Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the headlight bulbs on my 2014 SE hatchback and am looking for suggestions for a good white light output replacement.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here's a web site with reviews of various headlamp bulbs:

http://headlightreviews.com/

One thing to remember: the whiter the bulb, the lower the life of the bulb. That's because a blue coating is required to get the bulb output to look whiter, and the filament has to be driven harder to get the same amount of light output as a bulb without the coating.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
If you really want pure white, consider getting at set of these...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had good luck with Philips X-Treme Vision, but I haven't actually tried the H11 or used them in my Focus (I had them in my Accord).

·
Registered
533 Posts
I got the Sylvania ZXE bulbs for cheap on ebay. They've worked great for well over a year now. The biggest benefit was adjusting the headlights up 2.5 turns. Much better spread of the light.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
There isn't a single H11 halogen bulb on the market that will give you enough light over stock to 1) be worth the money and 2) not burn out absurdly quick.

The two options for more light is to modify an H9 bulb (and still deal with slightly shorter bulb life), or get HID lights and projectors.

I've done it all, and new H11 bulbs are a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Osram Nightbreakers.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am waiting for my D3S retrofit setup but in the meantime I put in the Philips CrystalVision Ultra. I must say that they are not bad for blue coated bulbs.

I am sure that the X-Tremem visions are brighter but these crystal vision ultras are not dim by any perceptible measure.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am waiting for my D3S retrofit setup but in the meantime I put in the Philips CrystalVision Ultra. I must say that they are not bad for blue coated bulbs.

I am sure that the X-Tremem visions are brighter but these crystal vision ultras are not dim by any perceptible measure.
Why did you opt for D3S and not another bulb type? There seems to be so many to pick from.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There isn't a single H11 halogen bulb on the market that will give you enough light over stock to 1) be worth the money and 2) not burn out absurdly quick.

The two options for more light is to modify an H9 bulb (and still deal with slightly shorter bulb life), or get HID lights and projectors.

I've done it all, and new H11 bulbs are a complete waste of money.
H11 bulbs in my old Altima 2 years no problems. In my opinion better light at night. My focus 3 weeks with sylvania H11 brighter than stock. As for wasting money have to disagree in my opinion.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yup - I just installed a set yesterday. They are definitely whiter - i dont know about brighter but since they are not perceptibly dimmer I think I am keeping these. The color is nice too unlike the Sylvania silverstars that are a weird greenish-purple color.

I think the Diamond Visions would be neat too for those who really like super white headlights

I ordered a set of the Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra from Amazon for $31. They are without a doubt brighter then the stock bulbs, not HID bright but they are about on par with Sylvania ZXE bulbs I had in my last car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480GYSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
38 Posts
In my experience, any brighter or whiter halogen bulbs don't last long enough to justify the price. For what you pay for say, Sylvania Silverstars, you can get a set of HIDs from places like DDM Tuning and they'll last MUCH longer.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
In my experience, any brighter or whiter halogen bulbs don't last long enough to justify the price. For what you pay for say, Sylvania Silverstars, you can get a set of HIDs from places like DDM Tuning and they'll last MUCH longer.
But then you have to buy a set of decent projector headlights, or retrofit projectors into your stock headlights. You could buy 3+ sets of brighter halogen lights for that price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
But then you have to buy a set of decent projector headlights, or retrofit projectors into your stock headlights. You could buy 3+ sets of brighter halogen lights for that price.
You don't "have to". I've had HIDs in many cars over the years with no problems. Make sure they are adjusted correctly and you will be fine. Our headlights actually are one of the better ones I've seen as far as using plug and play kits. You still have a fairly decent soft cutoff line and not that much glare, as long as you go with a 35 watt kit and don't get a 55 watt kit.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
You don't "have to". I've had HIDs in many cars over the years with no problems. Make sure they are adjusted correctly and you will be fine. Our headlights actually are one of the better ones I've seen as far as using plug and play kits. You still have a fairly decent soft cutoff line and not that much glare, as long as you go with a 35 watt kit and don't get a 55 watt kit.
Yeah, you don't "have to", but you also don't "have" to be the a-hole running around blinding people with their HIDs.

If you aim them low enough to not blind people, they put out less useful light then the halogens would. Plus the light pattern absolutely sucks without the projector.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts