Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you tell me about the 2016 Automatic ? I currently have a 2013 and haven't had any issues now the GF is looking at a 2016 sedan auto. Any good points/bad. Is the tranny still iffy ?

·
Registered
277 Posts
They updated the internals and a highly revised shift strategy of the DPS6 on the 2015 and up model years IIRC I'd have to go back and read up on my workshop manual,

I have yet to have even the SLIGHTEST shudder... whether it be first thing in the morning or in stop-and-go rush hour traffic whether driving it like a grandma or like a madman out of hell so that should say something [thumb]

Edit: You should have her get a hatchback, they are so much more fun and sporty looking[hihi], just my opinion

·
Registered
466 Posts
What can you tell me about the 2016 Automatic ? I currently have a 2013 and haven't had any issues now the GF is looking at a 2016 sedan auto. Any good points/bad. Is the tranny still iffy ?
no bro just no. unless you get a manual. this dual clutch overall is not a good design regardless of the changes in clutch distances or whatever little changes theyve made

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have yet to have even the SLIGHTEST shudder... whether it be first thing in the morning or in stop-and-go rush hour traffic whether driving it like a grandma or like a madman out of hell so that should say something [thumb]
Ditto! on my 2016.

I've got almost 6k mile.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
There is the choice of the 1.0L EcoBoost paired with the normal 6 speed automatic transmission. (Not the dual clutch Powershift that is paired with the 2.0L engine)

·
Registered
105 Posts
2015 Hatchback here, and I have slight jerkiness when accelerating from a dead stop, but only after my car's been warmed up for a while. Strange that it's perfectly smooth first thing in the day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't buy this car, save yourself the headache, because if it starts having a minor issue, trust me it will lead to major headaches. 5x had my tranny gone for either or both clutches/module, now at its 6th time the POS at Ford don't want to honor the extended warranty claiming it is not 'shuddering' and forcing me to pay for a full rebuilt + car rental fees on top the parts may not be available for weeks + the Regional CSM has ignored my emails and voice mails!

·
Registered
55 Posts
2015 Hatchback here, and I have slight jerkiness when accelerating from a dead stop, but only after my car's been warmed up for a while. Strange that it's perfectly smooth first thing in the day.
Not to jinx you, but it will get worse. The DCT is a piece of garbage, more so in city driving.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a 2015 Focus loaner with ~8,000 miles on it that had horrible shudder and the hesitation to accelerate, so I would hardly call it fixed.

I had that loaner when my 2013 Focus was in the shop for the same issue the second time , so I am well aware of what normal and gone bad drives like.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No clutch chatter on my '15 DCT, nor did I have any on my '14 DCT except after one time of washing the engine bay with prodigious amounts of water.

The chatter went away after four stops and neutral to 1st gear engagements.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for my poor english, i live in Brazil........... :p

Well..........

I think so, anyone who buys a car like that thinking is a car with a conventional automatic transmission will go wrong because it is not.

This is a manual transmission controlled by a robotic system, but it is still a manual transmission, it must be managed as a manual transmission, otherwise it will cause problems, especially in clutches.

This should be the first thing to think about when you considering buying this car, the rest of it is fantastic.

If you want something with behavior of a car equipped with automatic traditional epicyclic transmission, and and buys a DCT, maybe you going to have to relearn how to use the car, and many have difficulty with that.

That's my opinion.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
How do you relearn, Just give some throttle & let it do or don't go its shifting? Could be some of the robot's aren't team members helping out one another or are busy texting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do you relearn, Just give some throttle & let it do or don't go its shifting? Could be some of the robot's aren't team members helping out one another or are busy texting.
There are drivers who drive these cars equipped with DCT wrongly, hold the car uphill with the acceleration of the engine, not with the brakes, drive in a way that transmission spends a lot of time doing half clutch, this in addition to overheat the system, reduces the life of the clutches, and there are those who do not like the way the DCT transmission works, they say they feel the shifiting cog, try it with a manual transmission, quickly switch gears without being noticed the gears changes.........it´s a manual trasmission........

Did I could explain what I wanted? I say in the form of expression (?) ...... like I said, my English is poor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with you...I'm having major dealings right now with Ford after 5 fixes of the DCT and now at its 6th time (in which they are using excuses on not to cover under the extended warranty) but...

...IF Ford is going to mass market an auto like this, I think they should of thought twice using this DCT if it needs to be driven a certain way. Use this trans on higher end sport style cars not economy cars.
In my opinion, being I live an drive in NYC and drive all over the tri-sate in stop and go traffic, this DCT is a nightmare and not made for urban driving.

When the trans is working for oh about 10-15k miles, the car is a dream, after and dealing with Ford, its a absolute nightmare.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts