Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! First post!
I'm leasing a 2016 Ford Focus SE manual transmission (got 40,500 miles on her). Live in the LA-area. Last night was lucky enough to go to Game 2 Cubs @ Dodgers. So for those who don't know, Dodger Stadium sits on top of a big hill. The drive up is super steep. Lots of traffic for the game, so I was just inching up this hill for a good 45 min! Did everything I could to avoid riding the clutch: kept out of gear, used the parking brake, etc. But started getting hit with that awful burning smell that just lingered and lingered. Parked and went to the game, hoped everything would cool down. Walking back to the car could smell that smell from 20 feet away. I was worried about driving home but everything actually seemed fine (aside from the smell). Didn't notice any slipping, knocking, clunking, etc. I wanted to be safe so I took it to the local Ford dealer this morning to see if they could give an opinion. They had their transmission tech do a test drive and he said 1) smell is terrible, 2) clutch wasn't catching/engaging until very top as he brought his foot up. They said my clutch is definitely burned out and needs to be replaced. Quoted me $814 just labor "to tear down and inspect...plus parts." Total quote: $1500-$1800.

Does this seem right? I planned to take it somewhere else for second opinions, but I'm wondering if there are other cheaper options, or if there really even is anything wrong. I'm a broke graduate student and this would absolutely bankrupt me! Hoping I'm not screwed, looking for some feedback.

Thanks in advance!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,301 Posts
Sounds about right for a dealer price. I'd check out some local shops to see what they charge. http://c-f-m.com has what you need. I'd also replace the throw out bearing also. Next time go around a different way, might be miles longer but worth saving the clutch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts