Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at buying a focus st from Des Moines, Iowa (it’s now in Minnesota) it had an accident on 9/20/2019 (from what VIN records say) to the front and right - I have a few photos of it after repair. It was enthusiast owned and I am just hoping to find the original owner with some info on the crash!! Long shot - but if you know Iowa focus people maybe we’d get more info

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don’t find the owner here, you may find them at www.focusst.org.
Thanks! I’ll throw a posting up there too. Does a rebuilt title on a focus like this scare you guys off? Trying to talk them down on price but maybe it’s not worth any of the headache. For example - is it actually possible for a car to be totaled/salvaged from only bumper/headlight damage and no engine/suspension work needed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don’t find the owner here, you may find them at www.focusst.org.
Thanks! I’ll throw a posting up there too. Does a rebuilt title on a focus like this scare you guys off? Trying to talk them down on price but maybe it’s not worth any of the headache. For example - is it actually possible for a car to be totaled/salvaged from only bumper/headlight damage and no engine/suspension work needed?

·
Registered
51 Posts
...Does a rebuilt title on a focus like this scare you guys off?....
It would definitely give me pause. For me, moving forward with the purchase of a salvaged vehicle would depend on a few things....
1. Do you know what happened to the car that caused it to be totaled? How credible is that information?
2. How much work, effort, and money are you willing to put into it you discover it wasn't fixed properly. How confident are you that you will have the tools, skills, and time to fix and maintain it to your satisfaction?
3. If the car has or develops weird, quirky residual issues from the collision, are you in a position to allow the car to sit for an extended period while sorting through those hard to diagnose and fix issues.

If the answer to any of those questions is "no" or "I'm not sure".....I'd be hesitant to move forward.

You can answer "no" or "I'm not sure" to those questions for a non-salvaged car; however, there is a higher likelihood problems will arise from salvaged vehicles compared to non-salvaged vehicles.

... is it actually possible for a car to be totaled/salvaged from only bumper/headlight damage and no engine/suspension work needed?
What year ST is it? Is it a 2013-18 or one of the early 2000 ST's? Assuming it's a 2013-18....

I'm not an expert, nor do I have any auto industry specific experience, but I'd be surprised if a minor fender bender caused a 5-6 year old car to be totaled. That said, headlight replacements on the 2013-18's are ~$1k. Snowflake wheels are about that same cost. Throw in a crumpled bumper, fender, cost of repainting and maybe having to replace some of the wheel components and I could see the costs adding up quickly to the point fixing it exceeds it's book value.

Although I'm a happy owner of a 2017 ST1, I'd be pretty selective when buying a used one - especially if I were relying on it to get myself to school, work, or other essential locations. Those cars are super fun to drive (ie. difficult to drive them like you have sense). I suspect the majority of them are driven hard. Personally, when buying a used car, I think it's as much about checking out the owner and the car's history as it is about checking out the current condition of the car.

EDIT: Sorry!! I didn't notice the pictures you included. My apologies for not paying attention very well!! :) The mudflaps, window stickers, red Ford badge and carbon fiber interior accents wreak of it being driven hard. My tolerance for risk my not be as high as yours but I'd be quite leery.

·
So mote be it
8,856 Posts
I would pass on that one. Price is way too high for it not having a clean title. Clean title ST's can be found for under $14k. I would widen your search, be open to travel for a good deal.
ex: Used 2014 Ford Focus 5dr HB ST for Sale in Ames IA 50010 Amescars

For a salvage title, i would have to be confident in the repairs and know what the accident was. It would also need to be under $10k for the miles that one has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your guys’ help!! The stickers worried me as well - I will be widening my search and continuing on - it’s not a great deal and the car salesman starting talking to his boss I’m Russian in front of me so I don’t trust they are being 100% upfront with me.

thanks guys 😊

1 - 8 of 8 Posts