Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys and thank you for taking the time to read my post. i recently purchased my ford focus about a month ago and unfortunately was only able to drive this car home once. upon driving it home the cars transmission started acting as if it was slipping and it was like it went into neutral several times after coming to a stop and than going again and it would catch. i finally limped it home and after i parked it i went out the next day to see what was up and i had zero reverse and still dont. i scanned the cars engine codes and i am get p090c followed by code p2872. here are the things i did try. cleaning the grounds for voltage, i need to do a better once over of the wiring. i swapped the clutch actuators on the transmission and thats when i got p2872 which before i had that code i got clutch actuator b stuck engaged so now it is telling me that a is stuck engaged. i am stuck in a rock and a hard place and need some advice. i actually purchased 2 actuators straight from the dealer and still getting the codes for stuck engaged so im wondering if these are faulty or not. if anyone has the patience to help me out here is greatly appreciate it because my ford dealer is severly backed up

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
755 Posts
What's your mileage?
P2872 is Clutch "A" Stuck Engaged
P090C is Clutch "B" Actuator Control Circuit Low
The TCM(transmission control module) is likely responsible for this especially since you already replaced the actuators with new units. It's a common problem for the DCT auto trans.
If your mileage is below 150k miles and 10 years then you are still under the extended Ford TCM warranty. Drive it to the dealer and tell them the TCM likely needs to be replaced under the warranty. You may have to wait for a few weeks until they get one in. I hear there's a few week wait with the chip shortage.
The clutch forks are also known to be problematic. Hope that it's not that because that means ripping apart the trans and it's big $ to do that. However, this issue will probably go away after the TCM is replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your mileage?
P2872 is Clutch "A" Stuck Engaged
P090C is Clutch "B" Actuator Control Circuit Low
The TCM(transmission control module) is likely responsible for this especially since you already replaced the actuators with new units. It's a common problem for the DCT auto trans.
If your mileage is below 150k miles and 10 years then you are still under the extended Ford TCM warranty. Drive it to the dealer and tell them the TCM likely needs to be replaced under the warranty. You may have to wait for a few weeks until they get one in. I hear there's a few week wait with the chip shortage.
The clutch forks are also known to be problematic. Hope that it's not that because that means ripping apart the trans and it's big $ to do that. However, this issue will probably go away after the TCM is replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my mileage is sittimg at 110,349. i bought this car about 3 weeks ago and literally only was able to drive it 1 time. on the way home it started shifting funny and sometimes would not engage gears and just rev rpms so i would have to limp the car home but lightly accelerating. i got it home and parked it and the next day i went out to check the mil and it was showing those codes. i stumbled across alldatadiy and have all the information on how to tear this trans apart if i had to. i than got the information through carfax to see if there was any info on any service it may have had and sure enough at 50 some thousand miles it says that the clutch was replaced on the car. the 1 thing i did not see replaced was the tcm. i was looking at the transmission today and it does say clutch update on it with the sticker. do you think that the clutch may have went bad again and if i call the dealer it was actually serviced at they could possibly give me more info and maybe since the car is only 10k over the clutch warranty they may make some acception if it happens to be. my thought was to pull the tcm....order a new one online and than buy what i hear forscan that i guess actually programs the tcm and than relearn the shift points or should i just sit on the car until the end of august because ford is so damn backed up? thank you for your time and input.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I definitely don't recommend digging inside the DCT. I don't know how much good it will do to try to get into this trans yourself as Ford has the only access to the inside parts and their servicing dealers get first dibs on some of the already hard to get internals. A few people have posted in the last couple of months how they've waited for weeks to get their car back once the trans gets opened up just for a clutch job or trans rebuild. Also, you won't be able to update the TCM to the latest revision yourself since only Ford can do that as far as I know.
Even if the TCM was replaced once, twice, or more times in the past it's still covered under the 150k mile warranty so there's no need to worry. The P090C code is usually due to the TCM. Take it to the dealer and tell them you put in brand new clutch actuators.
It's good that the clutch was replaced at 50k. At 110k miles you should have another 50k or so until it needs replacing again. As long as it's an updated clutch with the revised TCM, most up to date software, and newest design actuators you should get a solid 110k-130k miles out of a clutch.
When the clutch starts going you will get slippage and usually trans overheating warnings. Your MPG will also drop some.
I wouldn't count on any exception to be made with a warranty unfortunately. I would raise hell at the dealer and Ford corporate phone reps if I was just over the warranty expiration but I've heard a few people on here already try and plead their case that their cars are just over to no avail. Plus, you'd be over 10k over the warranty, not like 1k. Your clutch doesn't seem to be the issue anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 great thing about the car is i got a descent deal on it. the car is very clean with no accidents and it is a 1 owner car with correct mileage on it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
These cars get excellent mileage and cost very little to operate. It's good that you got a good deal on it. The 2.0L engine will last a very long time.
I'm sure that it'll be a free fix for you. TCM modules are a constant problem for DCT Focuses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts