Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a request from felixthecat, I've decided to do a review of my FiST.

After driving the FiST for awhile- here are my thoughts:
A lot of people have advised getting a new RMM. My first thoughts were, "yeah, I could see how that may help things." But let me tell you this: this car's shifting did NOT feel too bad at all when I first bought the car, but now it feels terrible; yes, terrible. I'm claiming that the factory RMM (and possibly other mounts) have broken in, and there is noticeable movement in a bad way. It's also worth noting that I have never launched the car, and I've never even put the throttle to floor in first gear yet.

As far as power goes, it feels much quicker than my MK3 N/A. Second gear feels very strong (again I don't know how first gear feels yet), but now that I'm used to the cars power- third, and forth gear at times are, well, rather unimpressive to me, and sometimes fourth gear feels like it pulls harder than third, which I find strange.

So far I'm happy with this car, but an aftermarket RMM seems paramount. And I think a stage 1 tune would benefit the car a great deal.

After driving the FiST for a few weeks, I decided to drive my MK3 for a couple weeks. At first the MK3 felt super sluggish, heavy, slow, and the steering was completely numb in feel. It felt like I was driving my old 1978 Cadillac all over again; it was one extreme to another. However, after being in the MK3 long enough for the FiST's effects to wear off a bit, the car felt great again.

I love both cars. They make a good combo. Thanks for reading.

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
Get an intake and tune on the FiST and it turns into another car completely. Loved my FiST.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cobb RMM installed; what a difference! I can only imagine how much of a difference it'd make on an MK3 Focus, especially those with a manual.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Cobb RMM installed; what a difference! I can only imagine how much of a difference it'd make on an MK3 Focus, especially those with a manual.
I got one, it's awesome. Before it the DCT would jerk and the engine would move incredibly violent, I had tons of wheel hop. All that is gone now and a few thousand miles later almost no vibes and only at idle. Good investment :)

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checking in to see what the community has been up to. I’m going to go through some threads to see what’s become of the MK3 platform.

As for myself, I traded my Focus in for another FiST. I’ve been double FiSTed for awhile now lol. I haven’t done anything else to the 2016, but I just bought tons of stuff for my 2017.

List of parts/modifications:

Bigger intercooler (54% larger than OE intercooler).
Velossa Tech BIGMOUTH snorkel.
Cobb drop-in filter.
Cobb Accessport with custom 91, 93, E30 flash tunes.
Cobb RMM.
2 point chassis brace.
Shocks/Struts.
Springs.
Short shift kit.

Between the intake, intercooler, and E30 tune- I’ll be adding roughly 90 ft lbs torque, and 30 horsepower. Not too bad of gains for the $1,000 trio.

Thanks for reading. I’m super excited to start installing this stuff!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seth, What springs/dampers did you go with? Have you thought about the K/W c/o's?
2014-2016 models have higher spring rates, and their dampers are more aggressive than the 2017s. But the 2017s have a thicker front sway bar, and thicker rear torsion beam. They’re both 33% stiffer. I purchased a set of OE 2014 dampers & springs. I think it’ll make a good combo.

If I’m not completely happy with this set up- I’m going to either get B8’s & Swift springs, or C/O’s.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So that'd mean the '17's ride better then the '14-'16's?
In stock form yes. The 14-16 rides stiff. Ford softened the springs and dampers on the 17’s and stiffened the front sway bar, and torsion beam to make up the difference. So the 17 rides smoother, but it also has more body roll. A sacrifice Ford made to improve ride quality.

I prefer the 14-16’s handling, but I’m going to take advantage of the 17’s stouter FSB, and torsion beam by adding the aggressive dampers & springs.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
In stock form yes. The 14-16 rides stiff. Ford softened the springs and dampers on the 17’s and stiffened the front sway bar, and torsion beam to make up the difference. So the 17 rides smoother, but it also has more body roll. A sacrifice Ford made to improve ride quality.

I prefer the 14-16’s handling, but I’m going to take advantage of the 17’s stouter FSB, and torsion beam by adding the aggressive dampers & springs.
Thoughts on K/W c/o's? So the '17's have more body roll even w/ the stiffer front bar & torsion beam? That sounds very similar to the '93 cobra Mustang, soften up the springs, but went w/ stiffer bars & that car actually cornered better then the GT w/ stiffer springs.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see the ST brand offers 3 c/o kits for the fist + a f/r sway bars....Lotta cool parts
The FiST has decent support. I think the FoST & FoRS support may be better. Too bad Ford doesn’t want to make hot hatches anymore :(

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Since the fist came out, those are really very temping.....One major thing= lack of trunk space, for say like costco runs, ect.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since the fist came out, those are really very temping.....One major thing= lack of trunk space, for say like costco runs, ect.
Surprisingly, the cabin space isn’t all that much smaller than the MK3 Focus, but you’re right about the trunk, that’s where the penalty is. However, once you remove the bottom deck, and take the full size spare tire out, there’s tons of room!

They’re worth it. They can be had really cheap, too. I paid $17,073 for the 2016, and $18,204 for the 2017 with 0% interest!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts