Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
"Overall, the new look is much more refined and svelte, but to our eyes it somehow lacks the brashness and distinctiveness of the previous car."

Bingo.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Good start.

Now how about the 1.5/1.6 ecoboost and a 6 speed manual to replace the aging 2.0 5 speed in the upper trim levels?
Amen. A [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*ing men!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wonder how much abuse that engine can take (thinking about power increase here).

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Wonder how much abuse that engine can take (thinking about power increase here).
Look at modified Fiesta STs as they are pushing the boundaries of the 1.6 L EcoBoost currently, though at least in Europe if not North America for 2015 is downgrading to the 1.5L EcoBoost in the Fiesta ST.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the old (2011) German 1.6L Ecoboost with "150hp". Well obviously the 150hp engine is exactly the same as the 182hp engine, they just adjusted the engine control Software to only have the Turbo Charger run on overboost up to 3500 RPM in my Version while the 182hp one uses overboost up to 4000 RPM. Obviously the engine could do much more, I'd claim 250hp would easily be possible, the question is rather how much abuse the gearbox can take...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The 1.0L has been around for a few years now and is relatively reliable in Europe. I would love to get one - broad torque range with a turbo engine, 6 speed manual ... would be a nice car.

Timing belts scare me. Belt driven oil pumps scare me more.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
So is the 2015 still a mk3?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Noticed that they removed the air vents under the radio unit, but for good reason, since they don't exactly work too well.

Really good looking car. A bit more conservatively styled, sure, but a very handsome vehicle still.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Noticed that they removed the air vents under the radio unit, but for good reason, since they don't exactly work too well.

Really good looking car. A bit more conservatively styled, sure, but a very handsome vehicle still.
They worked as intended as long as the upper vent was pointed down. It's a secondary vent not one that directly gets airflow from the hvac module.

·
Registered
500 Posts
i think it was puma speeds web site i was looking at when i was back in blighty they already got kits for these engines n its ridiculous what these guys are getting from these cars

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Interesting read on the 1.0 Ecoboost:

"The engine is an iron block, which struck me as oddly old-school in light of how advanced the engine design seems, but when I brought this up to an engineer, he schooled me but good. I'm glad he didn't slap me again. He explained that iron was a deliberate decision. When it comes to strength, aluminum and other alloys still can't beat iron, and the only way to get the block strong and small (it's less than a foot long) iron was really the only way. Plus, iron needs no cylinder liners, less material to support everything, and the weight isn't bad at all: the total engine, with all ancillaries, weighs only about 215 lbs"

http://jalopnik.com/why-fords-tiny-1-liter-3-cylinder-is-the-future-of-ga-1543662936

·
Registered
81 Posts
What scares Me the most is 1liter engine with 125 horse power. [wrenchin]

Then you sure missed Nick Tandy racing at the infamous Nürburgring race track in Germany. His 1.0L Ecoboost engine was basically "stock", but with custom firmware and gears it was nominally having 205 hp...

He drove the famous "Nordschleife" part of the track in 7 minutes and 22 seconds. That is one of the best times ever and even beats the times other drivers had with "Top of the line" super sports cars like Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari Enzo or Pagani Zonda.

Try to think about that before you think like "Oh only 1.0L engine...". Hehehe

(German Wikipedia entry, at bottom of the 1.0L part...)

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
One wouldn't be in the boost all the time (I would assume). But being a GTDI engine, as soon as you do hit boost, mileage is going to drop because it's going to overfuel to prevent pinging.

If you drive it like a 1.0L NA engine, it'll get good mileage.

So how do I connect that 6 speed to my 11 Focus :D

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Fundamentally yes since it's still a C346. But some are referring to it as a MK3.5
Got it. That's kinda what I thought but I wasn't sure the specifics. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts