Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I try to sit and wait patiently for my 2015 to be built and delivered, which by the way has turned in to a 3 month long process, I've been comparing option packages between the Titanium and SE with Sport Package. In reviewing the details between the two cars, I was surprised to learn that the SE with Sport Package comes with Paddle Shifters, but is not offered on the Titanium model as an option. What? Are you kidding? So let me get this straight, paddler shifters are available on the lower trim level SE, but not the higher priced Titanium? Am I the only person who finds this to be absolutely ridiculous? I wonder about the possibility of adding these later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I grew up on Fords and I love their products, but this is the kind of nonsense that makes me want to go with another brand for my next vehicle. I get that Ti is the 'luxury' model of the Focus, but what comes equipped on lesser trims you should be getting on the higher trims.

Especially if you're paying $25k for a Focus.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yea I was annoyed by this too. Although I'm not planning on getting a 2015. The options of their trims don't make sense to me, on why they would limit options on higher trims.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think it's about the numbers. Most people who are buying a Titanium aren't thinking that they are buying a sports car. They are buying it for the features that kind of revolve around the "creature comfort" level. I think most people who want to buy a sportier car are going to get the 5 speed SE manual with the Sport Package.

It's entirely possible that those in the market for a Titanium + paddle shifters are so few that Ford doesn't think it's a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think it's about the numbers. Most people who are buying a Titanium aren't thinking that they are buying a sports car. They are buying it for the features that kind of revolve around the "creature comfort" level. I think most people who want to buy a sportier car are going to get the 5 speed SE manual with the Sport Package.

It's entirely possible that those in the market for a Titanium + paddle shifters are so few that Ford doesn't think it's a worthwhile investment.
Eh thats probably true. I'm not sure if the new titanium has a handling package anymore. but if it does, I feel like Titanium auto should get the paddle shifters. I think its more "luxurious" with paddles then the buttons on the stick.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

I have to agree as well... many cars have "sportier" options on the non-luxury trim and the Titanium is the luxury trim so this is no surprise or shock to me at all... The SE can be very loaded up though too, so it really isn't a big deal.

EDIT: I tried to build an SE with paddle shifters on the web site, i don't see how or where to get them... hmmm
Edit2: OK, you have to add the "Sport Package" to get it.
Edit3: AND, you can't get a lot of options with the Sport Package either! Not even leather seats! Now THAT is frustrating!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I have to agree as well... many cars have "sportier" options on the non-luxury trim and the Titanium is the luxury trim so this is no surprise or shock to me at all... The SE can be very loaded up though too, so it really isn't a big deal.

EDIT: I tried to build an SE with paddle shifters on the web site, i don't see how or where to get them... hmmm
Edit2: OK, you have to add the "Sport Package" to get it.
Yes, the paddle shifters are only available with the sport package which includes the body kit and rear disk brakes. The 201A package includes selectshift, but only on the transmission shifter it self.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think most people who want to buy a sportier car are going to get the 5 speed SE manual with the Sport Package.
Except that, strangely, you can't get the Sport Package with the 5MT. It's only available with the DCT. Because apparently people who drive stick-shifts don't like their cars to look sporty...

But don't criticize Ford too much--other brands are even worse. I hate the way Honda forces you to buy the highest trim level (EX-L) on the Fit and Civic if you want heated mirrors and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Honda apparently thinks those two items are higher-level luxury features than a sunroof and push-button start, which are standard on lower trims.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Except that, strangely, you can't get the Sport Package with the 5MT. It's only available with the DCT. Because apparently people who drive stick-shifts don't like their cars to look sporty...

But don't criticize Ford too much--other brands are even worse. I hate the way Honda forces you to buy the highest trim level (EX-L) on the Fit and Civic if you want heated mirrors and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Honda apparently thinks those two items are higher-level luxury features than a sunroof and push-button start, which are standard on lower trims.
Hold on a second... the "Sport Package" is specifically for the DCT, you can get the "201A Sport Appearance Package" for the 5-speed that give you all the DCT "Sport Package" and more, minus paddle shifters of course... I think Ford is actually doing a good thing by offering a more budget DCT offering paddle shifters but is kinda weird to not even allow leather seats or MFT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hold on a second... the "Sport Package" is specifically for the DCT, you can get the "201A Sport Appearance Package" for the 5-speed that give you all the DCT "Sport Package" and more, minus paddle shifters of course... I think Ford is actually doing a good thing by offering a more budget DCT offering paddle shifters but is kinda weird to not even allow leather seats or MFT.
I wish that were the case, but they are different. The 201A Appearance Package doesn't include the body kit that the Sport Package offers, i.e. the special front and rear spoilers and side skirts, which look fantastic. The two packages have different alloy wheels, too; the 201A wheels are decent, but the Sport Package wheels are much nicer, IMO. I don't get Ford's reasoning in offering both of them on the DCT but only the 201A on the 5MT. If I had the choice, I would definitely go for the Sport Package because it offers everything I want for a much cheaper price. But I would only buy the 5MT, so it's the 201A or nothing.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I wish that were the case, but they are different. The 201A Appearance Package doesn't include the body kit that the Sport Package offers, i.e. the special front and rear spoilers and side skirts, which look fantastic. The two packages have different alloy wheels, too; the 201A wheels are decent, but the Sport Package wheels are much nicer, IMO. I don't get Ford's reasoning in offering both of them on the DCT but only the 201A on the 5MT. If I had the choice, I would definitely go for the Sport Package because it offers everything I want for a much cheaper price. But I would only buy the 5MT, so it's the 201A or nothing.
Ah, ok, that's good to know.. I like my DCT for my commuter car, if I cared about a stick it would be in the ST... But I can see your frustration, I didn't know about the whole ground kit and different wheels.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On most brands that I'm familiar with, the Manufacturers who offer paddle shifters don't typically offer a select shift/gear shift option. They either offer one or the other. Ford is the only company that I know of that has paddle shifters on the lower trim model, but not on the higher end version. It should come standard on a Ti. What's the point of offering something different? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I wonder if they can be added later.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
When I drove a 15 se with sport package, the paddleshifters were very laggy. Maybe that's solved in an update or something, I don't know. Or maybe something was wrong with that specific car. Also, the 15 sport package loses the cool st1 seats but that factory lip kit looks amazing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
"...other brands are even worse. I hate the way Honda forces you to buy the highest trim level (EX-L)...to get xxxx"

This ^, Honda only offers color as options on their trim levels. Want leather with no headroom cutting sunroof? Nope. And if you want a dealer installed feature, it's "$Arm & Leg.00"

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I drove a 15 se with sport package, the paddleshifters were very laggy. Maybe that's solved in an update or something, I don't know. Or maybe something was wrong with that specific car. Also, the 15 sport package loses the cool st1 seats but that factory lip kit looks amazing.
Select-shift has always been super laggy on the Focuses. My 2011 will sometimes double up-shift. First from my upshift by pressing the button, and then again for the redlining caused by the delay in the first upshift. Unless they've made significant improvements to select-shift, paddles are pretty dumb imo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Select-shift has always been super laggy on the Focuses. My 2011 will sometimes double up-shift. First from my upshift by pressing the button, and then again for the redlining caused by the delay in the first upshift. Unless they've made significant improvements to select-shift, paddles are pretty dumb imo.
I've had the opposite experience with my PowerShift DCT - when I drop it into Sport mode & I'm using the toggle, I'm driving a manual. I'd love a paddle shift retrofit (although where you put it on the already-crowded 2012-14 wheel, I don't know).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts