Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I just joined because I figured I could consult a bunch of folks who also have a 2014 Ford Focus and may be able to weigh-in a little on something I am considering. To put it succinctly, when I had my Sunfire (Bubba) I wouldn't have thought twice about throwing a hitch on her and away we go because she was a trooper.

My predicament is in that I have a collection of tropical plants that get transported about 2-2.5 hours away from home each spring to the mountains and back home in the fall to over-winter in my home once the cabin is closed. Why? Because I have a tiki bar and well... I really like my plants. It's the only solution at this time, since we do not live there full time and our winters are not warm enough to be able to keep my plants outside (I wish).

That said, we have a pickup truck who is sadly out of commission and at the moment garaged until fixing him is a higher priority. I do the best I can loading my potted plants into the backseat and trunk of my car but honestly.... several are just too large to do this with. My BF hates the "annual migration of the plants" because it is cumbersome. I have contemplated a solution to this problem for sometime as being having a hitch put on my car and renting one of those small cargo trailers from Uhaul (or getting my own?) that way I can load everybody into the back in one non-messy go, with ease, and minimal damage (a pickup truck bed, tarp, wind, long distances, high speed, straps and large tropical plants are not a friendly mix).

So.... being that it is almost that time and I am gathering my plants and dreading putting bins of buggy muddy transplant ferns into my trunk, here I am. Finally. I made myself stop to sit down and finally do some reasearch. I see there are Focus' with hitches but generally not a good idea?

I do not want to haul anything significant or super heavy, like a motorcycle, etc. Here is a link to the trailer I would want to rent:

It's a bummer. I hate restrictions when I find viable options so I wish this was feasible. Particularly since it isn't a crazy heavy load. The largest/tallest plant is about 5' and the pot is heavy. It takes two of us to move him. That said, everyone else is pretty easy. Most of my plant cargo is in the form of small containers with bulbs I start at home. Just to give an idea.

Any feedback, greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
16,203 Posts
If car has the DCT Powershift trans I would not be towing ANYTHING, the car will break fast enough as it is. But then we do all create our own bed of troubles don't we?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
With a proper hitch and kit for the trailer lights that trailer will be fine. Drive at a reasonable speed don't push the car to hard.

The weak point in your car is the transmission if it's a automatic.

My wife has a Mazda 3 she towed with it while she was a travel nurse, but that car doesn't have the transmission issues yours does.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts