Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(SORRY IF THIS IS ALREADY A THREAD)

I have a 2015 ford focus se sedan. Since i hit about 10,000 miles on the car I’ve been having terrible problems with the transmission. The shuddering, jerking, bucking and acceleration power loss is unbelievable. When i have my foot on the gas pedal the car will go no where and than all of a sudden it will buck and launch me like I’m in a rocket. I loved the car the way it looks the, the way it handles up until now I’ve had it at the dealer 2 times now the first time they replaced the TCM saying the code popped up and that was the problem that same day I picked up the car and as i was leaving the lot there where no signs of repair. Three days later I took the car back and they kept it for three days trying to “duplicate the problem”. I completely understand this but the problem is intermittent and it could be fine for 3 days and than it happen for 3 days in a row you just never know. Anyway they said they could not find the problem driving the car for a total of 50 miles and nothing happened. i just got the car back yesterday and it's the same thing. This car has shot me out into intersections and than i lost acceleration power and could not move, its almost gotten me into multiple car accidents I’m honestly scared to drive this car as i do not know when or what will happen next. I did not research the car before i bought it (STUPID ME) the dealer also did not tell me of the type of the transmission in the car. When i went to the dealer the first time to get it serviced when i picked up the car they gave me a 2 page paper on the top it read “power-shift 6 speed operating characteristics” this page was dated 2012! why was i not told about this so called manual transmission thats is electronically controlled until i took it in to get serviced for these problems and why was i not given that paper the I first signed the paper for the car i feel like I’ve been scammed.
The service department of my dealer ship are doing nothing wrong no complaints about them I’m just really pissed and unsatisfied with the whole situation.

·
Registered
466 Posts

I have a 2015 ford focus se sedan. Since i hit about 10,000 miles on the car I’ve been having terrible problems with the transmission. The shuddering, jerking, bucking and acceleration power loss is unbelievable. When i have my foot on the gas pedal the car will go no where and than all of a sudden it will buck and launch me like I’m in a rocket. I loved the car the way it looks the, the way it handles up until now I’ve had it at the dealer 2 times now the first time they replaced the TCM saying the code popped up and that was the problem that same day I picked up the car and as i was leaving the lot there where no signs of repair. Three days later I took the car back and they kept it for three days trying to “duplicate the problem”. I completely understand this but the problem is intermittent and it could be fine for 3 days and than it happen for 3 days in a row you just never know. Anyway they said they could not find the problem driving the car for a total of 50 miles and nothing happened. i just got the car back yesterday and it's the same thing. This car has shot me out into intersections and than i lost acceleration power and could not move, its almost gotten me into multiple car accidents I’m honestly scared to drive this car as i do not know when or what will happen next. I did not research the car before i bought it (STUPID ME) the dealer also did not tell me of the type of the transmission in the car. When i went to the dealer the first time to get it serviced when i picked up the car they gave me a 2 page paper on the top it read “power-shift 6 speed operating characteristics” this page was dated 2012! why was i not told about this so called manual transmission thats is electronically controlled until i took it in to get serviced for these problems and why was i not given that paper the I first signed the paper for the car i feel like I’ve been scammed.
The service department of my dealer ship are doing nothing wrong no complaints about them I’m just really pissed and unsatisfied with the whole situation.

you were not scammed.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a 2015 and I honest can say that it's mostly user action and to not treat it like an automatic transmission. I've had all those symptoms before and I can 100% say that I was at fault for them. I would creep in traffic, I didn't commit to throttle, I didn't monitor revs and sometimes got carried away. I since then learned to be committed to any throttle usage and stop creeping so much. Whenever it was very hot outside I made sure to take it easy as the transmission has no cooling system. Yet I've never ever been put in an unsafe situation with this transmission. The worst I've gotten was a power loss due to my actions with the throttle which completely confused the TCM, I let off the throttle and brought it to neutral and drive again and that was the end of a problem that never happened again. Shudder I get once In a while during stupid hot days and I expect that from a DCT. It slips the clutch to mimic creeping from a traditional automatic.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have exact same problem , did you find a cure or what was causing it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 and I honest can say that it's mostly user action and to not treat it like an automatic transmission. I've had all those symptoms before and I can 100% say that I was at fault for them. I would creep in traffic, I didn't commit to throttle, I didn't monitor revs and sometimes got carried away. I since then learned to be committed to any throttle usage and stop creeping so much. Whenever it was very hot outside I made sure to take it easy as the transmission has no cooling system. Yet I've never ever been put in an unsafe situation with this transmission. The worst I've gotten was a power loss due to my actions with the throttle which completely confused the TCM, I let off the throttle and brought it to neutral and drive again and that was the end of a problem that never happened again. Shudder I get once In a while during stupid hot days and I expect that from a DCT. It slips the clutch to mimic creeping from a traditional automatic.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
LOL.
I have exact same problem , did you find a cure or what was causing it?
Its the shit tranny Ford put in. The idiots that defend this by saying you weren't scammed or you cant treat it like a automatic are just fans boys. Ford clearly sold these cars with a defective tranny. Look how many people have issues with them. Mine just started today. Went into a grocery store. 45min later, I had to push my Focus out of the parking due to losing reverse, car has 84k miles and the only issue before this was a occasional shudder.... The tire pressure warnings even went off even though no air left any tire and upon checking them they were fine. Car wouldn't go into "S" gear selector either. Just "D" and slips out of 2nd gear into 3rd. It's directly related to the crappy tranny system they put in. The fact you can't easily check the fluid should have told custy to run. I hope Ford goes bankrupt. Shame on them. What a crap car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LOL.

Its the shit tranny Ford put in. The idiots that defend this by saying you weren't scammed or you cant treat it like a automatic are just fans boys. Ford clearly sold these cars with a defective tranny. Look how many people have issues with them. Mine just started today. Went into a grocery store. 45min later, I had to push my Focus out of the parking due to losing reverse, car has 84k miles and the only issue before this was a occasional shudder.... The tire pressure warnings even went off even though no air left any tire and upon checking them they were fine. Car wouldn't go into "S" gear selector either. Just "D" and slips out of 2nd gear into 3rd. It's directly related to the crappy tranny system they put in. The fact you can't easily check the fluid should have told custy to run. I hope Ford goes bankrupt. Shame on them. What a crap car.
TLDR Warning;

Yes the MK3 with its infamous DCT transmission sold by ford is defective by design but No, we’re not fanboy defending it.

I have a 2013 that has only done 55K km that just had a TCM replacement done last week. The DCT is not meant to be driven like an automatic even though it is classified as one.

The DCT is actually a manual transmission with dual clutches and dual actuators (shift forks) that is controlled by the TCM. So in a way you are driving a manual transmission car that is automated.

My breakdown experience was the car couldn’t start and had parking sensor/park assist alarms (Early TCM software revisions will not pop out any alarms indicating trans failure). Few mins later the car started and drove normally up to a point where it went into neutral suddenly while driving, bogged and jerked between gear shifts (which meant either one of the clutches or shift fork weren’t working).

Fast forward, had the car towed to Ford and scheduled for a TCM replacement under warranty (covered under 10 years or 240k km extended TCM warranty, My country does not have any lemon laws). AFAIK the TCM is known to have an issue on the solders of its board and will fail in due time.

What I’m trying to point out is that changing your driving habits and don't drive the MK3 like a regular slush box. What I practiced is coasting into neutral when going to stops, changing to neutral at stops, no creeping forward in traffic, defined throttle input when moving forward and shifting down manually with the S mode. These cars do not handle kick downs of WOT happily as the TCM doesn’t understand the intentions of the driver when cruising around.

The 7-speed Dry clutch DSG from VW also has similar issues to our DCT. On a VW forum i read before, someone took logs of the clutch engagement at stops when car was still in D. The clutch did not fully disengage when the car was at a complete stop with the brakes fully pressed. Makes you wonder if our DCT does the same thing.

Hope my long rant could at least be somewhat informative. What I’m sure on the MK3 is that as long as the warranty hasn’t ended I’m keeping the car and selling it off immediately when it ends. Its a decent car but reliability is a concern.

Peace.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The problem is he lumped all the problems into one. There are different points of fault with this transmission. It's isn't just one thing and yes that means it's not a great transmission.

1. The TCM issues. This is losing gears, harsh shifts/skips, going into neutral, etc. The TCM is an electronic brain bolted to the side of the transmission that controls it. These had multiple issues and were revised many times by Ford. They became better with each revision and I haven't seen failures with the 17s and 18s but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

2. Shuddering of the clutch assemblies. As miles build up and stop and go traffic occurs there becomes issues with the clutch surfaces grabbing and releasing rapidly. This causes the shudder sensation you feel. I've ran my 2016 SE with both the stock software and Tom's tune and the stock software runs the transmission issues 100 times worse. Don't believe me? If you bought the tune for a shuddering focus the difference would be night and day between stock and tune. I know because I've ran the car on both and with worn clutches and new. A tune may be no guarantee of a fix but I'm not lying when I say all of this and I would never drive this car stock ever again. I was told by a Ford service tech that Ford programs extra slip into the software to make the launch shifts "more comfortable". The only way to do so is to add slip. It's a manual trans in mechanical makeup. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure these things out.

These are the 2 biggest issues with this transmission. There's a small percentage that have had issues with clutch actuators or release bearings but those issues are far less common.

It's not a great transmission and I wouldn't recommend a DCT Focus but I understand them and it's true that they shouldn't be driven a certain way. If people can't accept that then that's fine but these are facts and there's plenty of evidence online to backup everything I'm saying. Personally I'm biding my time with the tune and sport mode until doing a manual swap is more feasible financially and after I've gotten some miles put on the car.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts