Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I bought a 2015 Focus Zetec 1.5 TDCi six weeks ago and have the following issue. When inspecting car prior to purchase, I noticed battery was 11.8v but car starting and driving very well with no electrical issues other than auto stop/start would only occasionally work. I thought I’d just buy a new battery as I was getting car for a good price anyway.

So, I got a battery of same spec and it was 12.6 before I installed it and 12.4 as reported by the Torque OBD app. When driving, the voltage stays within a range of 12.0 – 12.3 all the time and rises to 13.5 when deaccelerating. I know batteries should be around 14.2 when driving so it was suggested the alternator was bad and it did look very old.

So, I put new alternator in, but the voltage issues remain the same and no electrical related issues other than auto start/stop not working. After I installed new alternator, I now have a ‘engine service now’ notification appears every time when starting the car. No codes on my basic OBD scan tool and none reported by the garage’s high spec scan tool. Car is driving fine and not in limp mode but it’s driving me nuts not knowing what it is.

A mechanic suggested that the low voltage might be normal for Ford cars and their trickle charge system, but he couldn’t confirm if that was the case. Another thing I noticed is the dashboard auto stop/start icon is missing since installing new alternator, but icon was there beforehand. Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now have major problem: engine will only intermittently turn over, sometimes not at all.
Have to crank it 4-5 times and have to press accelerator otherwise it won't start and the 'engine service now' notice comes up before attempting to start car. Still no OBD codes or dash lights so no clue what it is

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
563 Posts
Glad you got it fixed and it's good that you posted the repaired problem so that everyone else knows what to look for with a similar issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts