Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a few days ago, I noticed while driving that it seemed a little to easy to shift into 1st, third, and 5th. A lot of wiggle room with the shifter, and it seems as if it doesn’t pop into gear till I hit the farthest point on the shifter. I’m really not sure where to start with this as I’m not as adept with transmission as I’d like. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Could be your shift cables. Check the connection at the shifter and at the transmission. Observe the action and see if something looks off. Could just be a bushing or something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out the linkage and cables under hood and everything seemed ok. I’ll pop the paneling off the shifter and check that out then

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the problem just got worse. First I lost 1, 3, and 5 gears.... and now if I wiggle the shifter enough I might get it into 2nd. Pretty much stuck in neutral and sometimes reverse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shifter moves, shift tower moves. Cables are fine. If I wiggle and play with the shifter enough I can get it into second and reverse, and it takes about the same amount of wiggling to get it back out of second or reverse

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As ford calls it. The shift selector... it’s the shift tower on top of the transmission. The pin sheared off inside of the mechanism, causing the component to slip under pressure and not change gears.I replaced it with the bolt shown in this picture.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks!

Did anything from sheared off pin get in the transmission case?

The 5sp, which was a mtx75, on Ford Contour's V6's had a similar issue with their shift tower. However, the tower design must have been different, because the sheared of pin had a great tendency to drop into the transmission case when it broke and wreck the tranny. Before my 2012 Focus I had a 99 Contour 5 speed with the V6. I replaced it with a Focus shift tower, which was what the forum I was on recommended. I assume it was the shift tower for the MK2, since this was the mid 2000's, way before the MK3.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not that I know of, however not long after I got everything back together and driving I’ve noticed what I believe to be my syncros are going.... 1 and 3 shift very odd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts