Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, currently i own a 2010 Focus SE coupe with an auto trans. I still owe some money on it but im thinking about trading it in on a 2014 SE hatch that I found for $16,000. The hatch has a manual transmission, leather, and bluetooth. Unlike my coupe that has none of those options. Im thinking that it would be worth it to go see what kind of deal i can make on it. Whats yall's opinion?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same car - but 2013. SE + appearance package and manual trans. I picked it up new for $17,600 + tax and license. The price being offered is OK, but not a home run.

Work on him a bit.

As far as the car goes - it's great. Manual avoids all the negatives of the car. The clutch increases in smoothness as it wears in. Great after 10K miles. Before that, slightly sticky. (chatter)

Also replaced the RMM with the e-focus unit. Great drivability upgrade for the manual. Pretty much eliminates the bucking if clutch engagement isn't perfect. A little bit of vibration makes it in to the cabin.

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you were to ask me a couple years ago I would say go for it. I've since learned how great it is to no longer have a car payment though. I would say pay off your 2010 and start saving for your next car. Every extra dollar you put down on your next car is extra money in your pocket because you're not paying interest on it. A 2010 is not that old of a car. If you can pay it off before you have to start doing more frequent repairs I think you'd be better off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure if ill make it that far prior to doing the repairs....i do very good on the maintenance side of it but i already have some repairs that have to be made to the headlights as well as i never liked the automatic in anything ive owned...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Simply put it's a great car but I would agree with the payments statement -- if you go for the '14, plan to stick with it for some time.

You should be able to work the price down a little more, too. It's the end of the year and manuals aren't exactly a hot commodity. Nobody's buying unless they know they want one, so use that to your advantage. If you tell them that you're sick of your automatic and want a manual they'll never budge.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
If you can swing the little extra I'd reccomend trying to find a used ST1, should be comparable in price.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you can swing the little extra I'd reccomend trying to find a used ST1, should be comparable in price.
Good luck, those cars sale like hot cakes and I havent seen one yet under $19k. I found a 13' ST with 8k miles for $21k but I went with a new 14' fusion instead. I don't think you can find a ST for $16k yet and I figure they will keep their value just like the MS3. But around $20k is doable, if you can find one near you anyways.

As far as buying a new car, that's completely up to you. Go to the dealer and see what they will give you for your car and if they can match the payment even better. But before you go make sure you have a max payment you can afford and comfortable with. If they can't get it there then walk away, nothing is worse paying a car payment higher than you wanted for 4, 5, or 6 years.

·
Registered
658 Posts
So, currently i own a 2010 Focus SE coupe with an auto trans. I still owe some money on it but im thinking about trading it in on a 2014 SE hatch that I found for $16,000. The hatch has a manual transmission, leather, and bluetooth. Unlike my coupe that has none of those options. Im thinking that it would be worth it to go see what kind of deal i can make on it. Whats yall's opinion?
I take it, the 2014 is new? If it is, that's not a bad price, depending on how you do with the trade-in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 14 is new and only has like 20 miles on it looking at the odometer pick. I'm going to go look at it this weekend and see what I can work out. My uncle has worked at a car dealership for 30 years And has taught me a few tricks. I can walk away luckily because I've already got the other car and I'm aware of that. Even if they finance it at the same monthly price as I'm already paying I won't have any problem picking it up even for a longer loan period. My motorcycle will be paid off in 6 months and I'll just dump that payment on top of the car payment and double down too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The 14 is new and only has like 20 miles on it looking at the odometer pick. I'm going to go look at it this weekend and see what I can work out. My uncle has worked at a car dealership for 30 years And has taught me a few tricks. I can walk away luckily because I've already got the other car and I'm aware of that. Even if they finance it at the same monthly price as I'm already paying I won't have any problem picking it up even for a longer loan period. My motorcycle will be paid off in 6 months and I'll just dump that payment on top of the car payment and double down too.
Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I did a KBB check with the options that were listed on the car and its still about a grand less than for a used car with 6000 miles. ?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Brand new 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback (in Arkansas)

0 miles
5 speed manual transmission
Leather interior

Look at what the dealer would offer for the car if you traded it back in the same day. Use that as a basis for your decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Who trades their car in the next day?

Anyway, sure used is cheaper, but try finding a used '14 Focus with Manual, and under 100 miles.

Also, when buying used, interest rates are higher, negating some of the savings. 1.9% vs 5.9% sometimes, depends on deal, bank, credit, etc.

Do the math and decide what works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts