Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
So those hoping for great economy from the new 3 cylinder engine may be disappointed. Lots of worthwhile improvements, but perhaps adding an extra gear to the manual gearbox paired to the the 2 litre engine would give better real world gas mileage. Not sure about that new front - looks pinched in, somehow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So those hoping for great economy from the new 3 cylinder engine may be disappointed.
I think it wasn't much of a surprise since the Focus is some 300 pounds heavier than a Fiesta.

Perhaps they should have put the 2015 Mondeo's 138hp 1.0 EcoBoost.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Oh my, the Focus 1.0L EcoBoost MPG decided by a car reviewers 1st drive in a pre-production vehicle.
If viewers opinion of a cars MPG is controlled by a car reviewers test drive, then I find that rather ignorant.
If MPG's of a certain car and engine combo is a great interest then would it not be better to search out real world owners of said car to inquire what the real MPG's they observe.
Or is it the case Black stick your interest in Focus 1.0 EcoBoost MPG stats are not really something you are truly interested in knowing, because you comment indicating buyer beware of the Focus and 1.0 EcoBoost suspect MPG stats is IMO very premature and I would go so far and say is ignorant.

Unless said car reviewers test drive is specifically to determine MPG of a certain vehicle and engine combo, I would take their comments with a large shaker full of salt on their observed MPG whilst canyon carving, 0-60 sprints etc etc, in other driving the piss out of the test car. Their MPG's comments are of little use for the average consumer.

Black stick if you had of written "So those that drive in the same fashion and same geographical terrain as the autoexpress reviewers & hoping for great economy from the new 3 cylinder engine may be disappointed" would have some merit.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
IMO the new focus has lost it's sportiness. It is now sadly just a family car that looks very much like all the other cars out there. I will test drive when it hits the dealers here, but I already have decided that it is not the car for this focus fanatic.

·
Registered
340 Posts
IMO the new focus has lost it's sportiness. It is now sadly just a family car that looks very much like all the other cars out there. I will test drive when it hits the dealers here, but I already have decided that it is not the car for this focus fanatic.

I do agree it just seems to blend in but I'm reserving final judgment till I see the car with all available options/packages. If that grill comes in black with some black wheels and a body kit it won't be too bad. I just don't like the square fogs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It'll be interesting what the 6th gear and better Cd over the Fiesta will do with highway MPG. The 1.0 Fiesta guys are getting some pretty good numbers.

Ford claims best in class fuel economy, but with the Fiesta at 43 MPG highway and the Cruze Eco at 42 MPG highway, I'm not expecting any amazing EPA highway figures from the 1.0 Focus. Maybe the city and combined will tell a different story though over the Cruze Eco?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Maybe I'm just biased but the current MK3 looks better. Those new taillights are poop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the styling of the 2015 Focus still has some sportiness in it, it's just more refined now.

It helps that a huge percentage of the current pre-facelift model's faux grill surfaces were replaced by cleaner body-colored surfaces.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh my, the Focus 1.0L EcoBoost MPG decided by a car reviewers 1st drive in a pre-production vehicle.
If viewers opinion of a cars MPG is controlled by a car reviewers test drive, then I find that rather ignorant.
If MPG's of a certain car and engine combo is a great interest then would it not be better to search out real world owners of said car to inquire what the real MPG's they observe.
Or is it the case Black stick your interest in Focus 1.0 EcoBoost MPG stats are not really something you are truly interested in knowing, because you comment indicating buyer beware of the Focus and 1.0 EcoBoost suspect MPG stats is IMO very premature and I would go so far and say is ignorant.

Unless said car reviewers test drive is specifically to determine MPG of a certain vehicle and engine combo, I would take their comments with a large shaker full of salt on their observed MPG whilst canyon carving, 0-60 sprints etc etc, in other driving the piss out of the test car. Their MPG's comments are of little use for the average consumer.

Black stick if you had of written "So those that drive in the same fashion and same geographical terrain as the autoexpress reviewers & hoping for great economy from the new 3 cylinder engine may be disappointed" would have some merit.
Interesting response.
I count myself as one of those hoping the 3 cylinder will be a good replacement for my current 5-speed manual MK3 Focus. Having watched this video I also looked at the few 2013 & 2014 European Focuses with the 3 cylinder engine listed in Fuelly.com, none of which seem to do much better mileage than the North American 4 cylinder cars.
With a 200 mile daily commute at steady highway speeds, I will certainly be test driving the new engine/gearbox. If it comes near to Ford's claimed fuel economy for this European model I will probably buy one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts