Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just to update this thread on this transmission issue, I have a 2015 with 21k and it is shuddering and shifts "sluggishly". My daughter has been driving it mostly so no idea on when this started. I guess I have a trip to the dealer in my near future.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Just to update this thread on this transmission issue, I have a 2015 with 21k and it is shuddering and shifts "sluggishly". My daughter has been driving it mostly so no idea on when this started. I guess I have a trip to the dealer in my near future.
Yup^^^

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got 39k on my '15 and I have no problems whatsoever the only thing I've had to do is regular maintenance (oil changes, etc...) and put new tires on it at 27k( the factory Contiprocontacts suck so much)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My 2015 has only 11k on it, but that's climbing substantially. In traffic, when it's in 5-10 mph range doesn't like to shift into 2nd gear. It'll sit at 2000 rpm in 1st gear. Until I put it in S and manually up shift, it'll sit there.

If I release throttle in 1st gear at 2k rpms, it'll definitely engine brake and stay in 1st gear.

Maybe that's the sluggish shifting she's experiencing.

These transaxles definitely aren't for those who like torque converter transmissions and want and expect it to behave as such.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've got 39k on my '15 and I have no problems whatsoever the only thing I've had to do is regular maintenance (oil changes, etc...) and put new tires on it at 27k( the factory Contiprocontacts suck so much)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using FF Mobile
Oh crap. I too have the ContiPro Contacts. My '14 had the Cooper RS3-As, but traded in with 14k on the clock. Sounds like 30k is all I can expect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got a 2016 hatchback for my daughter. I'm hoping all will be OK with the transmission.

The transmission issues are well known, and because of it, I was able to get a great deal on the car. I paid less for this brand new focus than I would have paid for a used newer model Mazda 3 hatchback.

We've already put over 250 miles on it in the first few days, including one trip in heavy traffic going up a mountain for about 30 minutes. No issues with the transmission, and hopefully that will continue.

I like DCT. My daily driver 911 (997) has a dual clutch transmission and it is awesome. Different from an automatic, but can be used as one for the daily commute. Paddle shifters for when you want to have some fun.

I think more and more manufacturers are going to these transmissions in the future. Soon, the automatic transmission (with torque converter), as well as the old manual transmission will be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just got a 2016 hatchback for my daughter. I'm hoping all will be OK with the transmission.

The transmission issues are well known, and because of it, I was able to get a great deal on the car. I paid less for this brand new focus than I would have paid for a used newer model Mazda 3 hatchback.

We've already put over 250 miles on it in the first few days, including one trip in heavy traffic going up a mountain for about 30 minutes. No issues with the transmission, and hopefully that will continue.

I like DCT. My daily driver 911 (997) has a dual clutch transmission and it is awesome. Different from an automatic, but can be used as one for the daily commute. Paddle shifters for when you want to have some fun.

I think more and more manufacturers are going to these transmissions in the future. Soon, the automatic transmission (with torque converter), as well as the old manual transmission will be a thing of the past.
I think torque converter transmissions are here to stay. Especially with 7, 8, and F-150 with 10(?) speeds out there. Is the Mustang to share a transmission with the Camaro? Well "share" as in very similar, and sharing of the development costs with GM.

Nevertheless, I'm with you. I like the feel of the DCT in the Focus. But... I've never had an automatic within the past few years of advances.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife has a 2016 with 12k miles - it's maybe 8 months old - just this week, it started shuddering at acceleration, and grinding as well when it shifts to 2nd gear... took it to Ford and they inspected it, saying there's no metal shavings in the trans fluid, and the way it's behaving is 'normal'. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My wife has a 2016 with 12k miles - it's maybe 8 months old - just this week, it started shuddering at acceleration, and grinding as well when it shifts to 2nd gear... took it to Ford and they inspected it, saying there's no metal shavings in the trans fluid, and the way it's behaving is 'normal'. Very disappointed.
Better trade it in now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, mine is starting too. I'm about to also hit 12,000 miles. It just comes and goes though. Like it will be fine for a week and then it shudders randomly the next. The grinding is what bugs me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ugh. My wife's 2016 with 11,500 is having these issues. The car dies after shuddering and bucking. Usually after a long slow uphill or after a downhill when it should downshift. It's in the shop for the 3rd time. 1st-Couldn't duplicate, 2nd-new ignition switch, 3rd-still waiting...

It is very intermittent and drives fine sometimes, but is not trustworthy.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Ugh. My wife's 2016 with 11,500 is having these issues. The car dies after shuddering and bucking. Usually after a long slow uphill or after a downhill when it should downshift. It's in the shop for the 3rd time. 1st-Couldn't duplicate, 2nd-new ignition switch, 3rd-still waiting...

I'd suggest while at the Ford dealer, see about trading it in for a Fusion.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Forgot to update. They found a wire in the harness that was "rubbed" bare. The wire went to the fuel pump. At times, it would "ground out" and trip the fuel pump off. "Knock on wood" the car has been great since they found and fixed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Forgot to update. They found a wire in the harness that was "rubbed" bare. The wire went to the fuel pump. At times, it would "ground out" and trip the fuel pump off. "Knock on wood" the car has been great since they found and fixed.
That's great to hear, but that should have never happened to begin with. Glad that everything is OK now

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Well I am at 86K , regular maintenance and it seems like I am driving with the parking break on a little.

·
Registered
422 Posts
16 Focus.27,000 miles studder happened.Dealer flashed.Ok past 2,000 miles.
Tires worn out at 29,000 miles.ContiProCrap
I have 15000 on my 16 focus, it's starting to grind sometimes. It doesn't stutter very much, just randomly. Probably like once every month or so. The grinding though probably happens once a week. I'm going to take it for oil change soon so I'll ask about that. I'm sure they'll just say "it's normal"

I believe mine was built on on 11-25-15

101 - 120 of 131 Posts