Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First picture is my new one, bought on Rock Auto, is Gates brand.

I autocross my car, and I win. Base model, no engine mods. But on 100F days, the engine tortures the cooling system. This winter, she was warming up really slow. I had seen the videos on this engine, and saw the broken posts, and that is not what I found. See second picture. I guess Ford learned something.

Result: smooth rise in temp up to warm, no overheating. Look forward to warmer mornings driving to work, and good racing this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
why not just upgrade to a 180 degree thermostat?

Amazon link

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with a 195F OE replacement. The temp gauge is at the normal spot that it ran when I bought it new. And, I don't want to get caught running a custom tune in SCCA autocross.. I'm planning to run divisional autocross this year, and I could get challenged.

I just thought the factory unit was quite different that what I had seen on youtube.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I went with a 195F OE replacement. The temp gauge is at the normal spot that it ran when I bought it new. And, I don't want to get caught running a custom tune in SCCA autocross.. I'm planning to run divisional autocross this year, and I could get challenged.

I just thought the factory unit was quite different that what I had seen on youtube.
The 180 is not actually 180, more like 185-190, but it's still better for the engine.. you need a tune to be able to take advantage of it, plus a tune has a lot of other advantages

·
FF Affiliate
30,348 Posts
With out turning on the fans sooner there will be little the 180 can do on its own other then open sooner , temps will still reach about the same

Tom

·
Registered
103 Posts
Am I reading all this correct?... If I install a 180F Thermostat, I need a tune for it to make a difference?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^YES.... and going back to OP, I prefer the design of the bottom one with the metal, not liking ho the new one is built, doesn't look like it's built to last

1 - 9 of 9 Posts