Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The 1.0L is really not bad in the focus. The gearing of first gear sucks. But after that, it zips along. It's not fast. But so far averaging 38mpg (per the computer on the car, haven't fueled up in the two weeks I have owned it). I have some mixed driving. But highest speed I drive on my commute is like 60mph.
In which way does 1st gear suck?

I really, REALLY want to get one of these with the 1.0/6 speed. My 2011 always feels like I am starting out in 2nd gear when I am not. If the 1st gear of the 6 speed makes you shift before you are through an intersection, that's perfect for what I want.

Glad to see the 1.0L is getting good mileage too. Is there any long term reliability data for them? I can't seem to find anything online.

Also ... has anyone tried towing with one?

·
Registered
20 Posts
In which way does 1st gear suck?

I really, REALLY want to get one of these with the 1.0/6 speed. My 2011 always feels like I am starting out in 2nd gear when I am not. If the 1st gear of the 6 speed makes you shift before you are through an intersection, that's perfect for what I want.

Ok so the only way I can describe it is, it feels like you rev the engine and get no where. I am trying to think of how to describe it. I shift at 3500rpm and it drops down to like 2000 rpm into second I believe. But I am always feeling like ok get into second so I can move forward. I feel like any revving beyond 4000 rpm is just an absolute waste.

My vehicle has 860 miles on it so far. Last tank I got 32.89. Starting to feel comfortable revving it. So that's probably taking its toll.

This engine is only a couple of years old. So I am not sure about reliability.

I would not tow with it. It's already feels stressed by the weight of the focus. Not crazy but you can tell it's working to move the car.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ok so the only way I can describe it is, it feels like you rev the engine and get no where. I am trying to think of how to describe it. I shift at 3500rpm and it drops down to like 2000 rpm into second I believe. But I am always feeling like ok get into second so I can move forward. I feel like any revving beyond 4000 rpm is just an absolute waste.
Good! So it has a proper granny gear and one doesn't have to destroy the clutch to get it moving.

What is cruising RPM at 70 in 6th gear? Just curious.

I would not tow with it. It's already feels stressed by the weight of the focus. Not crazy but you can tell it's working to move the car.
I don't go too heavy towing, but I have an 840 pound popup that my 2L 2011 Tows great. It will limit my next car choice.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The cylinder deactivation surprised me at first, but I'm used to it now. The computer says I'm at ~36mpg, which is great compared to the Bullitt I had, LOL!

Only ~600 miles on it so far, but not bad. Could use a little more hp, IMHO.

-Colbey
I think you're speaking about the auto start/stop feature. Cylinder deactivation is while the car is at cruise/light load one or more cylinders stops running to improve mpg. It's a crazy idea for a 1.0 3 cylinder, but it looks like Ford is looking into it.

Yes the car is a little under powered, but enough to keep up with traffic. That auto will be fun to test when it comes out. Will be even more under powered I imagine. But should sell more cars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good! So it has a proper granny gear and one doesn't have to destroy the clutch to get it moving.

What is cruising RPM at 70 in 6th gear? Just curious.
70 MPH in 6th gear is 2,550 RPM
65 MPH in 6th gear is 2,300 RPM
60 MPH in 6th gear is 2,100 RPM

Those are +/- about 100 RPM

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you're speaking about the auto start/stop feature. Cylinder deactivation is while the car is at cruise/light load one or more cylinders stops running to improve mpg. It's a crazy idea for a 1.0 3 cylinder, but it looks like Ford is looking into it.

Yes the car is a little under powered, but enough to keep up with traffic. That auto will be fun to test when it comes out. Will be even more under powered I imagine. But should sell more cars.

You are correct. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been running 92 octane and practicing more short-shifting and coasting on my daily city commute and I believe it's yielding improved mpg. Before 31-32 mpg (calculated at the pump); last tank using this new strategy got me 35 mpg.

Target speed 30 mph: 1-2-4 short-shift
Target speed 40 mph: 1-2-3-5 short-shift

Going easy on the short-shift to preserve the clutch, and I won't do it uphill or if I need heavy acceleration.

Coasting in neutral drops rpms to idle while still in motion and it works best when you know a traffic stop is approaching. I don't know if less fuel is truly consumed over decelerating in gear, but I'd like to believe that I'm maximizing use of the car's inertia when coasting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Coasting in neutral drops rpms to idle while still in motion and it works best when you know a traffic stop is approaching. I don't know if less fuel is truly consumed over decelerating in gear, but I'd like to believe that I'm maximizing use of the car's inertia when coasting.
More fuel is used when coasting in neutral than in gear. So, if you are sure you'll be stopping and don't need the momentum then there may be an advantage to leaving it in gear until the revs approach idle speeds. That said, this car coasts so well in gear that it is easy to forget to put it in neutral. Oops.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I really do think the 1.0 Ecoboost is just such a lovely engine, drove it once in Europe. An engine cannot be judged JUST by outright pace and a digit given to a 0-100km/h time. It's all about the harmony between all of its different attributes. The 1.0 Ecoboost revs cleanly, has just as much torque as the old 2.0 GDI available from just north of idle but most importantly it always feels alive and responsive whilst also being frugal and quiet when you want it too. Having a sixth gear helps and the B6 gearbox is a standout. Even though it mightn't have effectively that much power, it's a true gem. Oh and another little thing that it does, it liberates quite a lot of weight right over the front axle, making the Focus' trademark steering even more responsive, whilst contributing to less understeer upon turn-in. It really is a winner from what I gather, but the Mk.3 could still do with about 100kg of weight loss... As good as the engine is, its a bit hampered by the high kerb weight... But overall its a cracking combo, only second to the fantastic 1.5 Ecoboost.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The 1.0 EcoBoost Focus is as fast 0-60 mph as half the cars I encounter on the road, and in the city nearly all of us are forced to accelerate at the same rate anyway. It is an urban vehicle, bred from the patterns and necessities of Euro commuting. If you're looking for an Interstate on-ramp racer, it may not be for you.

From what my research shows, it just might beat a 1953 Corvette 0-60 mph. For real. [headbang]

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
That original Corvette with a stright six and either a 3-spd manual or 2-spd automatic was more for looks/2 pass. convertible than performance.

Need a better comparison!

Bet it's still faster than anything you'd get in a similar car back in the 70's without needing to look.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Even if it's not the quickest thing, the transmission is geared better and the engine has more low end torque than the 2.0L NA / 5 speed combo that we get in the US. I think it's driveability in the city has to be significantly higher than the 2.0LNA / 5 speed.

I wish I could find one locally (or even a Fiesta) to test drive :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Even if it's not the quickest thing, the transmission is geared better and the engine has more low end torque than the 2.0L NA / 5 speed combo that we get in the US. I think it's driveability in the city has to be significantly higher than the 2.0LNA / 5 speed.

I wish I could find one locally (or even a Fiesta) to test drive :(
there was none on the island..i had to go to jersey to get mine

·
Registered
54 Posts
New personal best MPG with my Focus 1.0. 51.0 MPG indicated 49.1 MPG actual. Done in 87 octane and 140 of these miles at 70 MPH.
Nice... Mine has been slowly creeping up towards the mid-30s. Using AC a bit less frequently; also had first oil change with Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic. Once I can stop using the AC, I think I can average 35. Still stuck in suburbia, though, with only short bursts of highway at relatively high speeds.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts