Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fanatics!

My name is Detoine. I used to frequent this website when I owned a 2013 Ford Focus (posted as FocusStrider in the past). Since then, I have been inactive. :-(

Now, I am back. I have been driving a 2014 Ford Focus since 2014 (got it brand new). The car had no issues (except for TCM replacement twice) throughout its 114,000 miles.

Now... this is the issue.

My car has had a check engine light on. Sometimes when I try to shift it from P to S, the D only shows up, but the S doesn't. The car shifts WORSE, especially from 1-2 gear. It loses power for a little bit, and then gains power as it goes into 3rd gear and up. When I parked my car for a few minutes (doing errands or just park) and then start the car again.. I get S back and it shifts just fine, except for a little issue from 1-2 gear.

The code used to be P090C, but now it changes to P07A5 Transmission Friction Element "B" Stuck On".

I have NO Idea what the code is, but I know it cannot be TCM because it was JUST replaced. My clutch is fine because if it is clutch, I wouldn't be able to drive the car at all.

Is it possible that my transmission fluid is leaking? is it possible that one of the actuators needed to be replaced? I already have one of the actuators on way.

I would need all of your help with your feedback.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It could be a clutch motor.... It could be another TCM.... It could be a clutch actuator. It could even be a clutch pack.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try changing the position of clutch actuator motors, i.e. clutch motor A to position B, clutch motor B to position A ...
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try changing the position of clutch actuator motors, i.e. clutch motor A to position B, clutch motor B to position A ...
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G960F using FF Mobile

I would need to jack the car up to do that. I don't have a jack, so what I am going to do is try to replace the clutch motor A first and see if the problem goes away.. if not, then i'd know which one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would point out that an inexpensive hydraulic jack is probably less money than the clutch motor, and is useful for many other things. If you replace the motor, and that's not it, you can't return it...

Buying parts as a part of troubleshooting isn't generally a good idea.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm assuming you've got the automatic? How do you drive the car? These cars seem like sometimes they like to be driven like you will beat them half to death. The TCM as you know learns your habits, so if you are slow and ginger with it in lower gears, it may have learned those habits from you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming you've got the automatic? How do you drive the car? These cars seem like sometimes they like to be driven like you will beat them half to death. The TCM as you know learns your habits, so if you are slow and ginger with it in lower gears, it may have learned those habits from you.

I don't baby my car. I love driving it in Sport Mode if that gives you an idea what kind of driver I am. I love driving it 5 above the speed limit on any roads. The only time I have to baby my car is when I just started experiencing the issue. :-(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Alright, I had one of my best friends check the actuators on my 2014 Focus. Two things we noticed:

1. The actuator (original) is black (not sure if it is supposed to be black or silver)

2. There is something white that looks like water went inside it. I will take a picture and show it to you guys. I can only replace one actuator at a time, so my car basically have one new and one old.. at least until I can get the bottom one replaced and hopefully it solves the issue. if not... that is going to suck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I'm in a similar boat, although both of my actuators look silver. I'm planning to replace the bottom actuator this week as I assume the B element refers to the B actuator, but I may be wrong. Let me know how you made out with yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts