Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2015 Ford Focus Electric will get a major price cut of $6,000, bringing the suggested retail price to $29,995--more in line with the best-selling Nissan Leaf. The battery-electric Focus is now in its fourth model year, and only about 4,000 have been sold since it first went on sale in December 2011. That's roughly one-fifteenth the number of Nissan Leaf electric cars that have been sold.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmmmm

I'm thinking that "Big Oil" is making sure we do not know about this car...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Looks like costs have gone down & they actually want to sell more than a token number now.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
The battery tech in the Focus Electric is better than the Leaf. You get better MPGe, more power, and a battery that won't lose it's capacity. The difference is that the FE has a liquid cooled battery, and that means that it isn't affected by ambient temp as much as the Leaf's air cooled battery. People in arid states complained because the Leaf was losing as much as 20% capacity in less than a year.

What is making the FE less popular than the Leaf is the lack of storage room. The FE and the CMax Energi have absolutely no trunk room. You've got more storage behind the seat of a standard cab 95 Ranger. That is the sacrifice Ford is asking potential purchasers to make, and why Ford has now decided to design a specific platform for hybrid and electric vehicles.

I personally wish there was a way to incorporate hydraulic hybrid assist along with electric assist in a vehicle. That would be the bomb. HHV's can't maintain a steady speed for long, but capture 100% of braking energy. Electrics work better at maintaining steady speeds, but use up charge and create power robbing heat on acceleration. It's the perfect marriage- but it would require tech that doesn't exist in a form that people looking at passenger vehicles would appreciate.

I am on the fence at the moment. Either purchase a used CMax Energi for the wife, and take the CMax--- or, wait until Ford brings out their dedicated platform. That is assuming that Ford allows the new hybrid to be a Ford and not follow the "Prius Faithful" complainers by making the car into a three toed sloth on 2 toes. I personally don't care that my CMax only gets 42-44 mpg on the highway- I love the acceleration, and wouldn't give that up for 5 more mpg. It would be nice if it had a larger battery, but I think we'll all have to wait for lithium-air chemistry before we see the dawn of the electric car.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
We have a C-Max Energi. There is very little room in the back but it's still enough to get a full size stroller and a weeks worth of groceries in it. The gas milage is outstanding right now it's at 75 MPG and climbing on the computer read out. Only the 4th tank of gas since we got it 3 months ago and the first 2 were in the first 2 weeks because I was commuting 80 miles a day in it until I got my Focus.

Oh and it's quicker than the focus despite its weight. The torque from the electric motor is pretty awesome. Plus the ICE isn't gutless at all either. It just sounds like it lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 2015 Ford Focus Electric will get a major price cut of $6,000, bringing the suggested retail price to $29,995--more in line with the best-selling Nissan Leaf. The battery-electric Focus is now in its fourth model year, and only about 4,000 have been sold since it first went on sale in December 2011. That's roughly one-fifteenth the number of Nissan Leaf electric cars that have been sold.

Has anyone taken delivery of a 2015 Focus Electric? I have been searching dealers in my area, but have yet to see any on lots. Are they build to order only?

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Oh and it's quicker than the focus despite its weight.

Quicker than the Focus? I'd like to see proof of that especially when it weighs over 700 more pounds and a top speed of 80mph. I was seeing 1/4 mile times about 2 secs slower than a standard Focus.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Quicker than the Focus? I'd like to see proof of that especially when it weighs over 700 more pounds and a top speed of 80mph. I was seeing 1/4 mile times about 2 secs slower than a standard Focus.
It tops out at about 120mph actually (80mph is on the battery only.) As for the quickness it's probably sower over the 1/4 mile but from light to light with the torque from the electric motor I've had people in 3 series BMWs get frustrated that I'm pulling away from them. It jumps off the line quick enough to give you a push back in your seat too. I've been driving the thing like a grandma recently though. 120mpg is hard to beat.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
0-60 times were over two seconds apart also;I'll have to hit my neighbor up for a drag race. lol

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Do they have the Energi or the Hybrid? It sure seems quicker off the line. It's hard to get the focus to come close to that kind of acceleration without a really solid launch and some tire spin. I'll get one of those 0-60 aps and test it out. Stay tuned! lol

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I was seeing the car rags getting around 8 secs to 60 and about a 17.5 in the 1/4 while the 5 speed Focus does it in mid 7s and high 15s respectively.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm thinking because the combined (gas/electric motors) power specs on the C-Max Energi is around 195HP but it only has one gear (CTV) the quickness I'm feeling is the initial jump off the line up to about 40MPH. It's very smooth acceleration and it gives you a little shove back in your seat. After that it seems to level off and despite accelerating still it does not feel as quick.

I drove it to get pizza last night and there was a fair amount of traffic but I was able to test it off the line a couple times. It's definitely better at climbing the huge hill on the way to my daughter's pre-school too. All that torque all the way through the power band is nice to have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone taken delivery of a 2015 Focus Electric? I have been searching dealers in my area, but have yet to see any on lots. Are they build to order only?
Unless you're in one of the communist CARB states they are pretty much build to order. I live in Ohio and I had to go as far as Wisconsin to find a dealer willing to sell me one a decent price. I tried a few dealers in the Detroit area and most said they couldn't get one and the ones that were willing to sell one were unrealistic on price. I almost bought a fugly nissan Leaf. Their dealers wanted to sell EV's. Oh yeah I almost forgot I ordered in July and took delivery in November.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts