Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 2015 focus since last July, have put 62k miles on it since being back from overseas. Once I cracked 60k, the damn thing has been shuddering like a nightmare on and off. In 2nd it'll stumble when trying to reach over 40mph and the take off is ridiculous at times. Rented another foucs a while ago and it was not nearly as sluggish. Am I pretty much screwed since I'm out of drivetrain warranty? I read somewhere the 12-14s got extended to 100k. Kinda pissed off I bought this car new and have this issue begin once it reaches the end of the warranty after only a year.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Moved to the MkIII problems section.

Lots of miles, and yes you are officially out of luck for a Factory fix at the moment.

IF the mileage is in the 62k range TOTAL, it would be worth taking it to a Dealer and contacting Ford customer service to see if any special consideration help may be avail.. What they'll do in the future and current policies can only be known by trying or waiting.

The only other option is to try the "tune" solution of aftermarket tuning that can often help with shuddering based on reports here.

DO read up on driving hints here, combining occasional "clutch scrub" runs (hard acceleration from zero to at least 60) with "driving it like a manual" hints has helped many to reduce or even eliminate issues over time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's a freaking shame. That warranty needs to be on every FOCUS and fiesta dct car no matter the year. I would be pissed!!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
__________/\__
2,138 Posts
Moved to the MkIII problems section.

Lots of miles, and yes you are officially out of luck for a Factory fix at the moment.

IF the mileage is in the 62k range TOTAL, it would be worth taking it to a Dealer and contacting Ford customer service to see if any special consideration help may be avail.. What they'll do in the future and current policies can only be known by trying or waiting.

The only other option is to try the "tune" solution of aftermarket tuning that can often help with shuddering based on reports here.

DO read up on driving hints here, combining occasional "clutch scrub" runs (hard acceleration from zero to at least 60) with "driving it like a manual" hints has helped many to reduce or even eliminate issues over time.
Try the clutch scrub first. Definitely take it to the dealer and ask for special consideration. You never know, they might be able to help. I do not recommend a tune for clutch problems. Tune for performance is fine but trying to eliminate a possible mechanical problem with a tune? No thanks, find out what's wrong with the clutches. (Also, tunes are not cheap)

That's a freaking shame. That warranty needs to be on every FOCUS and fiesta dct car no matter the year.
Agree 100%. If Ford wants to bolster owner loyalty and in light of all the problems.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
So I've had my 2015 focus since last July, have put 62k miles on it since being back from overseas. Once I cracked 60k, the damn thing has been shuddering like a nightmare on and off. In 2nd it'll stumble when trying to reach over 40mph and the take off is ridiculous at times. Rented another foucs a while ago and it was not nearly as sluggish. Am I pretty much screwed since I'm out of drivetrain warranty? I read somewhere the 12-14s got extended to 100k. Kinda pissed off I bought this car new and have this issue begin once it reaches the end of the warranty after only a year.
Okay so I read that only the 12-14 got the FULL 100k extension. I have a 2015 and got my extension letter about a month ago for the TCM. I'm covered for 150k miles on the TCM. Take it in and maybe they can do something for you.

Edit : looking up to see if I can find the 100k extension for 2015, will update.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to run to the dealership in Asheville Monday and find out, the one near where I live at is pretty sketchy of a dealership. They wanted to charge me 75$ to look at the car when it was at 53k a few months ago. The car already has tiny rust spots that bother me on me the rear quarter panel. Will try to polish them out when I visit parents Sunday. If anyone has a 15", I suggest they double check their exhaust when they get around 30,000 miles. My flex pipe pretty much split itself open, luckily it was a no questions asked warranty fixed at the dealership. Crossing my fingers they'll do the work. If not, I'll call ford customer care and see if they can do anything about it. I'd be pretty pissed if they pretty much told me I'm SOL knowing this is an issue. Family has owned nothing but Fords for the past 20 years ranging from Explorers, Expeditions, Excursions, Mustangs, Fusions, and my Focus.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Should have spent the $75 and argued about it later. At least you'd have the issue in the system as a complaint while under warranty even if they didn't do the full replacement at the time. Might have even gotten a clutch pack then.

Dealers are becoming BLEEPS about getting extra $ for warranty work. It IS OK to charge for extra diagnosis IF they've already looked at it and the customer asks for a deeper look. It is NOT OK to charge for diagnosis of an item repaired under warranty.

They cheat by charging everyone and never refunding when a warranty repair is done unless you REALLY complain afterwards.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, should've. It was a minor issue and it went away when I unhooked my battery while changing the oil. Now it's become an intermittent issue at this point and seems to go away and come back randomly.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Annoyance level is a good thing, some of the suggestions above may help.

Getting to a Dealer to at least TRY for help is a good thing, if only to register another unhappy person in the system. Contacting Customer Service to ask for help whether through a rep here or by phone is another good step, they'll need car & dealer info.. That works AFTER a dealer visit to get the issue in the system.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ford in good faith should warrant the dct for 10 years 150k for all no matter what year---whole trans clutch & tcm....come on it has issues step it up -- keep brand loyalty-- all late model 16's & 17's don't even have a dct --- what does that tell you? Ford reps where are you/ help him!!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
2016 Focus uses the DCT automatic, and reports say the 2017 will as well.

New Chassis forecast past then with no info. out at all yet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Riddle me this gang---if DCT is so bad which it can't be totally they wouldn't sell as many as they do....?? Did the reps stop coming on here ? HMMMM

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Some reps have popped back in, but as they rotated people and assignments we lost our last great rep here.

Ford IV team still pops in as much as ever, not the general rep for car issues.

DCT wise they all aren't bad enough to complain about or there would be a MUCH larger issue with owners by now. Much quieter in here as time passes, and it can't all be from people giving up.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ok show me where the Reps are? I haven't seen them? Also why isn't the DCT in the news like all the other recalls popping up? I guess because of the extended warranty so folks shut up or is the fix in finally?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ok show me where the Reps are? I haven't seen them? Also why isn't the DCT in the news like all the other recalls popping up? I guess because of the extended warranty so folks shut up or is the fix in finally?
There is no recall on the transmission. Maybe people are wiseing up to buying dct? maybe ppl's dealerships are getting them the newest rev transmission hardware and tcm? there are plenty of factors, and just because one rep was so awesome as to reach out to people who post bitchin and moaning (rightfully so) online, doesnt mean they arent replying to people who dm them.... just because you dont see something happen....doesnt mean it isnt happening

1 - 20 of 29 Posts