Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

My car threw the code PO902 today(clutch actuator circuit low) but I have been reading that it could be the TCM. Would it be better to just go ahead and replace the TCM or try and swap the actuator motors around and see if the fault follows? Also if I replace the TCM would I have to have the car reprogrammed by a dealer or is there someway I could do this myself. What would be the consequences of swapping the TCM and not having the car reprogrammed? Would the car not run at all or would it just not shift right? The car has 145000 miles on it and I am aware of the transmission issues but this is the first one for me and I bought the car brand new. However I have never had any of the Service Bulletins or anything done on the car as I have done all the maintenance myself and just use the car to commute back and forth to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was at a complete stop and started to accelerate and the car had a violent jerk and almost stalled out. It never completely stalled out and quit, but it threw the code and continues to jerk in the lower gears from 1st to 2nd. However, once it gets to 40+ the car is fine. The car has always shuttered a bit since around 30000 miles, but it never really bothered me enough to do anything about it. This is the first CEL the car has had since I've had it brand new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so the dealer said the transmission was covered until 150000 miles. So if the CEL I have matches what they have been authorized to come then they will cover it. My next question is do you think they will warranty the work if I have not kept up with my devices besides routine maintenance and oil changes? I have done all the routine maintenance myself but I have never messed with the transmission such as changing the fluids. The car has 135000 miles on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealership told me that it was the 2 clutch actuators that were faulty and quoted me at 1700 bucks to change them also said the TCM would need to be replaced as well and it was covered under the extended warranty! Could the TCM being faulty cause the clutch actuator CEL indication? I told them to go ahead and replace the TCM but I would replace the actuators myself if the TCM replacement didn't fix the issue. Sounds to me like they are trying to pull a fast one on me!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Code P07a3 2013 83k ford focus. Based on a ford service recommendation noted in the vins history before I bought it and research this is Actuator A possibly. I would also like a source to identify which actuator is which and or how to verify failure through inspection.

Some info I found. I suspect A but I'm not 100%.

""I'm actually a service adviser at a Ford dealership. Yes, there are two actuators located in the transmission control module (TCM). These actuators operate the shift actuators (or clutch forks) A and B. Fork A operates gears 1, 3 & 5. Fork B operates 2, 4, 6 and reverse. Unfortunately, the extended coverages on the TCM and clutch assembly do not include the clutch forks. Parts and labor usually comes out to around $1200.00. What we have done in the past is replace the clutch assembly under warranty if applicable, then charge the customer for the additional parts (clutch forks) only, not the labor. Going that route means the customer only pays around $400.00.""

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t44541_ds714625

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Code P07a3 2013 83k ford focus. Based on a ford service recommendation noted in the vins history before I bought it and research this is Actuator A possibly. I would also like a source to identify which actuator is which and or how to verify failure through inspection.

""I'm actually a service adviser at a Ford dealership. Yes, there are two actuators located in the transmission control module (TCM). These actuators operate the shift actuators (or clutch forks) A and B. Fork A operates gears 1, 3 & 5. Fork B operates 2, 4, 6 and reverse. Unfortunately, the extended coverages on the TCM and clutch assembly do not include the clutch forks. Parts and labor usually comes out to around $1200.00. What we have done in the past is replace the clutch assembly under warranty if applicable, then charge the customer for the additional parts (clutch forks) only, not the labor. Going that route means the customer only pays around $400.00.""

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t44541_ds714625
There are 2 actuators built into the TCM, yes. They are the shift actuator motors. They control what gear the transmission is physically in. There are also 2 actuator motors external to the TCM. They are the clutch actuator motors. The TCM does not directly control the clutch. There are 2 clutch actuator levers inside the bell housing, that physically interact with the clutch. The TCM controls the clutch, indirectly, through the external clutch actuator motors and levers.

Replacing the clutch, under warranty, when the failed component is actually the clutch actuator levers or motors, is warranty fraud. The clutch actuator levers should only be replaced if faulty. If the clutch actuator levers are not covered under warranty, the clutch failure is also not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ford Focus Questions - Is the shift actuator part of the transmission control module? - CarGurus
Hi.. quick one, which among the2 clutch actuators is the B. The one beneath the engine or the one located on the upper side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks

My car threw the code PO902 today(clutch actuator circuit low) but I have been reading that it could be the TCM. Would it be better to just go ahead and replace the TCM or try and swap the actuator motors around and see if the fault follows? Also if I replace the TCM would I have to have the car reprogrammed by a dealer or is there someway I could do this myself. What would be the consequences of swapping the TCM and not having the car reprogrammed? Would the car not run at all or would it just not shift right? The car has 145000 miles on it and I am aware of the transmission issues but this is the first one for me and I bought the car brand new. However I have never had any of the Service Bulletins or anything done on the car as I have done all the maintenance myself and just use the car to commute back and forth to work.
My 2013had the same code thrown up. “Clutch actuator low circuit” but a P090C code (I assume one is actuator a vs actuator b) and brought it in to get checked. Wouldn’t reverse and shifted like a bucking bull. The dealership told me that it was the TCM and replaced under warranty. Only took from July 12th drop off to September 1st pickup. Funny how it only took a week after they got me a rental car…

definitely take it to the dealership to check it out. Warranty on a TCM is still good and saves some decent money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was at a complete stop and started to accelerate and the car had a violent jerk and almost stalled out. It never completely stalled out and quit, but it threw the code and continues to jerk in the lower gears from 1st to 2nd. However, once it gets to 40+ the car is fine. The car has always shuttered a bit since around 30000 miles, but it never really bothered me enough to do anything about it. This is the first CEL the car has had since I've had it brand new.
Hello have you found any solutions. I’ve replaced my tcm and actuators

1 - 20 of 23 Posts