Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 Titanium, of course with the DCT. Surprisingly the trans isn't the issue here. Do i have some stutter every now and then, sure but i've driven cars with a lot worse issues when i was younger (hot rods).

Changed my battery less than a year ago cause it was going dead. Had so much corrosion on it i couldn't see the terminal or the little module beside it. Changed the battery, cleaned everything up and with a couple of months it starts corroding again. This time around i can hit the start button and *click* everything goes out. Open the hood and turn the cable as hard as i can and everything connects again. Does this a couple of times and i take the car to a shop. They changed the battery cable, module and a connector that was burnt somehow. I still don't know why all that started happening to begin with.

Oh, after changing the battery my remote start wouldn't work right. It would come on and run for 20 seconds and then shut off.

So i get the car back and my remote start still doesn't work right. Call up there and they didn't reset the BMS. So need this done and i GUESS that'll get my remote start working again??

And ever since i got it back my wipers don't work. Found that out the hard way. Rear wiper works and both sprayers work. I changed the 20a JCase fuse and they still don't work. Would anything they did cause this? I really do not feel like buying and trying to change out the wiper motor. It doesn't look fun.

Anyway, just asking to see if anybody else has had this issue. I've taken it by the Ford dealership here in town and of course they say "we've never seen that before" and they never heard of resetting the battery after a change. Great, freaking rednecks.

My car only has 41k miles on it but from reading around it sounds like i might have some issues coming my way. Hope i'm wrong.

Thanks in advance. Sorry this ended up being so long.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The whole battery reset thing really seems to affect a lot of seemingly unrelated things like wipers. My wipers went out when my daughter was borrowing the car after I had a lot of corrosion on the cable/module and took it off to clean it. It seems like a really stupid and potentially dangerous design as you really need your wipers to see when it is raining hard. Like other things with this car, this system was not well thought out.
Hopefully the BMS reset will get everything working good for you again.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've taken it by the Ford dealership here in town and of course they say "we've never seen that before" and they never heard of resetting the battery after a change. Great, freaking rednecks.
That's ridiculous. If you have basic skills, you can do the reset yourself for less than they're probably going to charge. Search here. I bought a $30 OBDII cable and downloaded free s/w to reset after swapping my battery.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That's ridiculous. If you have basic skills, you can do the reset yourself for less than they're probably going to charge. Search here. I bought a $30 OBDII cable and downloaded free s/w to reset after swapping my battery.
Maybe he can educate them about "The Google". That's what my small town mechanic calls it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe he can educate them about "The Google". That's what my small town mechanic calls it.
Some things just aren't worth the effort.

I'll probably end up buying a cable and trying to do it myself. Which will end up in me getting pissed when i can't figure it out and taking it to the shop anyway

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We can help you out. Do you have a laptop? If so, that with Forscan l free) installed and this cable is all you need.

Is the bluetooth ones for iOS any good? I don't have a laptop. My parents do but it's old, but would be cheaper probably.

·
Registered
418 Posts
First off, I don't know if forscan runs under IOS so you need to check on that. Even if it does, get the wired one as some operations require it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
On there site, which one do i download? And where do i go from there? lol
Forscan lite for IOs is the free version if you are an apple user.
You need to purchase the cable or bluetooth odb2 plug(which is elm327 but i thought 2015+ needed els327, need to confirm) and hook it up to your car.
I would go with the cable for practical reasons.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you have access to a Windows laptop, the safe bet would be to get the latest windows version with the free 2-month extended license. There's a procedure for activating the extended license but I think the instructions are sent to you when you request the license.

Some of the service procedures may not be available in the other versions. Then when you run it, go to Service Procedures and search for BCM->Battery Monitoring System Reset. Run that function and it will reset the battery monitor and hopefully that will solve your problem. Crazy thing is that you should do this every time you install a new battery so it's not as simple as just removing the old one and throwing a new one in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the information, guys. It's just stupid that i even have to go through this because of a battery. I need to go back to c6 corvettes haha

·
Registered
179 Posts
I concur. It is kind of dumb that this needs to happen just to replace the battery.

When I have the DCT warranty work done, they told me that I had to replace the battery, but that they wouldn't do it under warranty, then quoted me about 2.5x the going rate for a battery. I told them that I could do it myself, thank you very much, not knowing about this.

I already had a bluetooth OBD2 device that happened to be compatable with ForScan, and a bluetooth capable laptop, so I dodged that. Stupid though.

I'm glad that it monitors the battery to shut stuff down when it needs to, but really...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Agreed. This is one of those things that they easily could have built into the car's information system so you could do it yourself or some kind of super secret combinations of pedal presses akin to the oil change reset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, bought the part and downloaded FORScan. I ran the test tried resetting the modules for the remote start and wipers. Still nothing. I get a DTC for the remote start with a P1956 code. That number could be wrong, I didn’t write it down.

Wipers wouldn’t even do the sweep to allow me to adjust them. Maybe the motor is borked.

Anyway, any advice or something that I’m not doing as to why I can’t get this crap fixed. Bought ready to set it on fire. Sorry if I left out some stuff, being rushed at the moment

1 - 17 of 17 Posts