Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am planning on running the 2015 autocross season in SCCA H-Street class in my 2002 Focus SVT. I am a couple year member of this forum, and I am on my 4th SVT right now.

I come from a mild racing background (stock cars, road racing, and autocross). Looking to do autocross again next year full time. I live in Central North Carolina and am within 2 hours of some great events all year long against National Champions across the board.

This is one of my previous autocross cars I ran - 1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo:

I ran it in Street Mod, DSP and STX while I had it. Was heavily tuned at one point but was heavy and not a lot of great autocross related aftermarket support was available.

In April of this year, I purchased my 4th Ford Focus SVT. I have owned two 3-door SVT's and two 5-door SVT's. This one is a 2002 two-door SVT, no EAP package, and factory sunroof included. Had 140k miles on it when I bought it and almost completely stock. Only aftermarket part right now is a short ram CAI that will be replaced with a stock SVT airbox and drop in K&N very soon.

Since then I have replaced the following:
- rebuilt most of the upper end of the motor to stock specs, adjusting valves, etc
- timing belt, water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, etc
- clutch slave cylinder
- new fan, and stock heat shield
- IRMC
- new starter and battery
- new front end links
- new stock focus svt struts

Right around 145k miles now, but getting very reliable and continuing to replace most worn OEM parts with new Motorcraft ones. I have a lot left to get it ready before the season starts in late February or early March.

I am going to use this forum as a way to record my progress, event results, get help with prep, etc. I will write a few posts this weeks discussing plans, mods, etc. Please subscribe for some great content and SVT autocross technical talk!

Thanks!
Jr.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheels

So, this post is all about wheels. H-Street rules state the following:
- Any wheel type as long as its the same width as stock and within +or- 1/4" (+or- 6.35mm) offset.
- Wheel diameter may be decreased or increased 1" from the stock diameter.

Thanks to JustinT, it looks like a good wheel size to run is going to be 16x7. Rota makes a Slipstream wheel in a 16x7 size thats 4x108 bolt pattern with an offset of 45mm. The wheel will have a slightly more aggressive offset by 4mm over the stock 49mm wheel and the 16" versus the stock 17" will help shred some weight over the stock wheels. The 16x7 Rota Slipstreams are only 14lbs! That will drop 7lbs of rotational mass with regards to the stock 21lb wheels! [race]

Tires will definitely be lighter in 16" sizes, but width, height, and brand are all yet to be picked out due to a switch to 200 tread-wear tires from 140 treadwear. I am a huge fan of the Hankook RS-3, and their SCCA Nationals Tour Contingency program, but ultimately the fastest tire will get my purchase.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that the SVT was defaulted into STF per the 2014 SCCA rules.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2014 Solo Rules Book 7 w cover and links.pdf

Also, why not replace struts with Konis?
All Ford Focus models except for the new Focus ST (Turbo) are classed in H-Street currently. The Focus ST (Turbo) is classed in G-Street and won the 2014 SCCA Solo Nationals in that class last week.

I plan on running re-valved Koni Yellows next year and brand new SVT springs. Just have not purchased them yet. [like]

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
All Ford Focus models except for the new Focus ST (Turbo) are classed in H-Street currently. The Focus ST (Turbo) is classed in G-Street and won the 2014 SCCA Solo Nationals in that class last week.

I plan on running re-valved Koni Yellows next year and brand new SVT springs. Just have not purchased them yet. [like]
If you don't mind, can you show me where you see the rules for any non-ST to run in HS? I'm interested

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't mind, can you show me where you see the rules for any non-ST to run in HS? I'm interested
Page 174 of Solo Rule Book. It has been pointed out that Focus ST goes to G-Street and all other Foci go to H-Street.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Should be a fun car. I've always thought a well-built, well-driven SVT could be competitive in HS. Especially with the +/- 1" wheel rule, and the newer (within the past few years) swaybar allowances.

Struts, wheels, tires, cat-back exhaust, swaybars, alignment... and a whole lot of testing. The swaybar testing could be interesting. You could try stock front bar with a big rear bar, which would likely work pretty well. However, I'd be really curious to see what happens if you leave the stock rear bar, and disconnect the front bar. It's something I had planned to try with my old HS Scion TC, but never got around to testing. The purpose is really just to help put power down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should be a fun car. I've always thought a well-built, well-driven SVT could be competitive in HS. Especially with the +/- 1" wheel rule, and the newer (within the past few years) swaybar allowances.

Struts, wheels, tires, cat-back exhaust, swaybars, alignment... and a whole lot of testing. The swaybar testing could be interesting. You could try stock front bar with a big rear bar, which would likely work pretty well. However, I'd be really curious to see what happens if you leave the stock rear bar, and disconnect the front bar. It's something I had planned to try with my old HS Scion TC, but never got around to testing. The purpose is really just to help put power down.
I hope so man. It definitely will not be a crazy expensive build thankfully. Just trying to beat those Mini's will be the goal. They are a little lighter, but less powerful. Most are running 15" wheels I think.

Do you think the SVT Koni Yellows will need to be re-valved for using street tires or no?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hope so man. It definitely will not be a crazy expensive build thankfully. Just trying to beat those Mini's will be the goal. They are a little lighter, but less powerful. Most are running 15" wheels I think.

Do you think the SVT Koni Yellows will need to be re-valved for using street tires or no?
Re-valving for more low-speed compression would help, but they're already pretty good with standard valving.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
H-Street Focus Clarification

Got a little more clarification for you. I reached out to Doug Gill, SCCA Solo Technical Manager, about the H-Street classification of the Focus SVT and all Ford Focus models except the new turbo Focus ST (2013-up). He sent me the following email:

"Hi,

There’s an error in the Focus listing. Instead of:
H Street (HS)
Ford
Focus (non-ST) (2013-14)

It should have read:
H Street (HS)
Ford
Focus (non-ST 2013-14)

The HS listing actually includes all Focus models except the 2013-14 ST (there was a 2005-07 Focus ST). There was a correction in the May 2014 Fastrack News (page 8).

Hope this helps."

Here is the insert from the Street section of the May Fastrack where it notes the clarification:

So the Focus SVT is indeed a legal H-Street car for 2015 and can hopefully be a contender against the Mini Coopers!

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up! Almost makes me want to race HS next year instead of STF...almost lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Justin,

I am interested in what you think about the +-7mm off set rule for 2015.

A stock Focus SVT has an offset of 49mm. The 16x7 Rota Slipstreams will have an offset of 45mm. Do you think that running a 3mm hubcentric spacer on the front only to get to 42mm could induce better rotation? What about running a 3mm spacer on all 4 corners to increase track width as opposed to just the front? Lots of thoughts . . . [dunno]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Justin,

I am interested in what you think about the +-7mm off set rule for 2015.

A stock Focus SVT has an offset of 49mm. The 16x7 Rota Slipstreams will have an offset of 45mm. Do you think that running a 3mm hubcentric spacer on the front only to get to 42mm could induce better rotation? What about running a 3mm spacer on all 4 corners to increase track width as opposed to just the front? Lots of thoughts . . . [dunno]
Like every modification, there are trade-offs/compromises with this. Increasing track width can improve stability, but... is it worth compromising the scrub radius and making the car wider? A wider car requires more turning than a narrow car. (Imagine wide vs narrow going through a slalom.) It also becomes more susceptible to catching cones. That said, it's unlikely you'll notice a difference with just a 3mm change. Never hurts to test it, though.

Here's a short explanation on the subject: http://www.miata.net/garage/offset.htm

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rain Wheel/Tire Setup

As many of you know, autocross is mostly a rain or shine type of racing event.

I plan on fitting a small class 1 trailer hitch to the SVT (legal per stock rules), and taking equipment/tools and my set of dry tires to the event on a small tire trailer for local and regional events.

Currently for DD use, I run the black EAP Ford Racing wheels and some basic all-season 215/45-17 tires. My plan is to keep this as my "winter" wheels/tires that I will run in between events and all winter long.

I will run a dedicated wheel and tire setup to the events that will double as a "rain" setup in case the weather looks questionable. Tire Rack recently came out with a great 17x7 wheel called the TRMotorsport FF10 that will be a great light weight wheel for some 17" rain tires.

*Specs*
Size: 17x7
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 5.629"
Bolt Pattern: 4-108
Rec. Tire Size: 215/45-17
Weight: 14.65lbs
Finish: Light Grey Painted
Price: $169 each

For rain tires, I chose to research what other people were doing and I came across this great article:
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/splish-splash/

At only $108 a tire, the Continental ExtremeContact DW will be a cost effective way to be prepared for all weather situations that can arise during an event. Might as well do it all the way if your gonna do it all [twothumbs]

·
Registered
175 Posts
At only $108 a tire, the Continental ExtremeContact DW will be a cost effective way to be prepared for all weather situations that can arise during an event. Might as well do it all the way if your gonna do it all [twothumbs]
The Conti DW is a great rain tire, but there's a better one out now. (That article is pretty old.) The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the new rain tire to have for street-tire classes. Quite a bit more $$$ though. Again, you might want to wait to see what comes out in the next 6 months.

I really like those wheels!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Conti DW is a great rain tire, but there's a better one out now. (That article is pretty old.) The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the new rain tire to have for street-tire classes. Quite a bit more $$$ though. Again, you might want to wait to see what comes out in the next 6 months.

I really like those wheels!
Good point! I am guessing that with the raise to 200TW tires in Street Class that some companies should come out with some good stuff this spring.

My 1st event will be in late February, looks like I am going to stock up on wheels and do all the prep except for tires and try and pick those up last.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rota Slipstream Problems

So, ran into a little issue with getting a new set of 16x7 Rota Slipstreams today . . .

Dealing directly with Rota Wheels it looks like they no longer make a wheel for us in ET45, only an ET40 now. Unfortunately that will not work with the Solo Street rules. 2015 rules say that the wheel needs to be + or - 7mm from the stock offset. The Focus SVT has a stock offset of 49mm, so legal wheel offsets can range from 42-56mm only.

I am going to try to source a set of used ones I guess. If anyone has a lead on a set, please let me know. Color does not matter. Looking for 16x7 4x108 ET45 with a hub bore of 63.3mm.

[rant]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Parts Begin to Arrive

Got some parts in the mail for installation this weekend:
- CFM 8mm Spark Plug Wires
- Motorcraft SP463 Spark Plugs
- SVT Stock Airbox & Snorkel w/ K&N Drop-In Filter

Still working on finding a set of used 16x7 4x108 ET45 Rota Grids! Those are some hard to locate wheels. Backup will probably be a set of Sparco 16x7 ET42 wheels. They are a little heavier than the Rota, but cheap and readily available.

Currently sourcing a DrawTite trailer for a ZX3. Modifying the rear diffuser to fit the hitch is street class legal and will only add 20lbs to car weight (I am pretty light myself anyway). This will allow me to bring a tire trailer to events with tent, tarp, chair, tools, and race wheels separate. I have carried equipment to events in a car before, and it is a real pain. Will be nice to load a small trailer the week of the event, and then just hook it up and go race day.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Dealing directly with Rota Wheels it looks like they no longer make a wheel for us in ET45, only an ET40 now. Unfortunately that will not work with the Solo Street rules. 2015 rules say that the wheel needs to be + or - 7mm from the stock offset. The Focus SVT has a stock offset of 49mm, so legal wheel offsets can range from 42-56mm only.

[rant]
you could always machine 2mm off the back of the 40 offset wheels.

o know Zewerr did that on a set of OZ's to make them legal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts