Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like motortrend.com and autotrader.com have reviews up now for the 2015 Focus, I was interested in what they had to say about the Powershift 6spd Auto and unfortunately it looks like they still complain of it being "unrefined." I'm going to test drive one tomorrow and see if it's different myself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I sat in one last week. I really liked the interior upgrades. I'd love to have the rearranged center console and cubby hole beneath the AC controls.

·
Registered
207 Posts
AutoTrader:
http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-reviews/235992/2015-ford-focus-new-car-review.jsp

----------------------------------------

MotorTrend:
http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1503_2015_ford_focus_first_drive/

---------------------------------------

Autobytel
http://www.autobytel.com/ford/focus...d-focus-se-1-0l-ecoboost-video-review-128140/

http://youtu.be/9rla2fBlNAs

Pros & Cons

Pros: Delightful handling, outstanding high tech features, smooth ride, and quiet operation. Well-crafted interior with a quality look and feel, outstanding value for the price.

Cons: Could use more rear-seat legroom, rumblings about transmission issues for the 2014 automated manual transmission equipped models.
---------------------------------------

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is a band wagon to jump on called 'Focus Transmissions Issues.' I am not saying that there is NOT an issue with the DCT but when I read a review that the writer cautions people to be mindful of the transmission failures and the vehicle getting reviewed is a MANUAL Focus it certainly tells me that the writer is going with the flow and jumping on that wagon without taking the time to understand the issue.

This stigma is going to be with the Focus for a long time me thinks....right on through the application of a new transmission. Those of use here will know the difference but the 'reviews' will be trumpetiing this for a long time until a whole new car is released.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Motortrend review does actually test the 2015 w/PowerShift and they say:

"The PowerShift six-speed's programming has improved substantially since 2012, but overall refinement still lags behind competitor transmissions. There's the occasional stubborn takeoff, as it seems the countermeasure against the old software's proclivity for lurching from a stop was to drastically slow the power delivery to the wheels. Upon downshift summons, it sounds like the Focus tranny has to slip the right gear's clutch before engaging, presumably to limit shift shock that'd be felt in the cabin. A transmission that is generally slow to respond in both Drive and Sport modes and has to rev the engine before slotting in gear is not helpful when Los Angeles' windows of opportunity to pass on traffic-clogged freeways are very narrow. To our eyes, a more polished automatic and extra back seat space would make the Focus better.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1503_2015_ford_focus_first_drive/#ixzz3TKcPHAPl"

I personally love my '12 Titanium w/DCT, I had issues with the seal leaking on the clutch pack, but that was fixed and the car runs great, just not like a traditional automatic. I think if anything could be done over, Ford should have offered the 6spd DCT as an option called "Automated Manual" and still offered a run of the mill automatic beside it, instead many people bought a car they thought was a traditional automatic. They really need to address this to the public directly and get out in front of it before it damages their brand even more, for many people a compact car is the first car they buy, imagine all the folks who are now turned off from Ford because of this...

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Motortrend review does actually test the 2015 w/PowerShift and they say:

"The PowerShift six-speed's programming has improved substantially since 2012, but overall refinement still lags behind competitor transmissions. There's the occasional stubborn takeoff, as it seems the countermeasure against the old software's proclivity for lurching from a stop was to drastically slow the power delivery to the wheels. Upon downshift summons, it sounds like the Focus tranny has to slip the right gear's clutch before engaging, presumably to limit shift shock that'd be felt in the cabin. A transmission that is generally slow to respond in both Drive and Sport modes and has to rev the engine before slotting in gear is not helpful when Los Angeles' windows of opportunity to pass on traffic-clogged freeways are very narrow. To our eyes, a more polished automatic and extra back seat space would make the Focus better.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1503_2015_ford_focus_first_drive/#ixzz3TKcPHAPl"

I personally love my '12 Titanium w/DCT, I had issues with the seal leaking on the clutch pack, but that was fixed and the car runs great, just not like a traditional automatic. I think if anything could be done over, Ford should have offered the 6spd DCT as an option called "Automated Manual" and still offered a run of the mill automatic beside it, instead many people bought a car they thought was a traditional automatic. They really need to address this to the public directly and get out in front of it before it damages their brand even more, for many people a compact car is the first car they buy, imagine all the folks who are now turned off from Ford because of this...
I agree 100%. Everyone that borrows my SE Sport says there is something wrong with my automatic transmission. I explain that it is not an automatic but a manual that someone else is shifting for you. The response is nearly universal..."that's stupid." Marketing screwed this one up. Like Ford does with the Ecoboost engines there should have been a huge marketing push on how this works with cutaway graphics and animated videos. A little bit of prework would have gone a long way. Seals and clutches would still have been an issue but the perception issues on how it operates would have been nixed.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think the front looks pretty ugly and I don't know why the instrument cluster is still analog.

Okay, I've done my complaining for today.

Enjoy your 15's everyone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
"right on through the application of a new transmission."

Is the Focus getting a new transmission? A recall? Do you know something we don't know?
I had the seals and clutch pack replaced and the software updated once. It is much better and I am enjoying it. The occasional jerk I can live with. If they programed the transmission so it is less responsive (slower) I don't know that I'd take it to the dealer for any tweaking.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
The front end of the 2015 is a travesty but I do agree with Autotrader:

We much prefer the 5-speed manual, which we think adds a sporting character to the Focus that's more in line with the car's nature.

...even the entry-level model provides sophisticated driving dynamics that remind us of more expensive sport-luxury cars. In any trim and specification, the Focus is composed, refined and satisfyingly responsive

·
Registered
976 Posts
MT is always going to go with the manual over any auto/automated gear box...as they should!

·
Registered
180 Posts

Is the Focus getting a new transmission? A recall? Do you know something we don't know?
I had the seals and clutch pack replaced and the software updated once. It is much better and I am enjoying it. The occasional jerk I can live with. If they programed the transmission so it is less responsive (slower) I don't know that I'd take it to the dealer for any tweaking.
No, I have no special crystal ball. These things change over time. There is a rumor though that Ford is working on something new but only rumor at this point until something comes out official.

The Focus came to NA in 2000 and was freshened in 2008 then completely changed in 2012. This version is already in freshened mode for 2015 so it appears to be a bit more accelerated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I've seen others writing about the Focus getting the new 10spd that is being co-developed with GM, and I've seen others write about how Getrag won't be making anymore DCT transmissions after the current model... It's all speculation at this point though. Also, we don't know what (if anything) has been done to the '15 Focus DCT programming and hardware at this point, if in 3 months from now we're seeing posts about people taking in their 2015's for DCT issues and we see new TSB's specifically for the 15's vs. the pre 15's then that's pretty telling that at least the TCM/PCM that controls the transmission is different, if not more...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I've seen others writing about the Focus getting the new 10spd that is being co-developed with GM.
The new 10 speed is for RWD vehicles.

Ford Europe has added the 6F auto box to the new Focus, 1.0EB 125hp, & 1.5EB engines.

In some markets the new Focus is still offered with the 1.6L Ti-VCT 125hp engine & dry dual clutch Powershift, but this engine and transmission is on its way out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Original (MkI) version was updated in '05 (Mk1.5), replaced in '08 with a USA/CA version (MkII). The rest of the World got a different MkII with more similarities to the current MkIII, which they got in '11.

So yes, the current model's timeline is accelerated vs. the Mk1 - but despite it's popularity that version didn't go 8 model years without change.

Tend to agree with Wildsailor, the trans. will have a bit of a reputation for a long time. That reputation is a LOT more well known here than anywhere else. Transmissions on the whole are rapidly changing, with many acting a little strange in one way or another. Makes this area one that gets more reporting than it got in the past.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Original (MkI) version was updated in '05 (Mk1.5), replaced in '08 with a USA/CA version (MkII). The rest of the World got a different MkII with more similarities to the current MkIII, which they got in '11.

So yes, the current model's timeline is accelerated vs. the Mk1 - but despite it's popularity that version didn't go 8 model years without change.

Tend to agree with Wildsailor, the trans. will have a bit of a reputation for a long time. That reputation is a LOT more well known here than anywhere else. Transmissions on the whole are rapidly changing, with many acting a little strange in one way or another. Makes this area one that gets more reporting than it got in the past.
For the USA/CAN models it was C170 based from 2000-2011 with the two minor facelifts of the platform (new top hat sheet metal in 2008, but structurally it was carry over from the original car for the most part). The US MKII Focus is really a face lifted MK1/1.5 compared to the rest of the world's model out of Europe.

Then for the MK3 launched in early 2011 as a 2012 Model it's been the C346 chassis. Even the 2015 model remains on the C346 chassis code.

In Europe the C170 lasted from 1998-2003, the C307 from 2004-2010, and the C346 from 2011-present. The C346 was originally known as the C1MCA as it was the mid cycle refresh on the C1 based C307 chassis.

It wasn't until 2011 that the Focus has again been on a shared global platform.

Even on the shared platform there will always be minor differences in available features, option packages, and required functional regulatory changes that until global regulatory harmonization is achieved.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Global harmonization? Should I be looking for my Mao jacket now? I can't get Ford NA to keep upscale features on the Focus. Trying to bring change to a globally harmonized Ford would be like an ant pushing a boulder. We'll just have to take what Ford gives us and shut up.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

I think he means when the Focus (2018 perhaps?) gets a new transaxle, word will still be on the street. I think word is still on the street with the Taurus nameplate which suffered 3.8V6 head gasket failures. Think I've heard "You don't want the V6 in the 2014 Taurus, they have a habit of blowing head gaskets."

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think he means when the Focus (2018 perhaps?) gets a new transaxle, word will still be on the street. I think word is still on the street with the Taurus nameplate which suffered 3.8V6 head gasket failures. Think I've heard "You don't want the V6 in the 2014 Taurus, they have a habit of blowing head gaskets."
Aye! Nailed it...

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I've seen others writing about the Focus getting the new 10spd that is being co-developed with GM, and I've seen others write about how Getrag won't be making anymore DCT transmissions after the current model...
More internet B.S. to add to the pile. The 10-speed is for trucks; the 2017 Ford Raptor with 3.5 EcoBoost is said to be the first application. Maybe the 9-speed they're co-developing for cars.

And I think the concensus is Getrag has said they're abandoning dry DCTs. They're developing a 7-speed wet DCT now. That could very well go in the MK4 Focus, especially since the next Cruze is rumored to have a 7-speed DCT (more internet B.S., I know...)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts