That final layer of clear paint IS the 'protection film installed to protect from UV rays'.

The Ford stuff usually lasts but if the replacements were cheap Chinese (they can look eyepopping good when new) like TYC or Depo, those tend to lose the top coat really fast.

Some Ford dealerships use aftermarket parts that save whopping amounts of money but let the customers think they are official Ford parts when they are not. I saw plenty of that, we had Ford dealer clients that did it.
By protection film, I was talking about stuff like this:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/Scotchgard-Paint-Protection-Film-Pro-Series/?N=5002385+3292322927&rt=rud

This 8 mil (203micron) polyurethane film is reinforced with a clear coat of hard-wearing urethane that provides additional protection from UV damage

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
They’ve been replaced once and here we are again. 750 miles left of 3/36 is this going to be a common occurrence or should I go get em to replace them one more time?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
If it's under warranty, get them replaced again...

If the OP had them replaced under factory warranty, the dealership is required to use Ford parts.

·
FUBARCUS
7,760 Posts
Have them replaced under warranty and then add a protective film like mentioned above.

I usually use lamin-x on my vehicles.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to Ford today. They took pictures this time to submit to Ford to approve another replacement not sure why they needed to take pictures this time but that’s what they did. Said they’ll call me back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 16 Kona blue SE as well. Had my passenger side replaced a couple months ago and when it was in the shop a little over a month ago they ordered up the driver side. Took about a month to come in, kinda almost forgot about it. Had it swapped last Saturday. Two fresh headlights....hope I don't have to keep getting them replaced.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE

Ford wanted two sets of pics and I had to go back to have them taken again.

After reviewing 2nd set of photos they’re replacing the headlights under warranty literally 3 days before it expires.

The good news is they’re putting me in a rental this time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2012 headlights have been like this for a few years now. Was looking around on here for others experience and hoping to find someone who had restored them with the sandpaper and clearcoat method. Still looking...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had this happen to one of my headlight too (the "newer" one was replaced by the previous owner so it still looks brand new).
I don't think sandpapering it will do any good, as it almost feels like the peel is happening inside the headlight as moving my fingers over it I can't feel any rough plastic, its smooth just like the other part of the headlight.

·
Registered
180 Posts
general rule of thumb, if the peeling/hazing is can be felt, its on the outside and can be... remedied.. if you cant feel it, its on the inside and usually cant be fixed, if you see cracking this cant be fixed either.

sun is bad for the outside, water is bad for the inside.

UV from the sun is a big factor, if you can try to park your car in a way that the front end spend the least time in direct sun (park facing the other way, behind a building, in the garage, under a tree if you can stand the poop)

check your headlights periodically for noticeable water, full of water, steamed, droplets, etc. if you do notice water, somehow it has or is getting in and the water will ruin the inside and there will be no fix. take them out, dry it out and try to find the source of entry, and use an all weather sealant (silicon gasket, caulking, etc) and seal it up

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had my warranty claim denied. They said it is aftermarket tint.

So now I have to argue that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had my warranty claim denied. They said it is aftermarket tint.

So now I have to argue that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Who said it was aftermarket tint? My service advisor took photos with a sticky note saying L or R and pointed with a pen to where it was and emailed ford and they approved the replacement within about 24-48h under factory 3/36

my '15 has this issue on both. wonder if i can claim it on my extended warranty lol

Tbh idk if it would or not I have the platinum or whatever the highest one is for 8/125 check the terms in your agreement 15 may have been different on coverages?

I know there’s a separate coverage for interior/exterior lighting I personally picked that up because I have the ambient.

Idk how your dealer is but my Service advisor here knows her stuff and what she doesn’t she cross references the part number when I ask her to see if it would hypothetically be covered.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tbh idk if it would or not I have the platinum or whatever the highest one is for 8/125 check the terms in your agreement 15 may have been different on coverages?

I know there’s a separate coverage for interior/exterior lighting I personally picked that up because I have the ambient.

Idk how your dealer is but my Service advisor here knows her stuff and what she doesn’t she cross references the part number when I ask her to see if it would hypothetically be covered.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Went in and got pics taken. Got approved, just have to set time to go in. Glad I got the light coverage. $50 for both replaced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts