Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus S
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Noticed my new to me, 2015 Ford Focus S (Manual transmission) is averaging 10.6L/100km. I don't feel like this is very good? Since buying it I have done an oil change, new air filter, new spark plugs. Anything else I could be looking at? No CEL's on and car drives nice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
For us American types, that would equal roughly 22 MPG. That's not exactly great, but if you're sitting in stop-and-go traffic, crawling at low speeds, and having to constantly (dis)engage the clutch, I can see that.

If it's cruising around at something like 40km/hr and low RPM, that's not very good, and most likely I'd suspect carbon deposits coking up the intake valve port. Mine had really bad ones by 45k miles, getting low economy like you described, and rough running, so I took off the intake manifold and soda-blasted the valves. It's about time to do them again.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do the non-ST’s have problems with failing purge valves like the ST’s have?

If so, your gas tank may be caving in and unable to hold as much gas.

I’d see if your car has the crappy purge valve problem like the ST’s. If so, crawl under the car and see if your tank is deforming.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,519 Posts
22mpg is pretty bad and 26mpg highway is definitely not right. You should get at least 25mpg even in traffic with a manual. Are you in traffic for most of your driving? How are you computing the mileage? The computer will only give an accurate average over time with a decent amount of miles logged. You also have to reset that computer every now and then to keep it accurate.
I think you might have some kind of problem with the engine not running well. Have you noticed that it's low on power or running rough? If so, there's likely trouble code(s) being registered. Scan it to find out what it/they are. Any auto parts store does scanning for free.
Or like beretta96 said if you're calculating the mileage off of a caved in gas tank it won't give you an accurate #. If you calculate your actual miles driven since your last fill up by how much actual gas you pump in your car on the next fill up like before mileage computers were common you'll get an exact MPG calculation. Just reset the trip on the mileage computer's screen and make sure you do complete fills. If you've never had the purge valve recall done then go on the Ford owner's website to check for open recalls.
Do the non-ST’s have problems with failing purge valves like the ST’s have?

If so, your gas tank may be caving in and unable to hold as much gas.

I’d see if your car has the crappy purge valve problem like the ST’s. If so, crawl under the car and see if your tank is deforming.
The purge valve recall affected almost all 2012-18 2.0L Focuses either turbo or NA. The ST models actually only made up a small fraction of the total amount of Focuses because there were so few made in comparison to the regular NA models but the percentage of affected cars was basically the same between the two.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I drive my 2015 manual transmission spirited and the worst I get is 25mpg. If all city driving it gets around 25mpg also. On the highway it goes up quickly to 31 mpg and above. If you have a light touch on the highway(keeping speed below 65mph) it should get above 35.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For us American types, that would equal roughly 22 MPG. That's not exactly great, but if you're sitting in stop-and-go traffic, crawling at low speeds, and having to constantly (dis)engage the clutch, I can see that.

If it's cruising around at something like 40km/hr and low RPM, that's not very good, and most likely I'd suspect carbon deposits coking up the intake valve port. Mine had really bad ones by 45k miles, getting low economy like you described, and rough running, so I took off the intake manifold and soda-blasted the valves. It's about time to do them again.
Did you replace the intake gaskets or were you able to reuse them. If you used new gaskets, do you happen to know the part number. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2012 SE model, automatic, still gets 40 MG on flat highways and 34 combination city-highway, But I don't sit in stop-and-go traffic very often. I change my air filter every two years and keep the tires at 35 PSI for 88,000 miles
This double-clutch automatic transmission was a dud from the start but I figured out how to drive it with no clutch slipping. Plus, it came as an economy car. If you want to drive fast and quick, get a Mustang! Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts