Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this post is to Help someone with the same problem . I work in a Nissan dealership . I recently had a 2014 Ford focus come into the shop with the timing cover leak . For the most part the timing cover resale was one of the easiest that I’ve ever done . However after I put it all back together the vehicle would not start. I remembered when I remove the crank pulley it did not have a keyway to lock the pulley in place .also on the Polly itself it has little teeth on the back side of it for the crank sensor . I had a long screwdriver in my toolbox removed spark plug in cylinder one and put the screwdriver down the spark plug hole . I turned the crank shaft until the screwdriver moved all the way to the top Of the head . This is how you find top dead center if you don’t have any marks . I then removed the crankshaft pulley . On the pulley itself there is a hole . On the timing cover there is also a hole . Line up the hall on the crankshaft pulley and the timing cover . Then tighten the crankshaft back down. After doing this and putting it back together the car started right up .

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The purpose of this post is to Help someone with the same problem . I work in a Nissan dealership . I recently had a 2014 Ford focus come into the shop with the timing cover leak . For the most part the timing cover resell was one of the easiest that I’ve ever done . However after I put it all back together the vehicle would not start. I remembered when I remove the crank pulley it did not have a keyway to lock the pulley in place .also on the Pully itself it has little teeth on the back side of it for the crank sensor . I had a long screwdriver in my toolbox removed spark plug in cylinder one and put the screwdriver down the spark plug hole . I turned the crank shaft until the screwdriver moved all the way to the top Of the head . This is how you find top dead center if you don’t have any marks . I then removed the crankshaft pulley . On the pulley itself there is a whole . On the timing cover there is also a whole . Line up the whole on the crankshaft pulley and the timing cover . Then tighten the crankshaft back down. After doing this and putting it back together the car started right up .

·
FF Affiliate
30,363 Posts
There is a Tool to line up the Balancer to the hall , if this isnt spot on then you added or took out ignition timing

Did you change the diamond encrusted washers you need to change , thats what holds the crank timing gear from spinning because there is no key way ?

Tom

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I'd think the 1st thing you'd do is get #1 to tdc....like on any other engine. Like said above, use a new bolt & special washer....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts