Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

What are your recommendations for driving the car off the lot for the first few miles?

should I be gentle on the accelerator? Or just give it throttle for good learning habits.

Going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Brand new 2014.

Thank you

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hello everyone.

What are your recommendations for driving the car off the lot for the first few miles?

should I be gentle on the accelerator? Or just give it throttle for good learning habits.

Thank you
Drive it like it is the car you always had. Don't bother with any special treatment. New cars are much less problematic for break-in. It will behave different than your last car, but it should not require any special treatment for you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hello everyone.

Thank you
To expand on the previous two replies --

For the first ~1000 miles, don't drive it at constant speeds for a long period of time (i.e. don't take it on a cross-country road trip). Try to be varied with the conditions you drive it in - drive around town in stop and go traffic, at back roads speeds, and on the highway. The engine has to break in and the transmission has to learn your driving style. Be deliberate with the throttle and don't creep in traffic.

Also, consider changing your oil after the first 1000 or so miles. While folks around here can't seem to come to a consensus on the value of this on a new car, you likely will be helping your engine in the long run by swapping out the oil so early. After that, it's safe to follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

Welcome to the club!

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I'm in the drive it like you plan on driving it group. Definitely change the oil after the first 1,000 miles, then at 5,000 then every 5,000 after that. Every 5,000 is the perfect time for your tires to be rotated too and if you stay on a 5,000 mile oil change plan you'll never have to have one of those stickers on your windshield to remind you what mileage it should be changed next time. Enjoy your new car!

Reactions: SMARTINEAU

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2014 SE Sedan back in September last year. I drove the car in all sorts of conditions. I treated it like I did my old manual 00' Focus LX. Basically treat it like a manaul car and the DCT will behave extremely well. My car is super smooth, even in stop and go traffic. Maybe because I don't stop and go much but rather coast a few cars back going slow so I minimize stopping like I did in my manual car to minimize shifting. I also resisted the urge to accelerate rapidly for the first 5000 miles. I didn't even take my car above 75mph. I have had 0 issues with my transmission, I'm extremely happy with the car. I changed the oil out at 2000 miles and put full synthetic in the engine. Right now it doesn't matter if I accelerate slowly, creep along, or full throttle it...the DCT goes and it is so smooth. My gf has a 2014 Jetta and her transmission is jerky in comparison, I'm a fan of the DCT. By the way, my car is a August 2013 build date.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts