Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been daily driving a 2014 se hatchback DCT for about 5 years now and while I am happy with the aesthetic I have achieved (RS OEM wing, and aggressive looking ROKBLOX mudflaps), I am looking to make the car look and feel more sporty and fun to drive. I am aware that the ST and RS are far superior in terms of modability and overall performance but I can both not afford them and already have my se.

Starting with appearance upgrades, I have looked into swapping to an ST front bumper and was wondering what else is out there that people have done. I really like the body lines of the focus and want to have an even better looking car.

My main performance questions are where to start since suspension, new tires/wheels, rear motor mounts, intake, exhaust, and tuning are all popular options. I am curious if cooling upgrades are worth the time and effort as well, since I have read that STs can have heat sink issues and benefit greatly from aftermarket FMIC upgrades. I am aware there are turbo kits out there and I may do that some time down the road but I do not have the money for that sort of thing yet.

I think I should probably note that me and my dad would be doing the vast majority of the work on the car ourselves as he is an experienced mechanic and I am learning, but neither of us are professional ford technicians. Another limitation I have is that my job does not allow consecutive days off, so my time to wrench is limited to single day projects, or possibly something I can start in the evening and finish the following day. Budget is not unlimited but for a little extra fun I am willing to get better than the minimum quality parts as long as the car remains reliable as a daily driver. I am just curious to see what options I have that I have not even considered or come across so far.

Here are a few pics as of now to make up for the long post
unnamed(1).jpg unnamed(2).jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve been thinking to swapping the engine for an ST one as I wanna swap that transmission as well but there is few things that I have to put in the balance as well like a new PCM with an used vin for exemple and all of that crap. Pretty big headache just for upgrading a car.

you can change front back bumper if you like, add a sync 3 with touch screen as well, and change your muffler. I guess that with an after market muffler you can a have a bit more power at the end which is normal, but I wonder if that can cause any trouble to the engine later. I’ve never heard about any real study of it, I’m waiting few weeks before I can finally have my own mechanic shop from there I’m going to work on my piece of ....... as much I love my car for the shape and the history that I have with that car, I can totally say that it’s a pain ....

·
Registered
29 Posts
For Appearance upgrades I would install the fswerks or similar hood struts. They make working on your engine so much easier without the hood strut getting in the way. If you havent yet I would upgrade to LEDs all around as they 1.) look way nicer than halogens, and 2.) they give you better view of the road at night. From the pictures youve posted, it looks like your windows are tinted. was gonna suggest doing that, not only for how it looks but for the benefits that comes with them as well. Ive noticed a lot cooler temps since getting it installed As for Performance I would start with the Throttle body of the Ecoboost 2.3L Mustang and pair it with a Cold air Intake from FSWERKS, K&N, etc and do the snorkel delete to maximize performance. A tune isnt necessary to gain the benefits of those upgrades, but if you want to purchase it now and keep performance mods, he will will tune for free, its in the cost of the tune at the start, but after installing the TB you should reteach your TCM for the shift points, just google form TCM relearn and you should be able to find it. Also An aftermarket exhaust from FSWERKS, Borla, etc will make your car exhale better and sounds a lot better. I personally have the race exhaust from FSWERKS and it sounds really good. It is loud at times so if thats something you arent into, maybe the stealth option would suit you better. The 180 thermostat ive heard is a good mod, im gonna be doing that shortly. Other than that Im not sure of what else to recommend as Ive only had my '17 focus sel for about 3 months, and am still looking for things to do as well. The things ive listed are things i have either done or plan on doing in the future so ive been researching them for a little now. Hope I gave you a few ideas and hope your build goes smoothly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All good advice I think I’ll go RMM then TB and tune in that order so I can see the performance as I add more bolt ons. Good to see there’s options out there at every common upgrade.

I also appreciate the tips about The TCM I had no idea about that so that’s awesome to know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That sounds like a good plan. I really want to do the RMM and Tune as well but all the money im making is going towards paying off the car, so once thats done ill be free to do more upgrades to my focus. And I think theres a misconception about focuses and how there isnt really much to do, but in reality there is a ton of products and information on every mod, Its probably not as extensive as say a mustang, but I think the varieties out there are sufficient enough to make the focus look better. And I found out about the TCM while researching the TB upgrade. I think the video i found is from a ford truck but the process is the probably the same. It helps to do the reset whenever you are working on power upgrades, and whenever you disconnect the battery for more than 30 minutes as the power drains out of the computer and you have to reteach your computers afterwards. At least thats the explanation they gave. I hope you will keep us updated on your build as every modded focus should be shown off to give inspiration to others that are just getting started.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:
Just ordered COBB RMM and Steeda jacking rails (for quality of life) looking forward to installing them and keeping the thread updated on the build

·
Registered
59 Posts
. And I think theres a misconception about focuses and how there isnt really much to do, but in reality there is a ton of products and information on every mod, Its probably not as extensive as say a mustang, but I think the varieties out there are sufficient enough to make the focus look better.
A large part of why I chose a Focus over other "economy" cars in a similar price range is because I knew compared to other options there'd be good support for modding/mechanics; and a large parts bin from Ford and aftermarket for upgrades.
I think it's pretty cool you can buy a base model and just bolt parts on from an RS and ST and Mustang. Can't do that with a Hyundai.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would get a tune asap. I bought this car and drove it for almost a year without the tune. Big mistake, after the tune, it drives a million times better and has just enough punch for daily driving. From there just get the turbo kit if you want more juice. Intake and exhaust on these cars will only net you a few horsepower.

easy mods:
Steeda rear sway bar
motor mount
Drop in filter with snorkel delete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finished the Cobb RMM install about an hour ago. First things first I have never removed a part from any car aside from air filters and brakes. So I am not an expert mechanic however I do have a lot of general mechanical knowledge. That being said the install took about an hour. The OEM Mount comes out easy and even with Very minor north eastern rust everything went pretty smooth. I’d recommend getting every tool together first and you should be golden.

The ride is definitely noticeably different and at idle NVH is worse for sure but if you’re anything like me the sacrifice is actually a bonus since you now can feel the car’s power when you’re in it. Only driven about ten miles so far on it but I would 100% recommend it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts